OK so, I need to ask because I'm seeing it a lot now and I cant find information.

CaraMcLean

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/28/2017 at 5:22 AM, XxMaddisynxX said:

I believe it's the result of obesity becoming normalized within western culture.  The women who use these shapes refer to themselves as "curvy" rather than fat even though they are well above healthy bmi.  

obesity isn't becoming normalized, its the 'everything is good, everything is acceptable" way of looking at life.

"I'm not morbidly obese and risking my heath, I'm sexy and wonderful, and i have a healthy dose of self esteme... i'm beautiful and you are just a hater"

:)

Really? You guys on this thread think your avatars are that great looking enough that you can mock others? I disagree.

Far too often, those that are busy making fun of a sl fashion trend have no business doing it. Why? Because their avatars look just as garbage.

For example, let me discuss in the mean-spirited way that some of you seem to enjoy. The sl trend that I sometimes witness. The “semi noob”.

Semi noobs are below the more fashionable frownie faced white haired avatars.

The semi-noobs tend to flock at fashion events and purchase mesh bodies and outfits. Despite all the money they spend, they still have a very plain shape, simplistic looking skin and overall uninspired look. They keep to the traditional unoriginal shape and are slightly above the default mesh avatar. Often their photoshopped pictures on Flickr make them look way better than they do in-world.

Some semi noobs carry this uppity attitude and elitism of what fashion and shapes should look like. Proportion is key to them. Particularly with your use of appearance sliders.

You can find some of them on this thread spreading their only negative “urban/ghetto” stereotypes to a particular avatar shape.

For example, if you have a thick backside or hips, some will automatically dub you as Gangsta-Crapper "Shake dat booty, my anaconda likes" Teenage Ghetto-Homiez Wannabee” because it doesn’t fit their standard of what a pixel avatar should look like.

Some of these semi noobs even feel the need to hop on a forum and act ignorant af because they care that much, yet they unknowingly look even more trashy than the avatars in question due to their lowbrow commentary and assumptions of the urban/black variety.

Please note this elitist behaviour is not just limited to semi noobs. You will also find this type of conversation with those that associate themselves as BDSM, furry, LGBTQ, vampire, bimbo etc. In other words, those communities that often have their own negative stereotypes but somehow fail to realize the stupidity and irony of what is happening here.

• Like 1

This topic reminds me of something I learned a couple years ago. There was a convince store I used to stop at all the time after work and they had a large collection of adult magazines and I thought who still buys these things there's so much on the internet who needs to pay money for magazines. So I asked the clerk do you still sell a lot of those and he said yes so I asked what was the most popular ones and he told me the big and fat lady mag's. I was like what I didn't know you sold mag's like that he informed me they we're the fattest selling magazines he had and people would wait in the cars on deliver day to get them as soon as they could. He would sell them out within hours. So when you think something is not a thing just because it isn't in your world apparently its a thing in SL.

Edited by Sim Myoo

12 hours ago, Clairice said:

Really? You guys on this thread think your avatars are that great looking enough that you can mock others? I disagree.

You're right of course, we shouldn't make fun of how people choose to present their avis in SL.

But it's still a very interesting phenomenon because there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason why this particular style has become as common as it is among SL users and even more common among SL clothes designers.

I know a few people who were into the style early and I have a pretty good idea why they did it. They wanted the shock effect, they wanted to be different and they wanted to test the limits of their Tangos and Brazilias. And since they all have a wicked sense of humor, I suspect they also wanted to parody the not very well proportioned avatars you usually see in SL.

I also know a few people who are seriously into the gansta style and it's easy to understand why they go for it.

None of those reasons apply to the majority of exaggerated curves avatars today though and I'm genuinely curious about why.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

Personally, I am glad that there is a lot more variety in shapes today then there was when I first joined SL. With that said, trends are nothing new in SL, beauty is subjective, and I usually pay more attention to the avi's I like, then the ones I don't.

• Like 2

On 28/07/2017 at 6:22 AM, XxMaddisynxX said:

3. RL ethnicity such as some Brazilian (and others) do have this natural body shape which is considered naturally.

I can say that we Brazilian girls are not like that. 
lol

It may even be that we have more curves ... :)
But we are more like Rhonda Huntress.

On 20/07/2017 at 6:31 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

Snapshot_004a.thumb.jpg.f52072ad5713d10905a24caaeaec13b4.jpg

/me shrugs

To tell you the truth, if she walks around here like this image, she will naturally blend with all of us Brazilian girls.

And this here is me, as you can see I do not have it so exaggerated.

2.jpg.7023175fb3e96cd012667609293805da.jpg

• Like 4

Its not even that I dislike it, I kinda do dislike it personally but I'm easy come, easy go with what people want in SL, I mean, I'm Neko which is definitely not everyone's cup of coco which I totally get, its more just my confusion of why such a strange alien shape is so wide spread.

Maybe I was harsh when I said it was putting me off clothing stores but, I cant lie, when I see them using a model that is so alien in shape and style, it does make me question their aesthetics when it comes to style and just turns me off their products completely.  

• Moderators

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Unfortunately, many posts in this thread have been removed or edited for violations of the Community Participation guidelines.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

Off Topic Posts - Please do not post content to a thread that is off topic for the conversation.  It is not a nice thing to do.

Personal Attacks - Making personal attacks against other users is beyond inappropriate.

Profanity - While it is assumed that most Second Life users are adults, profanity is NOT appropriate, in any shape, form, or attempt at masking, on the Forums.  

These forums are provided by Linden Lab for you, the users of Second Life, to communicate with each other.  Linden Lab welcomes and encourages users to discuss, with civility, anything Second Life related on the forums. 

Each user is entitled to their own thoughts, feelings, and opinions about Second Life and any content available within Second Life. 

You may disagree with each other.  You may outline and discuss your disagreements. 

You may not, however, attack each other over those differences. 

Attacking each other is completely, and utterly, unacceptable. 

If you feel that you are unable to continue the conversation without making attacks against others, you are invited to participate in one of the hundreds of other currently active conversations on the Forums, but please do not continue with this one.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.