Best way to get land/house?

MattNight84

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

I am a newbie to SL just learning everything.  I was just wondering what my best option would be to get a house for myself.  Is it better to upgrade to a premium membership and get land/house or should I rent land from someone else and build a house there.  I know you get a certain amount of Lindens per week for upgrading account so not sure if that makes it worth it.  Sorry if this type of thing has been asked a million times before.  Any thought appreciated :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MattNight84 said:

Hi all,

I am a newbie to SL just learning everything.  I was just wondering what my best option would be to get a house for myself.  Is it better to upgrade to a premium membership and get land/house or should I rent land from someone else and build a house there.

You can also rent a ready made furnished or unfurnished house from someone else and as a premium member you get the choice between livign in a Linden Home or buying a piece of mainland and build there yourself.

There's no definite answer to what is the best solution so we need to know a bit about what you expect from your virtual home.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

You can also rent a ready made furnished or unfurnished house from someone else and as a premium member you get the choice between livign in a Linden Home or buying a piece of mainland and build there yourself.

There's no definite answer to what is the best solution so we need to know a bit about what you expect from your virtual home.

Ok, thanks.  I wasn't sure if getting the premium membership was something that most people avoided or what.  Again, I am new so just learning about everything.  I just wanted a small home/apartment to call my own.  Nothing big and fancy.  Not yet anyway.  I will look into the options you mentioned though.  Thanks :) 

8 minutes ago, MattNight84 said:

I just wanted a small home/apartment to call my own.  Nothing big and fancy.  Not yet anyway.  I will look into the options you mentioned though.  Thanks :) 

In that case, the easiest way is to go Premium and get a Linden Home. It's also the most boring way of course but it's a good start. The Meadowbrook theme has the most practical houses but Tahoe is ok too. Elderglen is for those with special interest in fairy tale/fantasy style and the Shareta Osumai theme is for machosists and for people who can't get enough of poorly made fake Japanese architecture.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

In that case, the easiest way is to go Premium and get a Linden Home. It's also the most boring way of course but it's a good start. The Meadowbrook theme has the most practical houses but Tahoe is ok too. Elderglen is for those with special interest in fairy tale/fantasy style and the Shareta Osumai theme is for machosists and for people who can't get enough of poorly made fake Japanese architecture.

Thanks again!

IF you get a monthly premium membership it is actually costing you somewhere around $4 US a month which is around $1000 or so lindens.  You CAN rent some nice places for less than that if you don't need anything fancy. I suggest looking in the want ads at rentals and maybe finding a little spot to start out with.  Some places start at $25 a week (not great) and go up from there. Now and then there are even free places if you look hard or find one by accident.  I am actually living in a lovely Victorian home (very fancy) with 180 prims for free.  

So do some exploring and THEN decide what will work best for you. Look at the Linden homes too of course, but by now they are getting very outdated and really need some renovations :D.   

Have fun. House hunting has been one of my traditional favorite past times! 

Edited by Chic Aeon

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

IF you get a monthly premium membership it is actually costing you somewhere around $4 US a month which is around $1000 or so lindens.  You CAN rent some nice places for less than that if you don't need anything fancy. I suggest looking in the want ads at rentals and maybe finding a little spot to start out with.  Some places start at $25 a week (not great) and go up from there. Now and then there are even free places if you look hard or find one by accident.  I am actually living in a lovely Victorian home (very fancy) with 180 prims for free.  

So do some exploring and THEN decide what will work best for you. Look at the Linden homes too of course, but by now they are getting very outdated and really need some renovations :D.   

Have fun. House hunting has been one of my traditional favorite past times! 

Thanks so much for the reply.  I will look into that for sure.  I have spent the better part of tonight looking at land and houses for rent, haha.  I can see how it's a favorite past time, lol.

• 6 months later...
On 27/07/2017 at 1:12 AM, ChinRey said:

Is it possible to change themes? I originally chose the largest house but it's so... meh... i want to change it for a different house? 
Is that possible and how do i do it?

12 minutes ago, Xafira Cortes said:

Is it possible to change themes? I originally chose the largest house but it's so... meh... i want to change it for a different house? 
Is that possible and how do i do it?

Abandon your existing house and pick another. You will not be able to go BACK to the place you have now however if you don't find one you like better. I think you can try five times a day. And not all styles are available at all times.  

• Like 1

On 10.2.2018 at 11:08 PM, Annabell Wandsworth said:

I don't think a premium membership is the best way to go, if you're doing it for a home. Those are pretty small,

Small???

They vary a bit in size but the biggest ones are 512 m2 with two floors. Most people actually prefer smaller houses than that these days.

• Like 1

There are some skybox rental places that are affordable and they give you the option to Rez many different furnished homes, so you don’t have to start from scratch and you can change the whole thing with a few clicks if your mood changes 

On 2/11/2018 at 6:41 PM, ChinRey said:

Small???

They vary a bit in size but the biggest ones are 512 m2 with two floors. Most people actually prefer smaller houses than that these days.

That was just my opinion. Many people assume at first they have to get a premium account to have a home, but I still say it's not the most cost efficient or the best way.

If you want something simple there's a place called 60L rentals, they offer several different apartments that wou can change any time you want (they're called multiscenes) but you ahve little privacy and people can cam you inside your box if you're on the same parcel (as far as I experienced it). If you want total control I'd tell you to rent your own land and rez your home and furnishings which would be more expensive tan simply renting a premade place, but more personal and you can have total control (you don't need premium membership in a lot of places to own the land). So it's up to what you actually need. Currently I live in a community and I do love the experience so far.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.