Chic Aeon

Beyond Para?

I am not semi-para; I am semi-RP.  I have not been part of a RP sim, group or story in SL for more than a single outing at a time.  However I do RP off line some including my bi-weekly old fashion D&D campaign.  I also have a sub avatar (for lack of a better term) that is a single girl during WWII when so many men are away that I meet Clover with on  Wednesdays.  It's just the two of us tho and not part of a role play group. 

I believe in brevity.  If there is an animation going in world I won't describe it.  Because why?  One sentence to display hints about my emotions since there is no way to accurately portray non-verbal cues and then that is usually followed by a spoken sentence.

/me smiles when she sees you walk near. "well hello, mi amore."

No need to mention sounds, smells, weather, fabric, animals or anything else unless it is a direct influence on the scene.  But that's me.  It's my personality as much as my way of playing.  If you want to be more verbose in your tellings that is perfectly acceptable too.  It lets me know who you are.

• Like 2

I'm a switch hitter :P

When I rp, which isn't very often at all anymore, it's to suit the audience and the situation, so it's very subjective, and can change at any moment, if the situation requires. 

I can say that, most times, I much prefer para, because...words..I like them, a lot, and they can do absolute wonders for a "scene". But one does have to be careful regardless of chosen form, imo. 

I don't think one or the other is better, or worse, it's VERY subjective, in this case the subject being the person(or people I suppose). I've seen terrible folks rp in all kinds of forms, and I don't think any of them represent their chosen form(s) anyway..so I don't judge those forms based on singular subjects. I can honestly say that in my personal experience I have run into far more one liners and quickshot rp-ers that do so absolutely horrendously(and if you're making me laugh about something I shouldn't be laughing about, you're likely doing it "wrong" in my opinion, in which case the rp isn't going to last very long at all, I'll lose interest if I'm supposed to be involved in something more serious and you're making me bust a gut laughing). That doesn't mean everyone's bad at it, but a a lot of folks I've run into most definitely are. Then again, that might have a hell of a lot to do with WHAT we were/are rp-ing too. See..subjective, lol. 

Words...I really like them :D 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

Words...I really like them

/me lowers her eyes in thought. her lips suck in slightly as she gives each word the weight it deserves. Para- semi- right, wrong, subjective.  Rhonda is engrossed by the concepts that tangle in her mind like a wild dance of wills.  Each one twisting in grace before launching itself with power only to be caught by its rival and spun back out to the floor.  Moments pass.  A light wind blows on small lock of hair across Rhonda's face.  The floral scent of her shampoo reminds her of the flowers at her sister's funeral.  Why would these thought encroach on her now?  After so many years have gone; Rhonda has still not reconciled the fact that she is alone.  Alone.  One is all that is left.  Suddenly her eyes snap upwards, bright and sharp in their focus.  The reply is so clear now she wonders what had given her pause in the first place.

"ditto" 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

/me lowers her eyes in thought. her lips suck in slightly as she gives each word the weight it deserves. Para- semi- right, wrong, subjective.  Rhonda is engrossed by the concepts that tangle in her mind like a wild dance of wills.  Each one twisting in grace before launching itself with power only to be caught by its rival and spun back out to the floor.  Moments pass.  A light wind blows on small lock of hair across Rhonda's face.  The floral scent of her shampoo reminds her of the flowers at her sister's funeral.  Why would these thought encroach on her now?  After so many years have gone; Rhonda has still not reconciled the fact that she is alone.  Alone.  One is all that is left.  Suddenly her eyes snap upwards, bright and sharp in their focus.  The reply is so clear now she wonders what had given her pause in the first place.

"ditto" 

I don't RP. I don't know why I've read this thread. But, I have to ask -- do you write? /swoon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a parawriter (think of a paraglider made from the pages of a dictionary). I don't do so well in groups of more than three, and tend to lose bits and pieces of what's going on and start feeling lost. I prefer one on one. It's not that I can't do groups, I just enjoy being able to focus on quality and nuance. It's where the fun lies for me. Of course, I can understand the importance of and the need for concision and brevity in larger groups. No one has much fun if six or seven turns have passed and the day is over. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but as I said, big groups aren't my thing.

Like some of you, I love words. Perhaps that's already become evident. I've only been doing this kind of thing for a little over two years now. Before then, it has only ever been a couple of real space table top rp games, nothing online or remote. Like @Skell Dagger, my style changes throughout and depending on the progression of the scene. Sometimes I focus less effort of the start of a scene, sparing my creativity until and challenging my own vocabulary at or near the end of a scene. But even this can change depending on the needs of a scene and the others involved. Blessedly, I have found partners who enjoy the same thing. Some of the scenes I have been involved in epitomize the title of this thread.

10 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Convert detected.

