Chic Aeon

Beyond Para?

Every time (EVERY TIME) I look at an interesting RP area it is Para. I am a fast paced gal and get unbelievably bored while waiting for someone to type something (I also type faster than most and that is MY problem LOL).  So are there actually any more spontaneous RP sims out there?   More like improve acting?  

Just wondering. I haven't found any :D. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Every time (EVERY TIME) I look at an interesting RP area it is Para. I am a fast paced gal and get unbelievably bored while waiting for someone to type something (I also type faster than most and that is MY problem LOL).  So are there actually any more spontaneous RP sims out there?   More like improve acting?

Just wondering. I haven't found any :D.

I suspect the 5th rate novel writer Stormtroopers of the Para-RP movement have over run most of them, as well las a distressing number of rlv sims, as part of their bid for global domination.

• Like 3

Ahhh, the days/nights of spontaneous give and take. Throwing in some improv and picking up via IM what direction to take the RP. Those were fun times.

Nowadays, it's all feeling, emotions, time of day, temperature and humidity fluctuations and plenty of time to go make a sandwich or two while waiting for an answer to a simple "hi :)". Video killed the radio star at the same rate Para-RP killed the fun of roleplay.

Klytyna pretty much nailed it. I could name names and sims, but shaming is verboten here, so it's best I leave it at that.

ETA: Not everyone can write like Hemingway, nor does everybody wish to. Much the same way with Para-RP, let's have sims that REQUIRE Shakespearean type prose, mix ***** up a bit. That could make an interesting experience by itself.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with simple RP'ing. Some just have a bug to be in charge and turn what could be a fun time into an excruciating exercise.

Thank me later...

Edited by JessiSweeney
  • Like 2

I call my emoting style "stream of consciousness" I'll tell you exactly what i'm doing as I'm doing it.

I prefer when two people are writing a play, not a romance novel.

:)

• Like 3

I personally prefer to keep it short and on point.
Waiting bores me, so does reading about how awesome/cool/sexy the wind blows the hair out of someones face.

What I dislike is the elitist approach of some, acting like they're better roleplayers because they write more.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I What I dislike is the elitist approach of some, acting like they're better roleplayers because they write more.

I figure that those types do the Para because they can't think fast enough to do anything else.

• Like 1

It's less we don't think fast enough, and more - at least in my case - that it's just plain fun. That being said, there's no reason to be a dick about what people prefer. I like Para-RP. That doesn't make me a better or worse RPer than anyone else. You can like semi-para to one lining RP if that's your thing, and again makes you no better or worse than anyone else.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, BitterPanacea said:

That being said, there's no reason to be a dick about what people prefer.

I was not being a dick about Para-RP in general.  If you read carefully (which a Para-RPer should be used to), you will notice that my post was specific to a certain type of Para-RP, which I quoted and will again:

1 hour ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

What I dislike is the elitist approach of some, acting like they're better roleplayers because they write more.

• Like 1

When I roleplayed back then (which I quit in '13 or so, due to health reasons), I always tried to keep my character believable. I didn't write whole monologues (simply because I didn't want my roleplay partners to wait for an eternity) but I mostly wasn't a "rapid fire" player either (except when the dialogue demanded quick short replies, like in an argument for example).

I always tried to follow the motto "Show, don't tell", and described what my character was doing, instead of what she was feeling or thinking. So for example, I didn't tell that my character was nervous (or insecure), I made her act nervously (or insecure) instead:

/me scratches her left arm, looks around while avoiding to look at XY's face, and mumbles: "Erm, do you really think it's a good idea to do that?"

And still I was called an "elitist player" and told to "take the stick out of (my) ass" by some certain players who didn't even think of emoting at least a bit. 9_9

But hey, what do people expect from a hobbyist writer who considers roleplay to be a mix of improvisational theater and collaborative writing?

