Strong bonds with our pets...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a few 'prim pets' in SL. To be honest these days they mostly sit in my inventory but I know they are there.

In RL my furry friend is very important to me - she makes the bad bits of life quite bearable. She is a rescue dog and although I have had her many years now she still bears the psychological scars of what happened to her before she was rescued. She is very loving and despite what humans did to her in the past she trusts me totally. What better affirmation in life could one have than that!

trudi.jpg

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I go to extraordinary lengths to improve the relationship I have with my pet. I tend to prefer pets to people - in RL as well as SL.

04-17-2011 09:18 AM - last edited on 04-17-2011 09:23 AM

Um, we're talking scripted prim pets, right? 

lol

No, I wouldn't coddle and nurture my prim pet, if I owned one.

And I don't buy my computer birthday presents either. 

Are you not entirely comfortable with this whole "Identity and Relationships Forum" thing, Storm?______________________________________________________________________________________________

what  she said

also::::

How in the world  do  you  bond with a pixel .. meaning how needy are you to feel affection for a pixel something  that does not  exist.   I own many  animals in SL  and  they are  just that  pixel pets.  Btw  they can only  be perfect  cause they are a scripted program, their  behavior is what  you  or whom ever has your perms  dictates it to be.  The minute  you put this "pet" in  your inventory is shows that it is what it is .. Inventory of pixels in SL.. nothing more. So  if your Sl pet is misbehaving possibly  the person that  has the  perms is  just  blowing off steam and using the pixel animal  to show their feelings.

I leave the emotional feeling part for my animals in  real... my  2  Black Mouthed Curs puppies,  my 7  Siamese cats  and  4 barn  cats.   However I do not extend that  same  emotion  towards my  cattle or any  type of livestock. Sometimes it makes me wonder where peoples  heads are at in SL... sighs.

For all you  pet lovers  IN REAL  remember to spay or  neuter your pet and  give financially  to your local pet shelters. 

So, why do you purchase pixel animals?  While they are pixel nothings, they represent something to you, no?  Else, why spend the Lindens?   If you're asking how one bonds with a pixel, how does one cultivate friendships with  pixels or even marry them??

I do understand what you're saying.  I would look beyond the surface of the OP to seek a deeper meaning.  Or, take a sip of that sweet tea.

Easy  I am  contributing  to a creator/designers well being financially as  many  are  friends of mine in SL.   As far as pixel pets representing something to me not really  they are adding to  the landscape  nothing  more such as a  bird in the  sky over my sim does. 

As for my  Lindens well I have a lot  so I spend  how I want to spend it.. Don't you???  The creators and designers enjoy the small amount of revenue they make from their wonderful creations surely you're not suggesting I should not  spend my money with them???? 

Sorry  Venus  but I do not  cultivate  friends with a pixel...  I do however with the person  behind the avatar/pixels.  I am not shallow  enough to think  the pixels/avatars  people use here  look like them or are them nor  do I  crush out on their pixels like many do here apparently. So  to sum it  up I do try  to get to know the person BEHIND the pixels apparently unlike  some.. possibly.. I don't know I can  only assume .. then again I am just a country  girl  ~smiles and shrugs~.  Btw this subject of friendships and marriage is a bit off topic  from the OP and her/his attachment to pixel animals .. However if you would like to start  another  thread in this   same sub forum for relationships in SL  that  do not involve pixel pets I am betting  the farm  many would enjoy it  :smileyhappy:

Looks over at you and  smiles as I offer you a  glass of sweet tea .. Do have some I think  it will cool you off and  you can even  keep the mason jar as a  small but sincerely meant gift .  :smileyhappy:

BTW  I did look  below  the  surface  and it scared me.... pixel animals  are pixel animals  .. and  real animals are real animals.. I form attachments to  animals in real not in pixel form.  If the OP is making  comments abt another type of "pet"  he needs to make that clear as it reads the 4  legged  bow wow and  meow  kind of pixels.. If she/he had a deeper meaning they should have written it a bit more clearly so  all of us "ordinary folks" got it  :smileywink: 

For all you  pet lovers  IN REAL  remember to spay or  neuter your pet and  give financially  to your local pet shelters. 

