Where to find LOCAL chat logs?

AnnabelleDovelight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, 

Thank you for looking at my question! First of all I already know where to find my im chat logs... its the log for Local chat that I cant seem to find. I go down the list of im logs over and over and cant find the Local log. I see .txt files for everyone I know, teleport histories, texture lists, url_histories... but no local log. Does it exist? Is it in another location? What is its .txt name? I would really appreciate any help on this if anyone can answer. 

Thank you!

-Anna.

16 answers to this question

You're looking in the right place, almost.  If you are in the AppData folders in your computer, go to Roaming >>> Secondlife >>> your_avatar's_name.  Open that folder and look in the subfolder named chat.  That will contain all of the local chat you have ever had.  Well, unless you have either set your viewer to not save chat logs or you have deleted the folder at some point.  If you've already found the IM folders, though, you know you have been saving logs.  ;)

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 4

I've been looking for the chat.txt file. I found one but its in an old spot from a previous installation of firestorm and doesn't have any of the chat that I need. Just old stuff. Its crazy that I cant find the chat.txt in my log folder! Even my sister couldn't find it, there is not a chat.txt in my logs. I don't know why... is there a setting in firestorm that keeps it from recording just Local chat? I don't remember changing settings but something must have happened.

Just now, AnnabelleDovelight said:

I've been looking for the chat.txt file. I found one but its in an old spot from a previous installation of firestorm and doesn't have any of the chat that I need. Just old stuff. Its crazy that I cant find the chat.txt in my log folder! Even my sister couldn't find it, there is not a chat.txt in my logs. I don't know why... is there a setting in firestorm that keeps it from recording just Local chat? I don't remember changing settings but something must have happened.

Yes.
Preferences -> Privacy -> Logs & Transcripts -> Save nearby chat transcript.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AnnabelleDovelight said:

is there a setting in firestorm that keeps it from recording just Local chat?

Whirly pointed you to it with her response.  That may well be the reason you can't find the chat log. 

Frankly, I have used Firestorm since the day it was introduced and I have never seen a good reason to turn that option OFF.  Even if you are a real chatterbox, the size of your chat file is trivial compared to most files on your machine, so there's no point in fretting over how much space it's taking on your hard drive.  And you've already found the best reason to keep it turned ON: you never know when you'll need to find some vital piece of information that someone mentioned in chat last month.  Especially if you are in business, the ability to recover chat can be an absolute necessity.  My alt does most of my scripting, so her chat file is full of diagnostic chat messages from whatever project I am working on at the moment -- stuff that I may have to review in detail for weeks.  I'd be lost without that archive.

• Like 1

Your log might not be in the place you think it is.  If you have ever reinstalled the viewer, it probably re-set the log file location to the default.  If you forgot to change it back to wherever it is you normally keep the logs, a big chunk of your logs could be in that other location.  Doing a general search of your PC for "chat.txt" could unearth these files.

Or, assuming you always store the logs in the default location, if you did a complete clean reinstall of the viewer, all previous log files will have been deleted, and you won't have anything dated earlier than the last time you installed the viewer.

• Like 1

I found several chat.txts in the general search. Its just that none of them are the one I need... lol What on earth did I do? xD I fiddles with some settings, double checked what you all said and I appreciate your responses so much!

I think it ought to be fixed now, I changed the location where the chat logs are kept and hopefully that does something.

Thank you all for being so kind and patient with me!!

-Anna.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deco19906 said:

tell me fast plz before any change happen to my chat history its too important to me 

fast ? patience is a virtue... you'r asking fellow residents, not support of LL.

... do you actually save the logs? it won't store automaticly if your settings are not enabled to do so.

• Like 1

deco, don't worry.  Whether you save your chat and IM history is a different thing from having the chat window display a bit of the previous conversation.

For the settings that control whether, and where, you save IMs and chat, the Firestorm Wiki says:

Chat/IM Logs and Transcripts

The terminology has changed so please read here.

To save or not save your chat logs and transcripts (nearby, IM/Group), go to Preferences → Privacy -> Logs & Transcripts and select the options under Save:.

The location for the saved chat logs and transcripts depends on your operating system but can be found and changed in Network & Files -> Directories → Conversation logs and transcripts location. Press the Set button to change it to a different folder.

The control that determines if the previous conversation is shown in the chat window is in Preferences ---> Chat tab ---> Chat windows sub-tab, "Show the end of the last conversation".  Chat logging (see above) must be enabled for this to work.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:07 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

deco, don't worry.  Whether you save your chat and IM history is a different thing from having the chat window display a bit of the previous conversation.

ok thanks i just wanna inform you that i have found that folder  
this chat problem caused me allot of troubles with Friends because i didn't recognize some of them as there was no chat history 
it was so embarrassing to ask them again  for some information i must already know by default after we had a history in chat and conversations 
so conversations tend to be repetitive and boring to some friends which led me to lose some Second life friends 
i wish second life Pay more attention to this chat stuff it really matters 

Edited by deco19906
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, deco19906 said:

i wish second life Pay more attention to this chat stuff it really matters 

never depend on chatlogs for that, as soon you do a clean install everything is gone.
For important info you have the space for that in their profiles to add your own notes.

9 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

never depend on chatlogs for that, as soon you do a clean install everything is gone.
For important info you have the space for that in their profiles to add your own notes.

You can avoid a reinstall deleting your chat logs.  Just set the location where they are saved to something other than the default directory.  I have a section of one of my hard drives labeled "caches" where I keep caches and log files for all sorts of things.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.