Edited by eighthdwarf Checchinato
  • Like 1

I am going to respond here -- oddly enough to a post that is no longer here but was a few hours ago. I didn't think we could remove posts in the new forums and "I" didn't see any reason for a mod to delete the post.

I wasn't in any way saying para role play was bad, just that it wasn't something that would work for me. Not sure exactly why someone thought I was putting down that style, just really wanted to know why it seems to be the only choice out there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I wasn't in any way saying para role play was bad, just that it wasn't something that would work for me. Not sure exactly why someone thought I was putting down that style, just really wanted to know why it seems to be the only choice out there.

I don't think at all that you were putting anyone down :o When I remarked on people not being dicks, I was talking about the comment below.

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I figure that those types do the Para because they can't think fast enough to do anything else.

It's kinda rude, and dickish, to say people just can't think fast enough or whatever to do a certain thing. It's about personal preferences.

5 hours ago, JessiSweeney said:

SNAP!

I wanted to remove the response I gave earlier, but found that posts can't be removed (as they were in a prior form). Figured, "well Jess, your toe is in the pool, might as well just jump in".

I will reiterate what I wrote earlier. RP is as fun or as difficult as one makes it. If you appreciate Para RP, so be it. Just keep in mind, some prefer the give and take, keep it moving style. I prefer the fast paced approach. Para RP just gets complicated when it shouldn't have to be.

ETA: I found this at Google image search (a wonderful tool). I fall, as I'm sure others as well, in the first category.

Here's hoping this places some perspective on the subject.

!!roleplay levels.jpg

Edited by JessiSweeney
adding Para RP graph
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, eighthdwarf Checchinato said:

/me scratches her left arm, looks around while avoiding to look at XY's face, and mumbles: "Erm, do you really think it's a good idea to do that?"

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that approach. That's just like emoting. Simple emotes can do wonders where Para RP adds to much emphasis on the moment and not on the action, IMO.

It's those that add such things as "/me scratches her left arm, looks around while avoiding to look at XY's face and notices how bright the sun is, the cloudless sky and remembers that she has a late lunch scheduled for Thursday with Mom and Dad, and mumbles: "Erm, do you really think it's a good idea to do that?"

Edited by JessiSweeney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BitterPanacea said:

It's kinda rude, and dickish, to say people just can't think fast enough or whatever to do a certain thing. It's about personal preferences.

I've seen a lot of 'elite para-rp' types over the years in a number of games... I won't lie to you, I've learned to despise the breed.

It's not so much that para-rp people can't think fast enough, so much as that they have been taught NOT to think at all, or at least not to think about other people.

Many either learned on god-mod power gamer web forums or learned FROM those that learned on god-mod power gamer web forums.

Their whole style is describe all the stuff you can't see in a text only forum post, and god-mod like crazy because the 'Laws of RP' stated opn the forum there, state that you god-mod a wall of text, then your opponent has a limited time to counter god-mod or else your version sticks.

Worst example I ever saw, was a rp web forum attached to an 'enforced rp' modded game server.

You could only save your progress at certaion 'safe areas' in the game, so the Para-Trash who were crap at the actual game, would loiter near the safe zone watching for a gamer to save and logout for the night.

Then the Para-Trash, would pop to the forum and post a wall of text about how they walked into a bar, saw your character, got involved in a game of poker, and won everything you owned.

Since you were offline and asleep, obviously you didn't counter god-mod within the deadline, and then the Para-Trash would log into the game, contact a server cop and demand all your ingame assets "because RP!", and the server cop would agree, you just ;lost the game, account banned, please make a new account with a new character.

There's an RLV sim in SL, thats closed and reopened a number of times over the years, and always for the same reason. The RLV fan opens the place, a para-rp fan tells them they are doing it all wrong, and that they should strip out those rlv traps, and free prims and resources for an 'imersive urban para-rp' environment. And so this happens, the lack of the rlv fun that drew the rlv crowd to the place means traffic bottoms out, the place ends up empty, and closes, then next year they try again.

