Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PeterCanessa Oh

There are more questions than Answers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

It's Sunday and I'm procrastinating instead of getting on with all the things that I should be doing.

While doing LL's support-work for them in the Answers section I have been struck by the fact that nearly all questions are either very basic, or completely unfathomable (so probably a good reason for LL to farm them out to us!).  Then it struck me that a fabulous way to waste some time would be to categorise the questions to see if there were any other common themes.  Looking back over the past few pages, skipping the foreign-language ones and making-up caegories as I went I got through 144 questions before getting bored again:

  1. General how to use SL/forums/computers (25) - stuff like "can't rez, says parcel full", "what laptop should I buy"
  2. Billing/buying & selling L$ (9)
  3. Avatar won't rez/move/tp (9)
  4. Account issues (8) - varies from 'can I recover an old account' to 'I'm banned from SL'
  5. Can't run SL/log in (7)
  6. Goods & Services Issues (5) - includes marketplace & inter-resident
  7. "How do I use <specific object>" (4) - typically without any name or clue as to what it IS!
  8. Technical issues (4)
  9. Basic Mode (3) - specific questions about basic mode, mostly "Where is everything!"
  10.  Name change (3)
  11.  Banned from <place> (2) - newbies indignant and demanding an explanation, like we'd know, or care
  12.  Missing inventory (1)
  13. Working for LL (1)

When I came to go through them like that the most striking thing was how many posts were title-only (presumably because people are using incompatible IE9) and how many never responded to requests for more information, or at all.  I didn't log how many of those there were though, that'll have to wait until another lazy Sunday :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think there should be a direct link to Thinkerer's blogsite; he seems to have been working on centralising all the most common issues over on his blog by collating all the information that has been repeated over and over again on the forums. I believe we do have a Knowledge Base, but that just seems too darn confusing to navigate, like the rest of this software.

IMO anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. The part you say about people not ever coming back to their questions to see if it has been answered or to give more information on their problem happens too often, I'd say about 60% of the threads that are open are this. It can easily be fixed but the devs are too lazy, just like they are too lazy to fix the compatibilty problem with IE 9. All they have to do is make subscriptions to a thread and getting them on email the default. Some people don't know how to navigate to their profile page to look up the threads they have made so they just give up when they can't find their threads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

even those that do manage to put some body text can seem to miss out the thing that will give them the most appropriate answer like they say something doesn't work because of an update but fail to put the specific update they think has caused something not to work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL Peter, you really need a hobby man :D

The issue of the OP never coming back after the initial post has been raised several times, because even if they can`t work out how to post again it would be reassuring to know that they they at least got their answers, which is one of the main reasons for wanting default emails for questions that you post, though I gather from the last UG meeting that isn`t possible.

There was always a high proportion of one-post wonders on the old SLA, but that number is significantly higher now as well as the number of people coming back to mark their question as answered.

Hopefully the changes that Lexie n the team are working on will improve the situation :)

 

One question that was a regular on the old SLA has completely vanished on the new one....No one is getting Ghosted anymore. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Peewee Musytari wrote:

LOL Peter, you really need a hobby man
:D

The issue of the OP never coming back after the initial post has been raised several times, because even if they can`t work out how to post again it would be reassuring to know that they they at least got their answers, which is one of the main reasons for wanting default emails for questions that you post, though I gather from the last UG meeting that isn`t possible.

There was always a high proportion of one-post wonders on the old SLA, but that number is significantly higher now as well as the number of people coming back to mark their question as answered.

Hopefully the changes that Lexie n the team are working on will improve the situation
:)

 

One question that was a regular on the old SLA has completely vanished on the new one....No one is getting Ghosted anymore.
:o

And when something gets fixed rarely does anyone applaud LL - the ghosting issue was fixed with the rollouts that took place on 6th March.  There may have been one or two that occurred just after that date (I hear ya Bob ;-)) so well done to Oskar, Ambroff, Maestro, and others on the bug-squishing team for that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Peewee Musytari wrote:

One question that was a regular on the old SLA has completely vanished on the new one....No one is getting Ghosted anymore.
:o

That is because the new version of this question is now "I can't log in to sl, plz help!" (tried to make it with typos than that but I am unable to, just pretend that question is unreadable).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that a fair number of newbie OPs probably have no clue how to find their own threads again, so never see the fantastic answers that we post.  I suspect, though, that an even higher number of them do come back and look at the answers but never bother to say "Gee, thanks!" or even "I came back."  This happens all the time in world.  Our reference team at the Community Virtual Library answers questions for a lot of newbies in a week, and a surprising number of them simply take off without so much as a good-bye.  I don't know whether it's a short attention span phenomenon, or rudeness, or just ordinary ineptitude.  In any case, I comfort myself with the thought that we can usually answer questions, even if they fall on deaf or unresponsive ears.

