Inventory Folder Movements - A Deceptive Dance

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK. My title is a bit dra-ma-tic; guess I am in that kind of mood today.

NO INVENTORY LOSS HERE (that I know of anyway LOL) but wanted to give folks a heads up as this early morn (5-7am SLT) I was going through inventory and sorting and such -- something I do almost daily now. And so far I have found two folders "moved" to VERY odd places. These were both top level folders of my making (the accessories folder being there for MANY years) and moved to places I would NEVER had looked normally.  Home and Garden 2017 ended up way down inside a subfolder in a completely different area, and Accessories ended up far away under Chav and Max (my male body avatars). 

So in case some folders seem to be GONE today, a search for something you know is INSIDE those folders could turn them up. This isn't a new trick, but one that appears to be working today. I noticed that the database was also very slow today and sometimes a bit confused with clothing. Not sure if one thing has to do with another. 

inventory.PNG.44359c8f62abe72a52d49c45a7c9eab7.PNG

BTW I AM on the new and improved Firestorm which has the new inventory (trash) helpers in it :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

I've had some issues today with things taking their time rezzing in my inventory..

I was opening some of my Luxe Boxes and nothing showing up..So I'll probably have a ton of the same things in there when I log back in..hehehe

I'm on the latest Firestorm,unless they recently updated in the last couple of weeks.

Edited by Ceka Cianci

So I have news!    

A Linden contacted me inworld (how nice!) to tell me that I had 300 corrupted files and advised to turn in a ticket. I did that so whatever "is gone" (or unusable as I have seen that a few times) may come back. By now you all know this is old news for me, but I was very impressed that someone official took the time to see what was going on and let me know.  

Many kudos there.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Wow, that is encouraging to hear! Without their intervention I doubt you would have ever figured that out, much less been able to fix it.

Well I certainly couldn't have fixed it. I guess if the corrupted files were in the folders that went moving AND I tried to use something from there AND it "really wasn't there" (and as I said I have seen that before) then I would have figured out things went missing. But I just trust that I will keep getting things that I like better and try not to worry about what gets lost. 

I thought I lost my Firestorm Kitty Pearl the other day (yes, I have her UUID number on a notecard, I am not dumb) but she came back the next day. Now I have her follow me (she is living on LEA12 now even though I am not LOL - more room to roam) and that works well.  There are certainly things that I have that I would miss if they disappeared (and have) but I am a pretty minimalist gal in real life and happily that filters over. 

I have noted a lot of older textures (like art) that I "should" have and do not. I found some of them on my hard drive so can upload again.  That may or may not have had anything to do with folder movement; it was yesterday I went looking for them. 

Haven't heard back from support but honestly I am just happy that I no longer appear "crazy". 

Found another moved folder this morning -- likely there yesterday as I don't think I was looking through my "To Blog" folder Tuesday. 

Added info and photo to my case but putting it in here too for documentation. I can't believe I am the ONLY one this happens too LOL.  

596f81541e292_movedfolder.PNG.df8877e1a93ad0a1d0199f4ff8fd9936.PNG

Losing my BACKUPS 2015 folder would NOT be good. A test of one item showed that "IT" at least was rezzable from that Backup 2015 folder.  This is good. 

I think I got the same problem,  two folders moved to calling card folder last week, and yesterday i didn't find one of my subfolders but it apearedt when i taped the name of an object of that folder in searsh bar and today my backup folder was moved to landmark folder that's a bit strange

51 minutes ago, Nostoll said:

I think I got the same problem,  two folders moved to calling card folder last week, and yesterday i didn't find one of my subfolders but it apearedt when i taped the name of an object of that folder in searsh bar and today my backup folder was moved to landmark folder that's a bit strange

Well put in a ticket anyway. There is a section called "Inventory" and that is where I was told to put it. :D.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Wow, I like the new forum so much because Lindens actually read here! So can us mortals without premium file tickets too?

Not that I seen anything, have logged in three different avatars today. (crosses fingers)

Yes, I am not premium :D. 

I haven't heard anything back from support and I added more info to the mix a couple of days ago a mentioned above. 

But TODAY I had another folder pop up in an unusual place. It was in the primary first level list so NOT lost inside another folder and NOT their the other day when all this started -- or the day after when I found more. 

I am not going to keep adding info to my case if no one is listening but documenting here just in case someone wants to know in the future.

MEANWHILE THIS IS NOT FIXED!!!!  The skin appliers were under skin appliers under Body Parts. These are from November 2015 so not new at all. http://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2015/11/my-attic-snapshots.html

They have no business being in my primary level folders!  I have also found corrupted textures. Not sure if those were some of the "corrupted files". 

