How do I place texture to not appear diagonally on mesh garment?

Darla Fanbridge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Darla Fanbridge said:

I checked out some diagrams online this morning, and discovered that some gored skirts require only 6 seams, so it's only a matter of starting with a mesh circle, and using just six vertices.  It may seem like it would come out as a hexagon, but I would mark each of the six seams along the skirt, and then using each face along the skirt, subdivide each face, one at a time.

Am I on the right track with this?

Well a six gore skirt (did I tell you that I used to SEW and taught SEWING CLASSES for a living long ago - well the typist did) would be easier, but STILL even if you 'match stripes' (not all that easy to do in real life) you would not get that stripe effect to happen in real life. It WOULD be easier in virtual though LOL.   The real point of all my photos is to show that with linear fabrics (stripes and plaids) there are always issues.  Aquila's method would be the best but it isn't what you are trying to make  -- as far as I can tell. 

But I believe (I haven't done painting on mesh) that you could "fake the look" much easier with a six gore skirt than you could with a circle skirt.  Some experiments will tell you pretty quickly I suspect. 

So yes, six trapezoid like shapes for the UV map would make up the skirt. Since I don't make clothes though I am definitely not the best one to give more advice. 

Good luck!

and yes @arton Rotaru circle skirts were made with no seams at all, just a hem and where they attached to the waistband.  Maybe with all this conversation they will come back in style :D.

• Like 1

Well, I believe most mesh skirts in Second Life are circle skirts, but it sounds like, whether it be gored skirts or circle skirts, the stripe effect I wanted is not possible in real life, and whatever way my skirt in Second Life is, I want it to be like in real life, but since stripes appearing vertically on a skirt is not possible in real life, unless it can be done with a gored skirt, I may have to use a different design such as floral print or polka dots, or even solid colors.

Also, is there a tutorial on how to make a gored skirt in Blender?  And unlike yesterday's post of mine, I'm willing to go with YouTube tutorials, but as a last resort, if no non-video tutorials exist on the Internet.

Edited by Darla Fanbridge

It's been while since I made a skirt in either SL or RL, but if I were starting from scratch in Blender, I would make gored panels that look something like this:

Gored panel.jpg

The hem edge is deliberately scalloped to make it more pleasing, and I've pushed every other pair of vertices on the hem down a little to make the panel look more gentle.

Edited by Rolig Loon

Like anything else you make in SL, you just let your creative mind loose and see where it goes.  Half the time, things that I make are discovered by accident while I thought I was making something else.  I'm not much of a mesh modeler, but I made that trial panel in about 15 minutes.  I know it's not quite right, because I haven't taken pains to make the panel curve properly perpendicular to the panel, but I could probably figure out how to do it with some trial and error.  I doubt that I'd be able to find a tutorial that would teach me as much as my own experiments.  9_9

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos, as usual

Regarding the video I posted earlier this evening, I do have one question.  When in Face select mode in the UV Editor, how do I separate half of the unwrapped object in the UV Map?  The video seems very interesting and suits my needs.

After learning about circle skirts and gored skirts, I personally think creating a skirt from a UV sphere best suits my desire.  Plus, it's very efficient, it seems.

11 hours ago, Darla Fanbridge said:

Regarding the video I posted earlier this evening, I do have one question.  When in Face select mode in the UV Editor, how do I separate half of the unwrapped object in the UV Map? 

In the UV editor, to separate the selected half of the UV island from the non-selected half you need to hit the Y key.

Untitled.gif.7cf6287cdee1691c9c052a555df87163.gif

Darla,    “Baby steps, Baby steps” .

You really need to start at the beginning. Learn basic modelling  before you tackle more complicated stuff.

If you try to follow that little  “skirt in 3 minutes tutorial“ without knowing the basics you are going to hit barrier after barrier after barrier.

You are going to have to learn some about Blenders cloth modifier !

Then about rigging and weight painting.

It’s a lot more difficult to rig correctly a long skirt than a short one etc.

Topology / edge flow is important, even for a simple T-shirt.

It takes time and determination and you have to start at the beginning. It can be painful but that’s just the way it is.

:/

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Darla Fanbridge said:

Rolig, how many vertices does the mesh skirt in your image have?

It looks like there are seams marked on the front and back.  Are they?