Recently the third incarnation of this para induced disaster opened, there are multiple themed sim sized 'immersive rp envirioments', what rlv there is, is mostly hidden away in hard to find places, where you have to navigate to the 4th floor of a uszeless empty building thats so badly made that you cant walk unless in 'imersive mouselook'. And when you DO find an rlv trap...

"To encourage rp, the traps all now lock for 4 hours"

So, what happens is you stumble into a trap, get turned by rlv into, oh for example a 'roman hooker', teleported to the 'roman brothel rp area' and left there for 4 hours as a live human npc, just in case some para-trash should happen by and want you as an extra in their 'story'.

In practice, there's 3 people on the sim, two trap victims who cant get to each other, over a kilometer apart, and 1 para-trash who's pissed that the other two people are not in the same imersive rp place they are and appear to have been afk for 3 hours waiting for the timers to unlock, and are probably "filthy rlv button pushers who cant para" anyway...

Every time this place reopens, theres a short rush as the rlv fans go and explore, followed by a long long period of abandonment, and disuse, during which the paras claim the problem is caused by "too much rlv and not enough para, need more para more para para uber alles zeig para *foam froth rant goosestep*".

You say it's about personal preferences... That's funny, because empirical evidence suggests that paras don't give a rats backside about any preferences but their own, you will obey the Laws of Para-RP, your character will conform to their story, you are just a bit player/npc and THEY are the great Elite Para Lead! Star of the Movie, Creator of the Plot, Hero of the Sim...

Somewhere out there, on the World Wide Weird, theres a web site, lets call it what it really is...

www.clueless.quasi-illiterate.god-mod.elitist.para-rp.bigots.org

And that web site has a lot to answer for...

• Like 2

I'd like to point out that I don't have anything against para-rp in general.
I mean, I do prefer short and simple, but that doesn't mean I can't or won't para at all. It just depends on a few factors with me.
General rule of mine - the more people are involved, the less I write. Both in quantity and frequency. (I've been to RP-events where you could not read the chat, because it RUN down your screen, because everyone had to emote unnessesary stuff). In those situations, I basicially reduce it to the most important.
Also, the general pace of the situation. An argument, or a quick getaway from something? I'll keep it quick. Just meeting someone, a casual stroll through a market? I write a bit more.
Introducing a scene, a talk in private with someone? I'm propbly write more.
I also tend to match the lenght of my posts to the people I play with.

• Like 1

I guess I'm on the outs with -this- group :-)

01..I prefer Parapost, it just reads better. 

02..I have never told anyone "parapost or I won't play with you". Being flexible means a wider base of people to play with.

03..Metered combat is like inventing metered sex and both would  have one thing in common: neither are any fun to me :-)

04..The people who evidently were so assinine about forcing people to Parapost are probably part of the Shrinking RP Community problem,, and should be slapped with a wet mackerel for poisoning the well so profoundly. Para is an option, there are degrees to Parapost (some are very laconic and livable) and it should never be mandatory and a bar to play.

05..I'm evidently a weirdo; I adapt my style to the audience.

Hey..we already knew I was a wierdo........

/me types madly

giphy.gif

• Like 7

7 hours ago, BitterPanacea said:

It is kind of dickish to continue to assume a statement is made about a general group of people when it was specifically made about a subset of people - those that "think they are better than others because they write more". 

It is kind of dickish to be the elitist type that thinks that way to begin with and therefore any snide comment about that type is fair game, IMO. 

If the shoe fits, fine, otherwise the comment was not about you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BitterPanacea said:

I don't think at all that you were putting anyone down :o When I remarked on people not being dicks, I was talking about the comment below.

I don't think my remark was about your remark LOL. Actually I guess someone must have rewritten what they originally wrote although I didn't think it was that bad, just that they misunderstood my purpose in the OP. 

So just setting that straight. 

I have tried para-RP and done well enough to avoid being banned. It's an interesting form, though not one that comes naturally to me. I'm sure I could enjoy it with the right company. Amanda sounds like the right company.