Thank you, Peter, for spending your boring afternoon in the pursuit of statistics.  What better way to spend a Sunday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rolig Loon wrote:

........ What better way to spend a Sunday?

Now that's a whole other forum thread topic !!! :smileywink::smileytongue::smileyvery-happy::smileysurprised:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Rolig Loon wrote:

I agree that a fair number of newbie OPs probably have no clue how to find their own threads again, so never see the fantastic answers that we post.  I suspect, though, that an even higher number of them
do
come back and look at the answers but never bother to say "Gee, thanks!" or even "I came back."  This happens all the time in world.  Our reference team at the Community Virtual Library answers questions for a lot of newbies in a week, and a surprising number of them simply take off without so much as a good-bye.  I don't know whether it's a short attention span phenomenon, or rudeness, or just ordinary ineptitude.  In any case, I comfort myself with the thought that
we
can usually answer questions, even if they fall on deaf or unresponsive ears.

Thank you, Peter, for spending your boring afternoon in the pursuit of statistics.  What better way to spend a Sunday?

I absolutely agree, one reason which I discovered when mentoring is that a lot of noobs thought we were bots,  I never understood why they would assume that until I came across another virtual world where the helper avatars were actually bots lol :D

There was also a good % that never came back to say thanks on the old SLA, but the % now is so much higher that it must be the hard to use forums or people just got way more ill mannered.

 

PS  A big WTG!!!! to the Lindens that busted the Ghosts, that problem was getting way out of control...Good job :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Darren Scorpio wrote:

All they have to do is make subscriptions to a thread and getting them on email the default.

They would have to make this a site wide setting, as it was with Jive, which annoyed a hell of a lot of people, making subscriptions and emails default is a lazy solution, making it more clear that it's an option is the way to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Ciaran Laval wrote:

 

Darren Scorpio wrote:

All they have to do is make subscriptions to a thread and getting them on email the default.

They would have to make this a site wide setting, as it was with Jive, which annoyed a hell of a lot of people, making subscriptions and emails default is a lazy solution, making it more clear that it's an option is the way to go.

 

I agree. I get annoyed enough by the e-mails from threads that I subscribed to on purpose.  Getting flooded with unwanted default e-mails is not my idea of fun. :smileymad:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Rolig Loon wrote:

 

Ciaran Laval wrote:

 

Darren Scorpio wrote:

All they have to do is make subscriptions to a thread and getting them on email the default.

They would have to make this a site wide setting, as it was with Jive, which annoyed a hell of a lot of people, making subscriptions and emails default is a lazy solution, making it more clear that it's an option is the way to go.

 

I agree. I get annoyed enough by the e-mails from threads that I subscribed to on purpose.  Getting flooded with unwanted default e-mails is not my idea of fun. :smileymad:

 

 

The idea was to make it default for questions that people post...not for all the threads they post on & also only in the answers section which wouldn`t affect the forum posters at all because, as they have already proved by all the crappy features on answers, the 2 sections have completely different rules.

How many regular posters on the forums have ever even posted a question on Answers?...A handful at most, it wouldn`t be that much of a chore to unsubscribe it manually for the odd question now and then compared to the benefit for a huge number of noobs that can barely work out how to post a question let alone look around for other boxes to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Peewee Musytari wrote:

The idea was to make it default for questions that people post...not for all the threads they post on & also only in the answers section which wouldn`t affect the forum posters at all because, as they have already proved by all the crappy features on answers, the 2 sections have completely different rules.

 

To tweak it just a teeny bit more ... the default of "Send Email" would only apply to the person posting the original question and only for answers in direct reply to that question. Comments, etc. would not trigger emails. As soon as you mark one or more Answers as "Correct", the emails are turned off.

