I have to right click a link set to get stair physics to work properly

Horatio Clawtooth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

It was brought to my attention that the physics were not working properly on some of my builds. I had experienced this issue a few months ago on a build and thought it was isolated, now I am not so sure.

If I rez a fresh copy of a build and try to walk up the front steps, the path is blocked, but if I simply right click the link set then left click the ground to get rid of the menu I can walk on the steps as normal. I don't have to click edit on the right click menu I just have to right click.

If someone wants to try this you can grab a copy of one of my builds to try for your self. The easiest one I can name is the "Stoneshield Castle vampire edition DEMO REZ ME" it is available on the marketplace for free. The main steps at the front appear blocked until I right click them. This is also happening in some of my other builds, maybe more of them than I know of.

If anyone has a solution for this, or if there is a linden that sees this that can assist me, please let me know.

Thanks

Horatio Clawtooth

• Like 1

Is it prim builds or just the partial mesh ones?

Do the affected builds have sculpts in them?

Do you use any linkset physics mode = "convex hull" or "none" style tricks in the builds?

Have you tried the affected builds on different server channels to see if the issue is tied to a particular server build?

Whirly Fizzle  Thanks for the reply. The link you gave me BUG-7504 - Physics Setting for mesh object reverting on rez (Public)  is very much like what is happening to my builds except it is not the doorways, the problem is with steps and stairs in the build and they dont have the issue of being smaller than .5 like a doorway.

Before your reply came in I was doing some testing based on the questions that Klytyna asked in her post. I tried changing the physics type of the entire link set to prim and putting it back in the rez box and that did not correct the problem but I did discover as in the link you gave me above that if I rez the item from inventory while in edit/build mode or dragged it from the rez box to the ground in edit/build then everything in the build worked as it should but if i just dragged it to the ground without being in edit mode the stairs physics were not working. Its very strange that if i right click the build I dont even have to click edit from the pie menu to cause everything to work properly, just by right clicking the link set and then the ground to get rid of the menu is enough to correct the problem. one other thing I should add is that I am 100% sure that these builds worked before I released them so something must have changed that is causing this problem.

Edited by Horatio Clawtooth
left out some details

I had the same problem with stairs on one house. Whirly (of course) told me about clicking, and that worked. However, I did reuupload some mesh prims and that was a permanent fix. There was nothing wrong with the prims that I could see, they were not too thin, they did not turn convex hull. They just acted like they did.

Edited by Pamela Galli

Thanks for the reply Pamela. I created all the mesh that I use in the builds and I am looking through some of the other builds right now. I tend to build groups of castles or cottages when I come out with new mesh and other sister cottages built using the same mesh objects work fine. The only difference I can tell between the builds is the way the walls are arranged. This is the craziest thing I have seen in all my years in SL

While we are at this nasty glitch, I'd like to add a related issue which is still present as well (since day one of mesh).

If you have a mesh with a triangle based (not analyzed) physics mesh, with lets say a doorway (thicker than 0.5 indeed), and you have a door linked to it that uses TARGET_OMEGA to make it smooth spinning, the same behavior as described here will occour. The doorway will be blocked, until you rightclick the build.

So if you plan to link anything that uses llTargetOmega() functions to your house, it's best to decompose (Analyze) the physics during upload.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.