Regarding elitists of any kind, where the hell are they? I don't know that I've ever met one in SL or RL. By definition, elites must be small in number and powerful. I do meet people who like different things than I, or even dislike me. But, they can't be elite, there so so many of them. The only thing common in my perception of them is me, so that's where I look first when I sense something's amiss.

There's also the issue of trying to enter a new social group. That's often tough, but not always because they're elite. The real problem is that social groups are full of people.

;-).

• Like 4

If this makes anyone feel better about "elite" Para Roleplayers, I saw this today after attending a reunion of sorts on Saturday for a roleplay sim I dearly loved. I saw lots of old friends and we talked a LOT about the depressing state of RP in SL and a common theme was; "It's sad that the off-putting role play groups are the ones whose sims seem to stay funded.

Scattered about the Reunion we had all kinds of playstyles and some very good -people-. Unfortunately, we all have real-lives that keep us from being on 20 hours a day and real-world social interactions that arm us with the ability to get along with our own species.

I suspect a good chunk of these "Parapost Nazis" (airquotes) I hear about but rarely meet are the folks who can spend way too much time in SL and whose people/coping skills have suffered. They try to ramrod others because they just "operate differently", and let's be honest.....who has NOT noticed that the internet draws some odd personalities at times? (Include me in that "odd" type)

The folks I reconnected with with last night were WORTH boo-hooing over, and I probably did 2 or 3 times during the event :-)

It bothers me to see them generalized into the same "Dickish" lump as the people behaving arrogantly; these are my friends and they have not earned that. Still, I acknowledge that individual experiences me vary.

Unfortunately, the ones who -are- causing issues can be like the Energizer Bunny.

Life was never advertised as "fair" :-(

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

I guess I'm on the outs with -this- group :-)

01..I prefer Parapost, it just reads better. 

02..I have never told anyone "parapost or I won't play with you". Being flexible means a wider base of people to play with.

03..Metered combat is like inventing metered sex and both would  have one thing in common: neither are any fun to me :-)

04..The people who evidently were so assinine about forcing people to Parapost are probably part of the Shrinking RP Community problem,, and should be slapped with a wet mackerel for poisoning the well so profoundly. Para is an option, there are degrees to Parapost (some are very laconic and livable) and it should never be mandatory and a bar to play.

05..I'm evidently a weirdo; I adapt my style to the audience.

Hey..we already knew I was a wierdo........

/me types madly

giphy.gif

THANK YOU.

According to the 'styles of RP' image posted earlier in this thread, I'm 1-liner, semi-para, para, and (when I'm setting up a scene) multi-para. Like you, I adapt to those around me. I have a preference for some form of para, but I certainly don't demand it and I don't behave like an elitist purely because I prefer para-RP. I will always do my best to move the scene forward, work with everyone involved in it, give as well as take, and hopefully everyone finishes the scene feeling good about it. And, like you, I'd rather roleplay combat. Button-mashing is anathema to me. I've noticed that most people who get pissy when I say I would rather roleplay combat are the ones who spend hours practicing because they hate to lose and don't like the idea of a pair of RP dice - pure chance! - choosing the outcome if we end at an impasse.

That said, I haven't roleplayed in SL for years (and this coming from a seasoned MUSH/MUD RPer who frequently looked up at the end of an exhilarating 16-hour RP session only to realise that hey, when did the sun rise?!) because so many people - both para and 1-liner - insisted on Red-Queening ("All ways are MY way!") their way through roleplay sims.

*hefts another wet mackerel and joins you in the slapping*

ETA: I noticed, also, that every time I found a new RP sim, the same handful of roleplayers would turn up in hope - like me - and then give up when they realised how clicquey those places were. I saw the same names here and there, many times over, and it was pretty depressing to know that, just like me (and you and your group of friends) they were also finding it difficult to find a place where they felt they belonged.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 7