Are people who speak English allowed in International places?

Dagger Fluffpaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

So's mine.  I speak French, German, and Swedish well enough to get along, and can at least understand a couple of other languages, but not Japanese. I'd be as clueless as you. Just like traveling in RL, though, you will find that people in SL are generally willing to talk with anyone who approaches politely and expresses a genuine interest in the place they are visiting.  You'll also find not only that many people speak enough English to carry on a conversation, but that Google Translate is also an immense help (well, less than "immense" for Japanese, Chinese, and Korean, but still helpful as long as you stick to short, unambiguous sentences ).  Don't hesitate.  Just dive in.

• Like 3

Depending on the sim, they may want you to fit into the culture via the way you dress, but if such is the case, you will normally be presented with such info at the landing point.  Ditto if they truly want you to try speaking only in a specific language.

• Like 3

Japan - Hibora is a help center for japanese speaking people. Help centers will welcome everybody as long as they don't misbehave so there's no need to worry about that.

It's probably not the best place to learn about Japanese culture but it should be a very good place to ask for directions and there's a good chance you'll find somebody who speaks English and is able to help you. If not, there's always Google Translate.

• Like 2

I have visited several Japanese places in SL, and it's a real (but pleasant!) culture shock to do so.  The main problem is talking to people.  I don't speak Japanese at all, and the available translators have a very tough time with Asian languages.  I have seen some very mangled English come from Japanese people using translators, and I am sure that the Japanese translations of my English are every bit as garbled.

Still, a little patience, humor and good will go a long way.  You'll be welcome.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, FluffyQuokka said:

I would like to go to one of the places on the Destinations tab called "Japan - Hibora" to learn more about Japanese language and culture. I'm a little paranoid, however, because my first language is English. Thank you

I often spend time in Japanese regions, German regions, and French regions. It's fun, educational, and people will welcome you being there.

Wear a translator HUD. Try to speak short and simple sentences. Use full stops.

I suggest: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Translator-All-google-languages-menu-version/7175140

Edited by Callum Meriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.