49 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Kierkegaarde said that the only thing we are free to choose is to believe or not believe.

I doubt we're free to make even that one choice.

49 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

That said, free will is a paradox. The New Testament says God chooses those who will choose Him. 

The paradox you cited is in the New Testament, not the idea of free will. And that's not the only paradox to be found in religion. Way back in catechism class, the priest told me that man (women hadn't yet entered his mind, though they did when he left the church to marry) was made in God's image. I asked him if our curiosity was modeled after God's.

"Why yes, that's one of our, and God's most admirable qualities."

"Really? That doesn't make sense to me."

"Why?"

"Well, you also told me that God is all knowing. What is there for him to be curious about?"

I've always been a problem child, Pamela.

• Like 2

No, I have no desire to be part of your dog and pony group "Life Forward", with a whole two members. I consider this a troll and propose Mr Dex be booted or be placed on my ignore list.

The Life Forward group is open to anyone that wants to live petter and project a spirit of optimism and joy inthier life.

Life Forward is not a religion it is a lifestyle.

This anchor number series is already getting old.

@JoeDex - You must have missed one of my previous comments so I'll restate it:

Religion (along with politics) is a subject that should not be discussed in any general forum - i.e. one not specifically intended for religious discussions.

Whether you want to admit it or not, your Life Forward is a religious journey / lifestyle, therefore discussion of such is really not suited for these general forums.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I was also named after a Beatles song in rl  :D 

22 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

Coincidentally a Beatles song was playing the day I was born too...hence my rl name.

1) Michelle ($$) ?

2) Penny?

3) Eleanore.?

4) Sergeant?

I'm late to this discussion, but I had to ask.

Edited by Jerilynn Lemon
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeDex said:

The concept of God being everywhere takes on more importance in Anchor 6, but for now, know that you are loved by a great power. 

This is the only power I pay attention to these days. They keep my television, puter (with Second Life), refrigerator and A/C running. It has been warm here. I pay my monthly bill and they keep me happy. They LOVE me!!!

!!aps-logo.jpg

32 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

1) Michelle ($$) ?

2) Penny?

3) Eleanore.?

4) Sergeant?

5. Pam :-)

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I doubt we're free to make even that one choice.

The paradox you cited is in the New Testament, not the idea of free will. And that's not the only paradox to be found in religion. Way back in catechism class, the priest told me that man (women hadn't yet entered his mind, though they did when he left the church to marry) was made in God's image. I asked him if our curiosity was modeled after God's.

"Why yes, that's one of our, and God's most admirable qualities."

"Really? That doesn't make sense to me."

"Why?"

"Well, you also told me that God is all knowing. What is there for him to be curious about?"

I've always been a problem child, Pamela.

That's another good paradox :-) 

Really the existence of anything at all is a paradox.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

1) Michelle ($$) ?

2) Penny?

3) Eleanore.?

4) Sergeant?

I'm late to this discussion, but I had to ask.

You forgot Lucy, Lizzie, Carol, Pam, Sadie, Rita, Maggie(Mae), Julia, Martha, and a few more I can't remember offhand (I think there's something like 19 total)  lol

But somewhere in the mix, it's there :D 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

You forgot Lucy, Lizzie, Carol, Pam, Sadie, Rita, Maggie(Mae), Julia, Martha, and a few more I can't remember offhand (I think there's something like 19 total)  lol

I stand corrected!

There is Bungalow Bill. I crossed that one off by process of elimination.

• Like 2

Just now, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I stand corrected!

There is Bungalow Bill. I crossed that one off by process of elimination.

Lol, good process, being female and all my name is not Bill, I assure you :D

My mom was, and remains, a huge Beatles fan. But the song I'm named after came out over a decade before I was born. She used to sing it to me when I was little. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Lol, good process, being female and all my name is not Bill, I assure you :D

My mom was, and remains, a huge Beatles fan. But the song I'm named after came out over a decade before I was born. She used to sing it to me when I was little. 

Hmm, there is Rocky and Prudence too.

This can send this thread so far off topic, the Mods that be may shut it down, as more interesting this discussion is as opposed to the original about anchors.

Onion!, as in "she's my little onion"? 

Okay, I'm done. It'll just have to be a later topic down the road. Now back to Anchors, already in progress.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That's #4 - we're almost to that #6 he mentioned

I'm reading ahead of everyone, my bad.

Just now, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I'm reading ahead of everyone, my bad.

It is probably best if we all read ahead quickly and get it over with

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Anna

5 hours ago, JoeDex said:

Anchor 2 

There is a God. He is everywhere

And in contradiction some sects think, you should not put your foot between the door and keep going on about it.

In the NT clearly is said to go away when people are not interested... do so....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

I honestly hope you're not going to start a new thread for each of these 'anchors'.

Of course he is, that's an integral part of the modern "Own Brand Funless-Mental Evade-Genital Protesting-Ant New Age Lifestyle Preacher Cult" movement. The more irritating you make your socio/religious claptrap to people with IQ's larger than their shoe sizes, the more angry responses you get the more Persection-Points you earn.

And what do points make? PRIZES!

If you continue with a daily post for each new 'anchor' then this General Discussion forum is going to start feeling like answering the door every single day to someone doorstepping with a Bible in their hand

Exactly his intention, see my comment above.

Great. Fantastic. Good luck to your group, because it would only comprise people who were interested in your 'anchors' theory. I wish them - and you - well with it.

However, you then stated the following:

Of course his group is closed, the point isnt to get more members for the group, it's to gather TRUE BELIEVERS, if anyone could join, unbelieving spawn of the Anti-Sky-Daddy might infiltrate the group and destroy it from within. the TB's need to be positively vetted.

