No wonder there are so many people ripping assets and reselling

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Cause there are absolutely ZERO repercussions for it.

1d1Vtn3.png

Lol. So basically if you see some pathetic ***** rip Batman's model from Batman Arkham Asylum, or Juliette from Lollypop Chainsaw, convert it into a .dae with zero edits, then list it for 599L, there is absolutely nothing you can do. I mean technically I shouldn't really care since I'm not associated with WB, but I'm just curious what's LL's thought process behind this? "Oh ripping stuff and selling it for profit is not nice, don't do it! But if you do... well nothing we can really do, so carry on". You can't even report these violations, which is absolutely retarded. I mean it's already stupid that WB or Nintendo needs to contact LL themselves in order to have some consequences dealt out (like WB or Nintendo gives a sh*t about something like SL lol), but now LL pretty much gave these assholes an invulnerability shield. That's pretty much the equivalent of copy/pasting Dickens' David Copperfield, rename the title to John McDick and put the author as yourself, then selling it in a bookstore, and never have to worry about getting fined or jailed because only Charles Dickens can file a complaint, but he's dead. I guess more morons buying these ripped off models = more $$$ for LL.

Edited by Suki Hirano

2 hours ago, Suki Hirano said:

"Oh ripping stuff and selling it for profit is not nice, don't do it! But if you do... well nothing we can really do, so carry on".

Unfortunately that is exactly how it is, there is literally nothing they can do - only the copyright owner can file a complaint. That's what the very Real real life laws in the USA says and LL has to follow that whether they like it or not.

• Like 4

LL is doing precisely all they are supposed to do, by law. It's out of their hands entirely. Take it up with the lawmakers if you disapprove with the laws. If you think this only applies to places like SL, you'd be dead wrong. 

• Like 3

Because LL cannot know if the maker has the permission, they had to find out the copyright holder, ask them if they gave permission, then file a complaint in someone elses name, maybe enter court for someone else ...

That´s why things are as they are. Your things your problem.

If you make a batman costume all yourself ! i don´t see as this can harm the copyright owner because they do not, like you say, care if that exists in SL.
(Actually they do care, trust me)

As for ripped stuff from Deviantart ... that´s just a matter of manpower vs. damage $.

Personally, i´m not a police officer, not getting payd for care about others stuff - so all this doesn´t bug me.

Monti

1 hour ago, Monti Messmer said:

Because LL cannot know if the maker has the permission, they had to find out the copyright holder, ask them if they gave permission, then file a complaint in someone elses name, maybe enter court for someone else ...

That's true, it's possible that anyone has legitimately licensed the rights to a particular work, although for bigger brands it's expensive and not likely to be approved without a promised threshold of income in the contract. The less popular the brand the more possible it is that you can license it affordably.

Although there is something LL can do about it if they really wanted to. LL could request that any licensed brand be registered with LL, with a copy of the authorization/contract between the brand and the creator.

LL could then relatively confidently remove any products that aren't registered with them.

Of course that would mean that LL would lose money on the infringed products. But hey, why combat a problem that you profit from?

Edited by DartAgain
  • Like 1

Hi there :)

In the next updates of the TOS (Terms of Service) there is an important change to come about Property Rights / DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act).

After July 31, 2017, Linden Lab will not respond anymore to any DMCA requests made inworld.

Annouced on July 11 in the Blog.

www.lindenlab.com : Details for Reporting Copyright Infringement

• Moderators

Hello Suki Hirano,

Reporting Copyright violations has never been possible through the Second Life Marketplace reporting tool. 

Copyright violations are legal violations and outside the purview of the members who address issues reported via the Marketplace reporting tool.

5 hours ago, marcov Carter said:

Hi there :)

In the next updates of the TOS (Terms of Service) there is an important change to come about Property Rights / DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act).

After July 31, 2017, Linden Lab will not respond anymore to any DMCA requests made inworld.

Annouced on July 11 in the Blog.

www.lindenlab.com : Details for Reporting Copyright Infringement

Al they did was spell the process out better, those aren't changes as much as they are compliance with the DMCA requirements, by law, and the process in which LL has to deal with them.  

If you don't own the copyright, you don't have a "right" to report it to LL anyway, and never have. You can tell the actual owner of the copyright if you so wish, but reporting it to LL has never been necessarily "allowed", as that's not how it works. (for all the reasons already specified above).

• Like 3

On 7/31/2017 at 9:38 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

I wonder how much money LL would lose requiring all sellers have multiple forms of identification on file, heh.

They tried it in 2007 under the guise of Age verification, so the Lab could make sure no real-life teens had escaped Loki and now could take off their underwear.

I sent my passport to a third party who checked I was a real person.

Some details here: http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/280/e3/181812/1.html

As usual the same junk excuses were used to justify it:-

We hope you’ll agree that the small inconvenience of doing this once is far outweighed by the benefits of protecting minors from inappropriate content. Further, this system will assist landowners in engaging in lawful businesses.

Edited by Callum Meriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.