I don't think I could ever RP... I'm way too literal of a person. I find a vulnerability exists in RP. You put yourself out there to be judged and potentially rejected (this thread is proof of that). Also, I'm probably a *****ty person and am afraid that any RP session is going to lead to sex, and I'm afraid I might write something that leads someone on. I don't like to waste people's time. But I am extremely intrigued by anyone who can do it. I really think it's a gift.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Like some of you, I love words

I don't love words... I just tell them that to get them into bed...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

"ditto" 

Someone is just showing off. :P

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nalytha said:

I don't think I could ever RP... I'm way too literal of a person. I find a vulnerability exists in RP. You put yourself out there to be judged and potentially rejected (this thread is proof of that). Also, I'm probably a *****ty person and am afraid that any RP session is going to lead to sex, and I'm afraid I might write something that leads someone on. I don't like to waste people's time. But I am extremely intrigued by anyone who can do it. I really think it's a gift.

Yes, vulnerability exists in RP. But a good roleplay session is like good sex: you're left feeling a bit sweaty and exhilarated, but you know you and your partner(s!) had a lot of fun ;)

A roleplay session is about give and take. To make it a good one each participant should feel that they got something out of it, which means they also have to give something to everyone else in order for them all to feel that way. Many roleplayers I've encountered over the years are only in it for what they can get out of it; they don't consider the others in the scene or give them anything to work with.

As to worrying about any RP session leading to sex (and leaving aside my daft joke at the beginning of this post) it entirely depends on where you're roleplaying, what the situation is, what the scene is about, and who you're roleplaying with. That's a lot of variables to assume that each one will probably lead to being asked for sex, so don't worry too much about it. And if you are propositioned, there are many inventive ways to tell someone to shove their suggestion where the sun don't shine. That's the beauty of words ;)

8 hours ago, Nalytha said:

You put yourself out there to be judged and potentially rejected (this thread is proof of that).

Yes, you do. I'm happy to do it and be judged by my words:

Location: Venexia. Two Paesani (humans) discuss the vampire overlords from the safety of their ship. (The fish stall became a running joke, if you're wondering why Skell found it so amusing.) Other player's name changed.

Hand over hand on a slippery rope is never easy, especially when you’re still half-asleep. Skell hauls himself over the gunwale and onto the deck of the Redemption. F*cking boats. Give him dry land anytime. He nods to the man standing aft, before ducking into the cabin to see if the Boss (or, more likely, Daros) is around.

James shakes his head, returning from his daydreaming he wanders towards the new face. “Welcome back,” he folds his arms over.

Skell sighs. No sign of Daros. “Aye,” he says. “Back. Been watching for long? Anything happening over there?

“He was here earlier if I recall.” James takes a few steps to stand behind the Captain’s wheel. “We had a Cain in the cage not long ago…it was…entertaining I suppose.”

“Huh.” Skell eyes the now-empty cage. “Did it taste good?” He shifts an amused glance toward the other man, then grins. “Skell, in case Daros hasn’t mentioned me.”

James “Hmms, He may have mentioned your name…but I’m afraid I’m awful with names.” he smiles slightly before turning to look out towards the city.

Skell doesn’t miss the lack of return introduction, but no sign of it registers on his face. One thumb flicks open the button on the small pouch at his belt and he digs inside for something. “He said something yesterday about a job, though buggered if he’d tell me what it was.” He pulls a small clay pipe from the pouch and peers into the bowl.

James hmms, drawing a hand slowly through his hair, tidying it up just a little. Gesturing with a nod of his head towards the Docks. “Ahh, now I remember. He suggested your name to run the Fish Stall…it is an important source of food for us…considering where we are now situated.”

“Fish,” Skell says slowly, almost under his breath. He laughs, shaking his head with a rueful smile. “No wonder he wouldn’t tell me what it was.” He makes as if to knock the pipe against the balustrade then thinks better of it, striding to the gunwale and tapping the bowl against that instead. Then he pulls a smaller leather pouch from his belt pack, opening it and taking a sniff. His face brightens.

James sighs, head tilted as he turns back to Skell. “Better you than me,” he smirks, “I’m not much one for manual labor…or fishy..slimy things.” he added with little emotion. Free hand shifting down to grasp the handle of the whip coiled at his waist, “I’m better suited for other things.”

“Believe me, so am I.” Skell pinches out a generous thumb-and-fingerful of sharp-smelling herb, rolling it into a soft ball before pushing it into the bowl of the pipe. “I think that if I eat much more fish I may develop scales.” He holds out the pouch. “Smoke?”

James shakes his head, waving his hand in dismissal. “That stuff will not help you should you come toe-to-toe with one of them.” He takes a deep breath in as if emphasizing his point. “Considering that the Jakaal are out for our heads…we need to be ready at all times.”