The Email sent out should contain language to the effect of "You are receiving this email because you posted a Question on Second Life Community Answers. You may stop these emails by marking one or more Answers as Correct."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Peewee Musytari wrote:

 

Rolig Loon wrote:

 

Ciaran Laval wrote:

 

Darren Scorpio wrote:

All they have to do is make subscriptions to a thread and getting them on email the default.

They would have to make this a site wide setting, as it was with Jive, which annoyed a hell of a lot of people, making subscriptions and emails default is a lazy solution, making it more clear that it's an option is the way to go.

 

I agree. I get annoyed enough by the e-mails from threads that I subscribed to on purpose.  Getting flooded with unwanted default e-mails is not my idea of fun. :smileymad:

 

 

The idea was to make it default for questions that people post...not for all the threads they post on & also only in the answers section which wouldn`t affect the forum posters at all because, as they have already proved by all the crappy features on answers, the 2 sections have completely different rules.

How many regular posters on the forums have ever even posted a question on Answers?...A handful at most, it wouldn`t be that much of a chore to unsubscribe it manually for the odd question now and then compared to the benefit for a huge number of noobs that can barely work out how to post a question let alone look around for other boxes to check.

Noobs don't like getting emails by default anymore than anyone else, it was those who weren't familiar with Jive and didn't post often who ended up complaining about the emails, but at the last usergroup meeting they stated they can't do this on a per forum basis, it's a site wide setting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Ciaran Laval wrote:

Noobs don't like getting emails by default anymore than anyone else, it was those who weren't familiar with Jive and didn't post often who ended up complaining about the emails, but at the last usergroup meeting they stated they can't do this on a per forum basis, it's a site wide setting. 

 

What they meant was they can't do it because it's not part of the standard Lithium package. If they'd just written the forum software from scratch then they could add tweaks like ....

Ohhhh .. crap. NVM!! Just realized where THAT thought was going. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Ciaran Laval wrote:

 

Darren Scorpio wrote:

All they have to do is make subscriptions to a thread and getting them on email the default.

They would have to make this a site wide setting, as it was with Jive, which annoyed a hell of a lot of people, making subscriptions and emails default is a lazy solution, making it more clear that it's an option is the way to go.

 

It is much easier to get people to opt-out than it is to opt-in. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Darren Scorpio wrote:

It is much easier to get people to opt-out than it is to opt-in. 

 

 

It also draws a lot of complaints, dilutes the marketing of a company, is generally frowned upon and leads to people opting out of all Second Life emails because they feel they're being spammed, opt-in by default is a tacky setting.

The subscription for receiving email replies should be explained more clearly and put in front of people, especially in the answers section and then they can choose that option easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Ciaran Laval wrote:

 

Darren Scorpio wrote:

It is much easier to get people to opt-out than it is to opt-in. 

 

 

It also draws a lot of complaints, dilutes the marketing of a company, is generally frowned upon and leads to people opting out of all Second Life emails because they feel they're being spammed, opt-in by default is a tacky setting.

The subscription for receiving email replies should be explained more clearly and put in front of people, especially in the answers section and then they can choose that option easily.

It is not spam. If they are posting on a public forum asking a question, then it is implied that they wish to receive an answer to their question. If they don't post, then they get no email. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Darren Scorpio wrote:

 

Ciaran Laval wrote:

 

Darren Scorpio wrote:

It is much easier to get people to opt-out than it is to opt-in. 

 

 

It also draws a lot of complaints, dilutes the marketing of a company, is generally frowned upon and leads to people opting out of all Second Life emails because they feel they're being spammed, opt-in by default is a tacky setting.

The subscription for receiving email replies should be explained more clearly and put in front of people, especially in the answers section and then they can choose that option easily.

It is not spam. If they are posting on a public forum asking a question, then it is implied that they wish to receive an answer to their question. If they don't post, then they get no email. 

 

There is no setting for this to be set just for the answers forum, it would be all forums and probably all blog posts, this is exactly the situation that drew complaints about the Jive software.

The problem with answers is this:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/qa#qa

That should be far more prominent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

simple solution.... use a hidden field on the post question form, set it to the subscription value.

autoset the subscribe checkbox off when an answer is marked correct.... done.

 

and then rework the categories based on pete's statistical analysis lol

ETA:
I am so not ever clearing your schedule for you again pete eyeroll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...