Life Forward Anchor 1

JoeDex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Aislin Ceawlin Is your friends rant honesty, or just some form of passive aggressive opinion. Once again, it is difficult to convey my sincerity in asking this question, but know I am asking it in the spirit of clarification, no snark intended. What I read into your post is that your friend feigns to be honest in long rants. Honesty and being truthful are not necessarily the same thing. The Anchor is to always tell the truth. How can honesty be different from the truth? In the case where there is an underlying purpose for the honesty. The rant can be used under the claim of "I'm being honest" to hide the true objective of the communication. In that case they claim to be honest but they are not being truthful. 

Think of the Venn diagram with one circle being the truth and another being honesty. Once would hope that they full overlap but that may not always occur. The nexus where truth and honesty meet is the objective of the Anchor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeDex said:

@Aislin Ceawlin Is your friends rant honesty, or just some form of passive aggressive opinion. Once again, it is difficult to convey my sincerity in asking this question, but know I am asking it in the spirit of clarification, no snark intended. What I read into your post is that your friend feigns to be honest in long rants. Honesty and being truthful are not necessarily the same thing. The Anchor is to always tell the truth. How can honesty be different from the truth? In the case where there is an underlying purpose for the honesty. The rant can be used under the claim of "I'm being honest" to hide the true objective of the communication. In that case they claim to be honest but they are not being truthful. 

Think of the Venn diagram with one circle being the truth and another being honesty. Once would hope that they full overlap but that may not always occur. The nexus where truth and honesty meet is the objective of the Anchor.

You make a very valid point. Sometimes it seems as though her "brutal honesty" is used in anger, when she wants to strike out. It almost always comes with the caveat of "Look, I'm just being honest"

2 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

You are so right. I know someone who prides themself on being honest about everything, but it's not cool at all. It's rude, it's hurtful, and it can cause hard feelings when you get caught in the middle of one of her "honest rants". Honesty is NOT always the best policy.

Honesty being the best policy is usually something said from a person when asked.. Who chopped down my freakin cherry tree? Father I cannot tell A lie,Twas I.

Someone getting all honest on someone in a rant just B'cause,well they have another name for that..

My husband calls me it when I get on a roll with him..

Woman,why are you being so damn B*tchy today? hehehehe

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

IMO ideals don't have to be absolutes. Would a word like 'principles' work better?

I know Joe put his propositions forward in terms approaching some sort of absolute but that doesn't mean the rest of us have to limit the conversation to that kind of thinking unless we want to. I'm reasonably certain I don't.

Principles are fine. I think the only one I was ever taught was "Do unto others...". And it's looking like that's a reflection of our mirror neurons.

Steven Pinker has things to say about morality...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/magazine/13Psychology-t.html

While the ancients (meaning anyone who lived before neuroscience) certainly had a lot to say about morality, I have some (potentially ill-reasoned) skepticism about the finer points of their arguments. Nature is what she is and the best thing we can do is try to understand her. Speaking about her out of ignorance got us pretty far, but if we want to have a long way to go, we should probably start learning about her.

;-).

• Like 3

Surrender

I have abandoned theories and
notions.
They rattle through my mind
like hail on roofs made of tin.
The controversies
and the discussions,
the explanations
and the explications––
they have nothing to do
with who I am.

What I want is this kiss
the rose is offering just now,
this opening into
more than I can tell.
This silent knowing,
this feeling rising and falling
like waves against the shores
of my unnamed self,
my only reality
that I cannot capture
in any net of words
nor contain in any
vessel.

Dorothy Walters

• Like 1

...I stand at the seashore, alone, and start to think. 

There are the rushing waves, mountains of molecules 
Each stupidly minding its own business 
Trillions apart, yet forming white surf in unison 

Ages on ages, before any eyes could see 
Year after year, thunderously pounding the shore as now 
For whom, for what? 
On a dead planet, with no life to entertain 

Never at rest, tortured by energy 
Wasted prodigiously by the sun, poured into space 
A mite makes the sea roar 

Deep in the sea, all molecules repeat the patterns 
Of one another till complex new ones are formed 
They make others like themselves 
And a new dance starts 

Growing in size and complexity 
Living things, masses of atoms, DNA, protein 
Dancing a pattern ever more intricate 

Out of the cradle onto the dry land 
Here it is standing 
Atoms with consciousness, matter with curiosity 
Stands at the sea, wonders at wondering 

I, a universe of atoms 
An atom in the universe 

- Richard P. Feynman

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

You make a very valid point. Sometimes it seems as though her "brutal honesty" is used in anger, when she wants to strike out. It almost always comes with the caveat of "Look, I'm just being honest"

My RL emergency backup mom (I must now qualify that, as I have a lovely SL emergency backup mom) is one of those rude brutally honest people. She trash talks everyone, blowing kernels of truth out of proportion to make herself feel better. She has the benefit of having been in my life since I was born, there's no other reason for me to put up with all the crap. It's a sad yet interesting thing to observe and my attempts to help her over the years have been repaid in spades by the Law of Unintended Consequences.

For years, because the was too cheap (which is not the same as too poor) to hire labor to maintain her home, I would either help out or grease the palms of my own maintenance helpers to give her prices that were beyond reasonable. Now that she's moved out, the new neighbors lament their inability to get the very same firms to quote them comparable prices (even adjusted for inflation) for repairs. And those firms have told me they'll never again allow me to subsidize work for others because of the conflict this has caused them.

The road to hell...

;-).

• Like 2

Sleeping in the Forest

by

Mary Oliver

I thought the earth remembered me,

She took me back so tenderly

Arranging her skirts

Her pockets full of lichens and seeds.

I slept as never before

A stone on the riverbed,

Nothing between me and the white fire of the stars,

But my thoughts.

And they floated light as moths

Among the branches of the perfect trees.

All night I heard the small kingdoms

Breathing around me.

The insects and the birds

Who do their work in darkness.

All night I rose and fell,

As if water, grappling with luminous doom.

By morning I had vanished at least a dozen times

Into something better.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

Lighting a candle may be better but cursing the dark is always easier, more popular on the internet and more effective if you want to win an election.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Lighting a candle may be better but cursing the dark is always easier.

Hey, I love the dark. I'd curse the candle.

(I'm an amateur astronomer. At public star parties, it's not uncommon to hear us cursing quietly when a car pulls into the parking lot with headlights ablaze.)

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 2:45 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

(I'm an amateur astronomer. At public star parties, it's not uncommon to hear us cursing quietly when a car pulls into the parking lot with headlights ablaze.)

@Madelaine McMasters You should hop across the lake and check out our dark sky park up in Mackinaw! I'm dying to go, myself! http://www.midarkskypark.org/about/

Edited by Aislin Ceawlin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.