Skell just laughs as he shoves the small pouch back into his belt pack. “This is not the sleepy stuff. This–” in exchange for the pouch he now has his battered tinderbox in his hand, “–is my ‘Wake the f*ck up, Skell’ concoction. Rosemary and peppermint. Clears the head, doesn’t thicken it.” He strikes the flint a couple of times until the spark catches the herb in the bowl of the pipe and a soft curl of clean-scented smoke curls up.

James shakes his head, “I will just be keeping myself clear of as many things as possible.” he smirked, “Thank you for the offer however.” Folding his arms over his chest, hands still playing with his hair.

Skell nods, pushing the tinderbox back into the pack and thumbing it shut again, one-handed. He leans forward, one elbow on the gunwale, looking out over the city. The breeze stirs his hair and is damp on his face. “Got my eye on that house over there,” he says softly, nodding to a fine place just past the Basilica. “When it’s eventually ours.”

James hmms, “Well, once it belongs to the Pae I suppose it will be safe enough, though I don’t think Daros feels too comfortable about it…just seems to emanate from him whenever B speaks of taking the docks.”

Skell draws slowly on the pipe, eyes narrowed against the sunlight. “Not enough of us to take it yet,” he says. “Daros is right there. Caution is the watchword. Pr*ck the demon bastards’ toes before you hamstring ’em.” He chuckles. “A thorn can hobble a lion, as I well know.”

(If I knew how to put spoiler code into this forum to hide longer pieces of text, then I would. I've seen others do it, so can anyone tell me the trick to it, seeing as there's no option that I can see in the post toolbar?)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

(If I knew how to put spoiler code into this forum to hide longer pieces of text, then I would. I've seen others do it, so can anyone tell me the trick to it, seeing as there's no option that I can see in the post toolbar?)

I just write the tags.  Old school BB code style

[spolier]

stuff goes here

[/spoiler]

• Like 1

I like short-para RP best.  Around 5 sentences.  My partner likes much longer paragraph RP, and often writes several "chunks" of posts.  However, he also can churn them out within about the same amount of time as I can churn out a couple sentences.  If I run into a one-line poster, I'll usually cut even shorter for them.  But then, before SL I RPed on IRC in a very rapid-fire way, as well as on forums which was often "novella" length posts.

I think, you gotta do what you enjoy, and let other people do what they enjoy.  But mostly, if the other person is posting content that is engaging and enthralling, no matter how long their post is...I will enjoy RPing with them.  I've known one-line posters who are amazing, and those who are boring as heck.  And I've known long-form paragraph posters who are amazing, and those who are boring as heck. 

I try to encourage this philosophy on our sim (Convergence) as well.  The general rule is, "Post what feels right to you, and if someone else's posting style isn't your ball of wax, move on and find someone else who is."  Some groups on our sim are paragraph length, and some are a shorter form -- two or three sentences, tops.  Not everyone is going to like all RP styles.  Not everyone comes to RP for the same thing.  So, even if I don't have an answer for you, I wish the original poster much luck in what they are looking for, and I hope if you find it, you'll come back and tell us. :D

• Like 6

I'm also an improv roleplayer. If I wanted to write a novel, I would write a novel. It's as simple as that. I'm a tabletop gamer first, and the entire gaming community completely despised people who are there to tell you their story, rather than collaborate together in improv theatre.

Now, that isn't to say that para roleplay is cancer. It is just so far past the entire experience I have that I simply cannot do it. I have no interest in watching someone roleplay by themselves and not allow others to get involved, and that's what para roleplaying is to me.

There are lots of places to roleplay without being a budding author. You just need to stay away from the handful of sims that only want para roleplayers.

I love long, well-crafted RP.  But if you're going to enter full paragraphs, consider that the person you are typing to may have limited patience. Perhaps hit "send" once in awhile so they do not fall asleep waiting for your response.  My other response to "full para" typist is sometimes, "Really? Did you REALLY type all that just now? Or copy/paste it from some old RP?".  Not being judg-ey, just doubting.  Myself, I go for just a couple sentences at a time.

On 23/07/2017 at 10:20 AM, JessiSweeney said:

(...)

ETA: I found this at Google image search (a wonderful tool). I fall, as I'm sure others as well, in the first category.

Here's hoping this places some perspective on the subject.

!!roleplay levels.jpg

I won't be able to rp with a 1liner. This is too short for me. I won't be able to immerse in this kind of rp.

Multi Para and Novella are too much too for me. I don't need every little detail about a character either. This is SL, a 3D world, looking at an avie should already tell about her outfit, her shape, her height, some of her attitude too (with AO).

I rarely rp when my character walks, I would just walk instead. I really start to type a rp only when I want to interact with someone.

On 23/07/2017 at 4:48 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

Regarding elitists of any kind, where the hell are they? I don't know that I've ever met one in SL or RL. By definition, elites must be small in number and powerful.

Then I know an elitist rp sim where one can be kicked/banned if she doesn't fit in a specific mindset.