Angel Harmison wrote:

04-17-2011
09:18 AM
- last edited on
04-17-2011
09:23 AM

lol

Are you not entirely comfortable with this whole "Identity and Relationships Forum" thing, Storm?______________________________________________________________________________________________

what  she said

How in the world  do  you  bond with a pixel .. meaning how needy are you to feel affection for a pixel something  that does not  exist.   I own many  animals in SL  and  they are  just that  pixel pets.  Btw  they can only  be perfect  cause they are a scripted program, their  behavior is what  you  or whom ever has your perms  dictates it to be.  The minute  you put this "pet" in  your inventory is shows that it is what it is .. Inventory of pixels in SL.. nothing more. So  if your Sl pet is misbehaving possibly  the person that  has the  perms is  just  blowing off steam and using the pixel animal  to show their feelings.

I leave the emotional feeling part for my animals in  real... my  2  Black Mouthed Curs puppies,  my 7  Siamese cats  and  4 barn  cats.   However I do not extend that  same  emotion  towards my  cattle or any  type of livestock. Sometimes it makes me wonder where peoples  heads are at in SL... sighs.

I am a he, not a she.  Get your gender correct; so it is what 'he' said that you quoted and agree with.

Thank you.  And whose 'pet' are you?  I forgot as I don't follow your twitter tweets that much.  

ETA  NVM, it was a rhetorical question, I know. 

Well I do not  know your  gender as I have never met you nor spoke to you on the phone as I have many here in SL.  However if you are  a guy in SL and in the  forums ..great .. I am  glad to  meet you Mr.. Storm  but honestly I do not agree with you at all regarding  pixel pets.  I  have  zero emotional attachment to pixel pets. So your assumption of "you quoted and agree with" is  totally incorrect.. sorry 

As for  me  being a "pet" no I am  just me  I have  been  just me  since I arrived in  SL  abt  5-6 years ago and I have no alts and have only used this one account for all these years.  I figure if I screw up or do good I need to take responsibility for  my actions  not  run off get a new account and start over.   I  do not  do that "pet" stuff in SL  however I have enjoyed reading abt it on the old forums but I do not think  it is something I  would participate in here in  SL.

As for me and  twitter no I do not twitter.  To me is a waste of  time and life I set up an account under AngelHarmison1  but have never used it .   I  run a farm in real with real animals and real livestock so  twitter is something  that is silly to me sides I have  fun here umm unless this is like twitter and you are  confused also  then  you prolly have read me here in the  forums. Just to clear it all  up  if you have read me in twitter it apparently is not me you are reading sorry.. but paranoia  will destroy you .. so I have heard. So please  let  paranoia go with me I am not a twitterer anything I have written is right here in the  forums   :smileywink:

I am not sure what you mean by:: 

but neat I hope  you  find  what you are seeking in the  way of a  pet .. btw  is a pleasure to write with you :smileyhappy:

My best to you

Angel 

My my the chief PIC seems to be somewhat upset to see disagreement.

It's okay you are allowed to have a relationship with your pixel animal.

I think there might be a group for that.

Not sure what this has to do with SL

<storm snip> 

ETA Do you think people who treat their pets poorly will eventually treat their friends poorly - in any type of relationship?  I do. 

Oh well fill the pages I guess.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Thank you.  
And whose 'pet' are you
?
 I forgot as I don't follow your twitter tweets
that much

Storm Clarence wrote:

Angel Harmison wrote:

04-17-2011
09:18 AM
- last edited on
04-17-2011
09:23 AM

lol

what  she said

I am a he, not a she.  Get your gender correct; so it is what 'he' said that you quoted and agree with.

Thank you.  
And whose 'pet' are you?
 I forgot as I don't follow your twitter tweets that much.  

Storm, Angel hit the reply button on your post .. yes. But she QUOTED Scylla's post. So you are the one incorrect and you need to get your eyes working better .. unless you want to take credit for Scylla's words and opinions.

As to the last (supposedly rhetorical) question .. LMAO Are you so narrow minded to think that women can't have their own opinions? You believe that just because a woman posts here that she must be someone's "pet" (a thinly veiled stab at calling someone a sock puppet)?

Dude! You seriously need to join the 21st Century and lose that chauvinist filter over your brain..

Hey Storm!

Believe it or not I have a pet in SL!  He is a horse.  I named him Tanner.  He does need attention, as he gets hungry, thirsty, and gets unhappy if I don't ride him, or give him salt!  Sigh!  And yes!  I have become rather attached to him.  Go figure!

EDIT  I added some pictures of my Dog Junior. I  really miss him.

junior1.jpg

JR2.jpg

jr3.jpg

Peace!

Seraphiel Galaxy wrote:

Val I hope Greta is settling down well in her new home......she's lovely, what breed is she?

