Osiris Ronas

Staticy Sound

Question

I have experienced this with Singularity and now with Firestorm, on Windows 10.
When I play any sounds, music or sound effects, it always sounds staticy. It must be the CPU usage these client use up because I can play music and movies via Netflix or my VLC player without a problem.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

8 answers to this question

It sounds like a known problem with Windows 10.

Try this:

1. Right click the Speakers icon on your system tray and select Playback Devices.
  2. Right click the Speakers (or your chosen audio output) and select Properties.
  3. Switch to the Advanced tab.
  4. Under Default Format drop down menu, select: 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD quality).
  5. Click Apply and OK.
  6. Relog if needed.

Does that fix it?

• Like 2

I made some tweaks to the sounds in Windows itself. I turned off sound enhancements. That seemed to have made a difference. Unless the client is using a lot of CPU usage, sounds from SL seem okay for the moment. No static. Will keep seeing how things go for another few days. So far, 48h and no static type noise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Osiris Ronas said:

Lag also seems to be a factor. The more people on screen, the worst it gets.

That makes sense, from what you have told us about your computer in other threads.  The poor machine is struggling to do as much as it can already. :(

Took me awhile but I solved the issue. Was driver related.

www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2593100/crackling-popping-sound-laptop-speakers-headphones.html

Never would have thought this trick. Now even with CPU hitting 100% due to the client running, SL sound is clean and crisp.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Osiris Ronas said:

Now even with CPU hitting 100% due to the client running, SL sound is clean and crisp.

You might want to upgrade that machine at some point.  My CPU doesn't even hit 100% when starting any of the viewers, let alone just running them - and I always have tons of other stuff running on my computer at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You might want to upgrade that machine at some point.  My CPU doesn't even hit 100% when starting any of the viewers, let alone just running them - and I always have tons of other stuff running on my computer at the same time.

Indeed, when money is available to be used without affecting rent and food for the next twelve months. Priorities, love, and I make things last as long as possible since some things are more important for survival than others. My systems do what they need to, but these days gaming, not so much. But, they do what is most important.

One day, when I can afford it without affecting any priorities.

• Like 1