9 hours ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

I won't be able to rp with a 1liner. This is too short for me. I won't be able to immerse in this kind of rp.

It's like having a conversation with someone. It's not that hard to do, nor is it that hard to have your character shine through, since roleplaying is about acting as your character would act. If anything, it's more immersive, because you have real actions taking place in real time, not a forced narrative that you have to keep retconning every time someone says something.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2017 at 3:50 PM, Zekkiel Zerundi said:

I think, you gotta do what you enjoy, and let other people do what they enjoy.

I feel like this is the only thing that matters, or that should matter. As long as you're not actively ruining other people's fun, there's no wrong way to RP. And sometimes it's best to realize that you and another person won't enjoy playing together, and peacefully go separate ways. There really shouldn't be any reason for people to be jerks to each other over different preferences.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2017 at 9:14 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Every time (EVERY TIME) I look at an interesting RP area it is Para. I am a fast paced gal and get unbelievably bored while waiting for someone to type something (I also type faster than most and that is MY problem LOL).  So are there actually any more spontaneous RP sims out there?   More like improve acting?  

Just wondering. I haven't found any :D. 

OH, I'm with ya on that! I can't stand to sit for like...10 minutes waiting for someone to post. Sometimes, during that type of rp, I just talk in IM to friends, or sort through my inventory...and I do type quickly, too..hehe.

On 8/14/2017 at 7:49 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I love long, well-crafted RP.  But if you're going to enter full paragraphs, consider that the person you are typing to may have limited patience. Perhaps hit "send" once in awhile so they do not fall asleep waiting for your response.  My other response to "full para" typist is sometimes, "Really? Did you REALLY type all that just now? Or copy/paste it from some old RP?".  Not being judg-ey, just doubting.  Myself, I go for just a couple sentences at a time.

Generally, when I'm RPing with someone we are also communicating OOC (out of character) in IMs. Most especially if we have never written together before, one of the questions is "what post size do you go for?" (You can also make that question fairly obscene if you like).

Anyway, by OOC communicating on preferences you can avoid being labeled as "Dickish" by not dragging someone who prefers brevity into a marathon typing session.

You can also discuss limits  ala "I prefer to FTB (fade to black) on sex and not RP that" as well as avoid other pitfalls that come with RPing blindly forward through someone else's preferences.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AmandaKeen said:

Generally, when I'm RPing with someone we are also communicating OOC (out of character) in IMs. Most especially if we have never written together before, one of the questions is "what post size do you go for?" (You can also make that question fairly obscene if you like).

Anyway, by OOC communicating on preferences you can avoid being labeled as "Dickish" by not dragging someone who prefers brevity into a marathon typing session.

You can also discuss limits  ala "I prefer to FTB (fade to black) on sex and not RP that" as well as avoid other pitfalls that come with RPing blindly forward through someone else's preferences.

..and if your RP partner has to have OOC a certain way (emoted, parathentical, etc.) then that's dickish too!

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..and if your RP partner has to have OOC a certain way (emoted, parathentical, etc.) then that's dickish too!

I never thought so. It's handy to have a convention to keep OOC differentiated from In Character - it actually avoids butt-hurt and my objective is always to -expand- the RP community and not let misunderstandings lead to drama.

I have met people who had unreasonable and unrealistic OOC requirements from RP, and the short form response is that if we could not work it out; I politely bow out. 

Having some simple and consensual RP guidelines  (that can bow to the Scene) are handy - no need to re-invent the wheel every time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AmandaKeen said:

Having some simple and consensual RP guidelines  (that can bow to the Scene) are handy - no need to re-invent the wheel every time.

Ok. Here's an example: You show up as a visitor on a sim. The first person who speaks to you (or responds to you) speaks OOC in parentheses. Do you assume that's the "rule"? Do you ask back parentheses to be "nice"? Or, if you are clueless just keep talking normally?  The clueless can't help but be clueless. The person speaking OOC in parentheses should in my opinion say first thing, "(please use parentheses when speaking out of character on this sim)".  I've been embarassed before by not knowing "the rules of the sim".

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok. Here's an example: You show up as a visitor on a sim. The first person who speaks to you (or responds to you) speaks OOC in parentheses. Do you assume that's the "rule"? Do you ask back parentheses to be "nice"? Or, if you are clueless just keep talking normally?  The clueless can't help but be clueless. The person speaking OOC in parentheses should in my opinion say first thing, "(please use parentheses when speaking out of character on this sim)".  I've been embarassed before by not knowing "the rules of the sim".

I never did much RP before SL, so I was the clueless when I first got here and found myself in a Gor sim.  I had no clue what OOC even was.  I was eventually asked to use parens for OOC (they did not say 'out of character'), but then I had to ask (without parens, because I was still clueless), what OOC was. 

:$