176.  I built it by making one panel -- the one in my earlier post -- and bending it around its center line to make the hem form a quarter of a circle.  Then it was just a matter of duplicating that panel three times to make the full skirt and gluing the parts together. I added an edge loop along the hem to soften it and I straightened out the top end to make a plausible waist.  As I said, I go at something like this by playing.  I know roughly where I am going and I am comfortable enough with Blender basics -- the stuff that Aquila has been showing you -- that I can try lots of things manually until I get something that looks good to me.  I have friends who are superb modelers and who can can better results in a fraction of the time, but I learn by experimenting and making tons of brilliant errors along the way.  I'm a scripter, not a modeler, so this is educational recreation -- puzzle solving.

6 hours ago, Aquila Kytori said:

You really need to start at the beginning. Learn basic modelling  before you tackle more complicated stuff.

Obviously I agree and love your little animated demo graphics :D.

I was thinking this morning, should one WANT to make a skirt with the stripes all vertical (overlooking ALL the other things that need to happen of course), the easiest method would be to DRAW the stripes on (either gores or a full circle skirt) in your graphics program post process. 

IF one was using Cycles and wanted the subtle shading (yea subtle shading) then you could make your own graphic over the UV map for the skirt and import that as your image texture -- then rebake. 

Should I EVER want to make clothes (I do think about it but I seem to have a block on the rigging thing :D) that would be MY method.

and to @Darla Fanbridge if you want to start at the beginning :D my going slow with lots of info that you may have missed along the way are here. I suggest starting at the beginning (they are listed like blog posts so the hardest and newest is at the top) with icons that have 123 -- not 456 and omg what happens when we get to 789?  No clue.

https://www.slartist.com/browse-the-tutorial-chic-videos-1-date.html

Also on Youtube in a playlist.

Edited by Chic Aeon

As for rigging and weight painting, I didn't think you needed to do both for any clothing item.  The way it's heading, I can see myself buying some mesh templates with corresponding OBJ or DAE or other associated files in a matter of time.  It's just that I have to wait until I have excess money in the future.  Money is tight for me at this moment, and I have to try to save money in the coming weeks.

Do you know if there are any mesh templates of clothing items that have corresponding DAE/OBJ/3DS files for texturing that I can purchase?

3 minutes ago, Darla Fanbridge said:

As for rigging and weight painting, I didn't think you needed to do both for any clothing item.  The way it's heading, I can see myself buying some mesh templates with corresponding OBJ or DAE or other associated files in a matter of time.  It's just that I have to wait until I have excess money in the future.  Money is tight for me at this moment, and I have to try to save money in the coming weeks.

Do you know if there are any mesh templates of clothing items that have corresponding DAE/OBJ/3DS files for texturing that I can purchase?

There are some on the marketplace but generally they are much more expensive than the typical mesh garment templates.  

Actually I have been learning Blender for over a year and a half now.  When i started in January 2016, I practiced for a while, then took a break after a while, then went back to it weeks later, etc.  I know a lot of the basics now, and i admit, I would like to learn something, and I am going to devote to it, however long it takes.  Plus it would probably be much cheaper to create and upload my creations.

Creating the dress and texture would be the easy task, and I seem to be on the right track with this.  And the rigging would also be easy too, as I saw a video on YouTube but using an older version of Blender.  I may have to learn how to weight paint in Blender from a tutorial when it comes time to do it.

Well, regarding the mesh dress template I purchased on MP last week, while I cannot access the OBJ file to create textures, there may still be a chance for me to create new textures for the dress.  Maybe there is a Notecard inside that explains what to do in texturing, and the Photoshop way may be designed to replace the OBJ file for the sake of efficiency. The package contained UV maps (which depict the grid) and also texture maps (the latter shows the exterior of each side of the skirt, exterior of the top and waist).  I don't have Photoshop anymore (the CS3 is not compatible with Windows 10, from what I learned), but I am sure Paint Shop Pro - which I acquired from a friend in 2007 and is still compatible in Windows 10 -  is a good alternative, which wasn'T free to begin with.  In Paint Shop Pro, I could give the exterior of the skirt, and/or top and/or belt a different texture.  But i do have one question: Could I possibly create the outfit in Blender from the UV map (which depicts the grid)?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.