LL again dont care

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

See: Oz Linden post on llhttprequest changes

Some scripters were hacking the llhttprequest command to get functionality they wanted. The command has been changed & the scripts will have to be updated to work again. This was found in a Magnum server release at the end of June. Shoutcast board makers started fixing their devices then. A few quick searches would've found all the information you needed. There's no need to whine about LL. They made changes because they had to.

• Like 14

Some of the DJ board makers aren't all that pro-active about monitoring all the news from LL. This change was known for some time, but some end-users are stuck with obsolete or unsupported equipment.

I have to say, though, the whole Shoutcast interface is just insanely fragile; look at it cross-wise and it will break. This is not the first time in my memory that it broke, and I bet it won't be the last.

• Like 7

I have to side with LL on this. They were abusing a security exploit to make stuff work.

This needed to be patched to prevent people from spoofing who owns the object and where the object is located, along with other details.

Because this was a exploit, the developers of the board should have known it would eventually be fixed.

They went about this wrong. Instead of exploiting a bug, they should have filed a feature request.

• Like 9

Even though I ended up with some broken kit (which the creator has made an upgrade available so very happy with them) have to agree this was a good move on the Labs part. Plus it has been front and centre in terms of discussion here (and elsewhere) for some weeks so not exactly a surprise. Double plus it kicked me in to cobbling together one for my own use.

Not being a DJ or running a club, I basically paid almost no attention to the whole "Wah my dj board wont work right, now i have to SAY the name of the song I play in chat" thread.

I hang out on a couple of RC channel sims, and on wednesday, we got bonus extra resets! Yay!.

And when friends and aquaintances asked me if I had any idea why this was all happening, the best answer I could give off the top of my head was 

"whiny dj's don't like having to say the names of their songs rather than having some scripted lag tech do it for them"

Now, we now know it's about fixing server exploits, and messing with dj's is just an amusing side effect, but for a lot of people out there on wednesday, suddenly getting bounced off regions by bonus restarts for what appeared to the layman to simply be a 'dj board fix' didn't go down very well.

Never mind giving adequate notice to club owners (who should have fot that from their board vendors), how about a decent heads up for the poor bastards who had their activities interrupted with no warning when they thought it was safe to resume normal SecondLife.

11 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

I know many that were not aware of this, that's my rant 

and nobody of that many, thought.... hey lets look at the forums to see if there are more with this problem .... or even google it, or... or... but no it's a lot easier to blame others instead of admitting "oh yes... there is a whole thread about it for some weeks... i missed that" ...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

I totally agree with any security fix, that is not the issue here, the issue is was their ample notice given by LL about this, I know many that were not aware of this, that's my rant 

There was ample notice, if people bothered to look for it, or the discussions. You can't blame LL for people's lack of motivation to be informed. 

• Like 8

Tari you seem to know that this was happening, then please explain why many Shoutcast board makers were not? was it small print hidden somewhere? this is a major significant 

fixed and should have been publicized more, even firestorm staff were not aware, so you think LLs gave ample notice show me where it was located

Edited by greek Wingtips

57 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

show me where it was located

A quick search of these forums will show you many posts about it going back to early June.  search for posts by Oz Linden

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, greek Wingtips said:

Tari you seem to know that this was happening, then please explain why many Shoutcast board makers were not? was it small print hidden somewhere? this is a major significant 

fixed and should have been publicized more, even firestorm staff were not aware, so you think LLs gave ample notice show me where it was located

How can I explain why other people don't look for the information they need? Ask them, not me.I found what I was looking for 

I agree, ignorance IS majorly significant..if it affects one's business.

Ftr, I use scripts that were affected by all of this, and if I, a mere peon, that does NOT work on these products everyday, or rely on them heavily for my sl income(let alone rl income) could find it, saw it being discussed and paid close attention(even just after coming back after a month on vacation)..so can anyone else. 

And no I won't do your work for you,,. I have more important things to do, like read the forums to find out other information I may or may not know.

