running multiple viewers, what happened?

Jonna Korhonen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello.  I used to be able to run two instances of the 2.x viewer with little problem. Now I cannot. My CPU usage immediately climbs to 100%.

The only thing I’ve done recently is install the beta viewer and the development viewer.

I recently reported the beta and development viewers were CPU killers but something else has happened and the regular release version does the same thing now. Nothing else has changed with my computer. Any ideas?

Second Life 2.6.2 (225998) Apr  7 2011 21:55:52 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 257,624.0, 195,602.0, 77.7 in Cuervo located at sim20107.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.26.120:13006)
Second Life Server 11.04.05.225793
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         750  @ 2.67GHz (2660.03 MHz)
Memory: 4088 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.6658
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8j zlib/1.2.3 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1400
Packets Lost: 1/16,593 (0.0%)

no SL client has ever been optomized for multicore processors.   I originally thought it was just beta's but upon further investigation I saw that the one process of SL and SL32 were running ALL of the threads in a single process.. The SL process alone was running over 900 threads.  

Linden Labs needs to make a better effort to optimize their client for multicore processors.. its 2011 not 2003... Most people at least have a dual core.. And 25% of us are running quad cores.  I7 users are running 4 real and 4 logical cores.. and people running with AMD like me are running 6.  Get with the program SL.

Oh deary, ty for that info. I always had thought that viewer series 2.x actually had been carrying the former experimental option of multiple threads. Thus NOT.This explains that even on my dual core notebook the cpu indicatror shows 100% all the time when landing at a new place.

However when i run SL and check performances in windows task management i do see 2 cpu's actually being used. probably i seem to be lucky.

However cpu load even on my notebook flies up to 100% when arriving at a new place.

I have resolved it in this way (it should work in Windows Vista and 7). It may work for you too.

Make a new blanc short cut (i call it a clear button) on your desktop with the following proporties:

Taget: %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Begin in: %windir%

Start SL, do not login but push that button. Quit SL, restart it and then login.

I don't how it actually works since someone just told me to do this. He told me that Windows tasks stacks up cpu resources while not releasing them all after closing that task (memory leak).

It actually does lower cpu load a bit after SL had been running before but without closing down the pc.

However when arriving at a new place the cpu may load 100% even with a freshly started computer.

But all little things may help :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.