Mags I agree....there is no better affirmation in life than to give and receive love unconditionally.....she's gorgeous and I'm glad you found each other.

Sera, she made herself home on the very first day and yes, she's adorable! She is a "Bouvier des Flandres"... I don't think there is translation for that, lol, but her breed makes good sheep keepers. (OMG! Shall I have to buy sheeps now??? :smileytongue:)

Storm Clarence wrote:

Thank you.  
And whose 'pet' are you?
 I forgot as I don't follow your twitter tweets that much.  

Umm .. Storm? Silence is not an appropriate response. As the head of the PICards, the one that championed proper manners and respect for all .. don't you feel it important that you demonstrate the spirit of that sentiment and apologize to Angel for blasting her .. wrongly?

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Hi Val!  She looks just like my dog "Junior"  He passed away last year.  He was a Puli, or a Hungarian sheep dog!  Beautiful and very loyal dog!  Hugs to ya!

Peace!

I remember last year when your dog passed.  I knew you were sad, but it is good to see photos of other dogs that bring back fond memories.  Our pets are important.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Hi Val!  She looks just like my dog "Junior"  He passed away last year.  He was a Puli, or a Hungarian sheep dog!  Beautiful and very loyal dog!  Hugs to ya!

Peace!

I remember last year when your dog passed.  I knew you were sad, but it is good to see photos of other dogs that bring back fond memories.  Our pets are important.

Oh yes Storm!  Nothing like a loyal pet to put things into perspective huh!?  Great thread my friend!

Peace!

valerie Inshan wrote:

Seraphiel Galaxy wrote:

Val I hope Greta is settling down well in her new home......she's lovely, what breed is she?

Mags I agree....there is no better affirmation in life than to give and receive love unconditionally.....she's gorgeous and I'm glad you found each other.

Sera, she made herself home on the very first day and yes, she's adorable! She is a "Bouvier des Flandres"... I don't think there is translation for that, lol, but her breed makes good sheep keepers. (OMG! Shall I have to buy sheeps now??? :smileytongue:)

I've just been reading up on the Bouvier as I'd never heard of them before.  Sounds like she will look after you well Val and you have a good loyal companion by your side. hugs.gif

Greta looks like a complete sweetie - I hope you have many happy years together - and I'm sure you will.

Now - regarding the OP

Although SL prim pets can be fun or add atmosphere to place (the reason I mainly got mine) I'd not place too much emphasis on how people 'treat prim pets' on SL - though to be honest if someone was overly cruel/violent to a prim animal I'd probably think it wise to avoid them - but that would depend on the circumstances much the same as how people treat other 'avatars'.

However people who are cruel to animals in RL immediately arouse all my wary instincts. You don't have to love animals or be sentimental about them in order to treat a living being with respect.

But that's just my opinion.

Too hard to resist this thread!  I have quite a few dogs (almost all are rescued dogs) and if I had time I would have them in SL too.  I think that pets, pictures of our pets and pets in SL can all evoke a happy feeling.  Here is an example of why my relationship with my pets is important.  How can you not smile?  :) 

Welcome Home puppy2.jpg

Lexie Linden wrote:

Too hard to resist this thread!  I have quite a few dogs (almost all are rescued dogs) and if I had time I would have them in SL too.  I think that pets, pictures of our pets and pets in SL can all evoke a happy feeling.  Here is an example of why my relationship with my pets is important.  How can you not smile? 
:)

Welcome Home puppy2.jpg

OMG Lexie!  So adorable.  Girl or boy?  Yes I agree.  Pets are a large part of our lives, so why now a large part of our Second Lives!  Woot!

Peace!

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Lexie Linden wrote:

Too hard to resist this thread!  I have quite a few dogs (almost all are rescued dogs) and if I had time I would have them in SL too.  I think that pets, pictures of our pets and pets in SL can all evoke a happy feeling.  Here is an example of why my relationship with my pets is important.  How can you not smile? 

Welcome Home puppy2.jpg

OMG Lexie!  So adorable.  Girl or boy?  Yes I agree.  Pets are a large part of our lives, so why now a large part of our Second Lives!  Woot!

Peace!

Male Lab mix  :)  And at the rate he is growing I think the mix is Great Dane :P

Lexie Linden wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Lexie Linden wrote:

Welcome Home puppy2.jpg

Peace!

Male Lab mix 
  And at the rate he is growing I think the mix is Great Dane
:P

Ahh!  So nice!  I see the big paws.  I bet he will be huge!  LOL!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.