I don't know how many of these anchors there are (at least 6, clearly),

Generally with cults like this, there will be 10, this is seen as some Magic Number, there are almost always 10, some preachy self rightious idiot proclaims the existence of a "Universal Morality" bet your ass there will be 10 rules, it's always the same with splinter cults based off the worlds second most popular group of Sky-Daddy cults, especially with those that start

"I my self am a Brand X Sky-Daddyist but this NEW way isn't a Brand X Sky-Daddy cult no Sir, not at all, now here are the 10 Rules that I certainly didn't rip off from the Magic Book of Sky-Daddy X"

I spent many years as an Atheist Activist, when I was younger, hosted in Atheist Chatrooms, and Web Forums, etc., and I've seen this pattern so many times, and it IS a pattern, as predictable as a train wreck.

The whole purpose ultimately is for US to 'Add Value' to the OP, by earning him Persecution-Points which will pay his way to the nice part of his Sky-Daddy's Afterlife, without him having to actually risk death at the hands of real live heathens.

In one Atheist Chatroom, after one of the two owners had a brainfart and declared "we don't kick and ban frothing religious insult screamers any more" the actual number of screaming "you are all gunna burn" loonies went DOWN because they weren't getting their Persecution Points. Of course, the chatroom being filled with un banned screamers also drove off most of the Atheists too, and 3 months later with a dead chatroom Mr. Brainfart relented and allowed his co-owner to track down and re-recruit their banhammer using ex hosts.

1 Hour after the return of the old school hosts, the 'traffic' for the chatroom had increased about 2000%, mainly because...

Host Atheist-Terror-Tropper has kicked +++Retarded4Cheesus+++ from the chat - Reason "You have been ejected from the Gene pool for urinating in the shallow end" - Access ban set for 666 hours.

• Like 1

Anchor #2 needs a better name....how about Bob..Bob's a good name. Or wait, no...Phred, yeah..Phred.

On a more serious note..my day today began with someone ringing my doorbell over and over again, no less than 5 times, at 7am, me having gone to bed a bit after 6am (and ftr, I sleep very near the area where the doorbell box resides). It was someone trying to invite me to their kingdom. We get them a lot, and while I don't subscribe to their belief system(s), I am, nearly, always polite. This morning, however, my patience was so wore down, that I snapped. Her car was parked at the end of my driveway, in the road, blocking it, running. This was our conversation..

Woman-Oh, you were sleeping? (with a surprised look on her face)

Me-Yes, as you can see, I was very much trying to sleep

Woman-Ok, well let me share my message with you anyway(I kid you not..sigh, not even a sorry)

Me-I would rather not, I need to get some sleep, you have a good day.(I started to close my door)

Woman-Wait, no, I have an important message for you.(while stopping my door from closing with her foot, which she kept there the entire conversation-waking me was bad enough, touching my door, was a whole 'nother level of stupid)

Me-I'm sorry, but I don't want your message, now please leave, take your foot off of there. 

Woman-I can't leave, I need to show you this..(shoves a paper in my face..remember I am legally blind on a good day, when half asleep..forget it)

Me-I don't want it. Now please, have a nice day, and get off my step. (I chucked her paper on the ground)

Woman-Just take it(shoving the paper back at me) and come join us in fellowship. We come to you in love, we want you to join us, we can help you find your worth, we can SAVE you. We're having a get together this weekend..see(points to her now crumpled paper)

Me-(patience gone) I have my beliefs, I like them just fine thanks, I don't need saving.

Woman-Well you are WRONG. We can show you the right way

Me-I said get the ..bleeeeeep (I saved you the bleepy stars forums, you're welcome) away from my house. I slammed the door shut at this moment after getting her foot nudged back out of the way..and ftr, I never got back to bed after it, not because I felt guilty, but because I am an insomniac and this is how my insomnia works after I've been woken up too early..)ie, less than 30 minutes after actually getting to sleep, on the only day for the net 2-3 that I would have been likely to get any sleep at all). I was peeved right off about it for a while afterwards. Not her sharing her message, it is what it is, but the methodology she chose...it was ridiculous to say the least. 

Normally, the conversation would not have dragged out like that, though in reality it was a very short amount of time, it felt like hours. Normally, they are kind enough to know when not to continue. Normally they don't ring my extremely loud doorbell repeatedly until I answer, at 7am. Normally, I would not have even spoken much at all to her, but, again, half awake, half asleep, and completely drained...THIS..is why I don't like others' religion pushed upon me, or to be told what is right versus my, apparently, wrong beliefs. This is a huge part of why I take issue with many organized religions...because there is no real direction(imo), just a my way or the highway approach, and I don't like it. I, strongly, believe there is a time and a place for such discussions. I'm not convinced that SL forums, or my front door for that matter, would fall under that umbrella. I'm not necessarily keen on telling others they are wrong. If what they believe works for them, who am I to say it's outright wrong? But I have no qualms stating what my own beliefs are, and why others' are not applicable to me, or anyone else for that matter. I happen to be in the camp of "your beliefs work for you, and only you, they don't apply to everyone, and that's perfectly ok.

So..my anchor #2....is going to remain Phred, because that makes waaaaaay more sense to me than anything else at this point regarding religion, lol. 

• Like 3

To the OP, if you're an atheist trolling other atheists, that's got to be at least as easy as trolling fundamentalists these days. It's misplaced to take much pride in doing so.

If you're not an atheist and you really are sincere, starting out these sorts of discussions with words like "God" is, as you acknowledged before, combining hot oil with cold water. I tried twice in the other thread to bring it back to the values you were talking about but it was too late. The majority seemed to just want to carry on with laying out their own theological positions and using others' opinions as a jumping off point. I don't know how they'd react to a theologically-neutral thread on living ethically and with regards to others. Might it stand a chance?