Knowledge is power :D 

• Like 6

Tari,how can one look for something that's working, something as major fix as this should be published in a massive way, I know LL has the ability to flash a screen message on everyone's screen, so why not do that for such a major fix.

their loads of DJ and Club forums groups and none knew about this, would it have been that difficult for LL to post a message on them , then let word and mouth take over,  rather than  wait for 100s to go on MP and buy new boards, which I hasten to add would be a nice little profit for LL's

Edited by greek Wingtips

6 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

Tari,how can one look for something that's working, something as major fix as this should be published in a massive way, I know LL has the ability to flash a screen message on everyone's screen, so why not do that for such a major fix.

their loads of DJ and Club forums groups and none knew about this, would it have been that difficult for LL to post a message on them , then let word and mouth take over,  rather than  wait for 100s to go on MP and buy new boards, which I hasten to add would be a nice little profit for LL's

Sl has had a lot of "major fixes" over the years. When was the last time you saw one flash across your screen?

Apparently some of us did know about it when it began to be problematic...because, and as others have pointed out if you were reading responses, it's been discussed here. I have seen it discussed among DJs, club owners, people that create things that utilize scripts reliant upon it, etc.. etc.. If I, a legally blind person, a hobbyist merchant at best, that only utilizes the scripts sometimes but most certainly NOT as my bread and butter can find this information, then no one else has any excuse.

Also, most creators of these products are *not* requiring people to go to the MP to buy new boards(which, if you'd been paying attention to the discussions at all, would also have likely had the same issue, if not at that very moment, the at some point). If a creator is making people pay for an update, well I'd probably call that a crappy creator(my own personal opinion) and I'd want to go with someone else anyway. The people that have bought things from me, even YEARS ago, that used these now broken scripts got free replacements. And let me tell ya, that wasn't easy. I keep good records, but I don't use automated systems, so I go through all of my transactions since the dawn of the item's creation to find each and every person that bought it...and I sent them a new one. Which is what the vast majority of creators/merchants that sell these products are doing. So don't get your knackers in a knot over people having to "go buy new boards" when most people don't actually have to(they may CHOOSE to, but they don't all HAVE to, big difference)

We know what goes into each update, because LL tells us. The responsibility of READING what LL tells us, lies solely on our own shoulders, not LLs. You may not like their presentation, hell most of the time I don't either. But that doesn't mean a presentation did not exist. It means some people are too damn lazy to read what changes are being made-which, again, LL publishes for us to read(even though they don't have to). So, yeah, we knew the change was coming, we knew the exploit existed, it's been discussed for ages now. Being too lazy to read things isn't anyone's problem but your own. 

You're getting pissy simply because people, including yourself, didn't  or don't READ things they probably should be reading. Not LL's fault...and I'm hardly one to stick up for LL to be honest..they make a lot of dumb moves. This, however, isn't one of them.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Christin73 said:

This would explain the double restarts. It would also explain why I had to reset every kittycat I own because of scripting errors. Hopefully they get the bugs out and it helps in the long run.

The roll on thursday has nothing to do with the dj boards issues. The HTTP changes were deployed to the main channel on Tuesday. On Wednesday new RC server versions had been deployed to the RC channels, which indeed contain the HTTP changes of the main channel as well, plus some new stuff. Actually, all RC regions were rolled to the same version as the main channel, because:

Mazidox Tester: We had to roll everything to the same version because the remaining RC release had a creeping crash bug that we couldn't replicate with Aditi, and that was just gonna be a bad experience for everyone by next week.

• Like 1

This is just another case of LL screwing with stuff that did not need messed with, if it's not broke, don't fix it.... But as usual anything they touch they botch big time and becomes another problem for the SL users, instead of an actual fix......

You can't help people unwilling to help themselves.

Personally, I'm a fan of companies fixing exploits. I suppose folks that might take advantage of said exploits would take issue with it. I can't see a reasonable reason for anyone else to have an issue with it though. Enlighten the masses....why do you believe LL should not have fixed this issue? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Az Mystiere said:

LL botches everything they touch, so yes this is another one of their attempts that has blown up and caused everyone problems, when LL is supposed to be helping us LOL yeah right....

They touched SL, so they must have botched SL itself, which begs the question, why are you here?

Or, to put it another way, nobody here gives a rat's ass for your views in this respect.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Az Mystiere said:

This is just another case of LL screwing with stuff that did not need messed with, if it's not broke, don't fix it....

Sorry, but this fix is know to come for weeks or longer. and it where always broken. The just fixed it. I guess you never update your computer to keep it secure. because it works ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.