Adeon Writer

Global Illumination

Global Illumination, or in laymen's terms, light refraction.

Does anyone remember this feature from a few years ack? I believe it was killed off because it didn't play well with blended alpha textures; which was bad, because back then we didn't have the option for alpha masking as we do now.

It was a wonderful feature, I feel like it just came at the wrong time.

Now that we have proper alpha modes, I wonder if it could return?

• Like 1

My video really doesn't do the feature justice. I wish I would have taken more pictures with it out in the wild, back in the day. Minus blended alpha content, SL never looked better with it on. It's just never looked the same without it. It brought the entire scene together. Strongly missed.

On 22 July 2017 at 2:18 AM, Adeon Writer said:

Global Illumination, or in laymen's terms, light refraction.

Strictly speaking it's called Ambient lighting, and in laymans terms it's reflected & scattered light, not specifically refracted light.

In 3d apps it has other terminology, depending on the app, photon conservation, energy conservation, radiosity, etc.

The biggest reason for not having this is to do it properly takes huge amounts of rendering power, not just 'losing alpha blend'

You'd also find that everyone who suddenly found that they cant wear stockings, or translucent silk clothes, or have rain you can still see through, all those things that require blended non binary transparency, would scream blue murder, and come looking for you with torches and pitchforks.

But just for you I dug out this old test render I did while playing with the 'radiosity' settings in cinema4d many years ago...

f202radiosity1.thumb.jpg.cd17fa5a15eaa89367d0b9db6cb8d8e1.jpg
Note the way the red bikini reflects red tinted light up under the wearers chin.

On 7/25/2017 at 1:03 AM, Klytyna said:

You'd also find that everyone who suddenly found that they cant wear stockings, or translucent silk clothes, or have rain you can still see through, all those things that require blended non binary transparency, would scream blue murder, and come looking for you with torches and pitchforks.

I'm going by memory here but I recall blended alpha looking just fine, it was just not included in the GI pass. This was only a problem when someone tried to match up a blended alpha texture with a identicle, but alpha-free texture, as that would cause what was originally similarly shaded textures to show a seam of shading differences. However, that was the specific case where alpha masking is the correct alternative, which would've played fine with GI if they were around at the same time.

This can be seen in non-SL games as well, blended alpha plays just fine with GI engines.

It was the lack of alpha masking, and the blended-work arounds that were used as an alternative, that made GI mess them up. But we don't need to do those kinds of things anymore, GI would play just fine with blended alpha, as it is used today.

As for it being intensive - SL tends to push today's GPU's the hardest knowing tomorrow's GPU's could handle it better. Intensive isn't much of a reason not to include optional eyecandy dor those who can see it. Also it was intensive 5 years ago. Probably not anymore.

Edited by Adeon Writer