When I look at the date.  It says Wed, Jul 19 which may mean that they got replaced, but a NOTE FROM SUPPORT would be a good thing I am a thinking.

So keep watching your inventory folders. 

5974018d79ff5_inventory22nd.PNG.dec7ff60d309bc6026ed2dc07e57e0c6.PNG

skins.PNG.4814a5c8b244af5c0e796d67373656d3.PNG

One last comment here (unless some good news shows up in the future).

It has been a week and while "I" have added info to my support case, there has been NOTHING written from support. The ticket  is still open and I am not closing it but since I only found 5 items --s upposedly returned but without any notice of that, I am going to assume that I am 295 items down.  I found some old outfits yesterday that were minus the clothing so that could be some of the loss, or perhaps that was from another time. 

I DO very much appreciate the contact from part of the Lab crew, but  -- as in the past -- when things are gone, they seem to just be gone.  I at least have some vindication that they WERE LOST and I will be good with that.

:D

• 1 month later...

So after a very long quiet period I got yet another note today saying that someone had logged into my account and tested and my inventory was working "correctly" :D.   So  I needed to log in on the official viewer again, clear cache etc.  

THIS time I was smart and wrote down my item count. 

34, 721 before clearing cache

34,715 after 

Obviously nothing came BACK (LOL)

So ends this episode in the Inventory Trials (maybe I can make a new Mockingjay series) :D.

And yes, of course weird things are STILL happening. I guess ignoring is the best plan.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder why item links and especially saved outfits count against the total inventory items number.

Attach something to unpack it ... bang, your "Current Outfit" link list refreshes and your inventory number adjusts. Detach it ... refresh, re-count. ¬¬

There's probably some deeper meaning to this in the underlaying coding, but at least at first glance, it seems incredibly tendersome and inefficient to pester the inventory database with such temporary changes.

4 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Don't you just wish you could take an off-world backup.

There used to be a third party program called Second Inventory (later renamed to Stored Inventory) that let you do that. It was even listed in the Third Party Viewer Directory adn at least two alternative grids (Inworldz and Kitely) posted nice and helpful tutorials for their new users how to use it to rip and transfer SL inventories to other grids. It's amazing how long it too LL to catch on and block the thing but they did eventually.

7 hours ago, ChinRey said:

There used to be a third party program called Second Inventory (later renamed to Stored Inventory) that let you do that. It was even listed in the Third Party Viewer Directory adn at least two alternative grids (Inworldz and Kitely) posted nice and helpful tutorials for their new users how to use it to rip and transfer SL inventories to other grids. It's amazing how long it too LL to catch on and block the thing but they did eventually.

I wouldn't mind if it was encrypted and LL held the key.  It's just relying on their database that worries me.  I don't want to go to another grid.  My partner and friends are in SL.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

wouldn't mind if it was encrypted and LL held the key.  It's just relying on their database that worries me.  I don't want to go to another grid.  My partner and friends are in SL.

Moving to another grid most likely wouldn't solve the inventory issue. While you can get OARs in some Opensim grids and make your own backups, there are plenty of other issues with STUFF disappearing. If it is YOURS of course you can just upload again --- after finding the files in you possibly VERY deep Explorer directories :D.  Second Inventory was used as much (or more) to steal than for the greater good, so I am glad that is no longer an option. I never used it, just saw the "fruits" of its use on many grids. 

I do think it would be great if there was actually a legal and fair way to back up things -- and even as you say at a cost (that is possible on some grids). 

And for the record, I didn't loose those few items on clearing cache and relogging. I didn't do ANYTHING during that time (as instructed of course) including putting on or taking off clothes.  Just want to be clear on that. I have absolutely NO IDEA how those things disappeared.

Meanwhile I got the support note about not being able to recover more (more?) and that they do not offer restitution or compensation for reported inventory losses :D . Well I KNEW THAT of course.

:SwingingFriends:

Edited by Chic Aeon

9 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Meanwhile I got the support note about not being able to recover more (more?) and that they do not offer restitution or compensation for reported inventory losses

So the message is clear.  Make everything, don't buy anything.  Guess we all need to learn how to rig clothes after all. :/

• Like 1

On 9/16/2017 at 5:35 AM, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I sometimes wonder why item links and especially saved outfits count against the total inventory items number.

Attach something to unpack it ... bang, your "Current Outfit" link list refreshes and your inventory number adjusts. Detach it ... refresh, re-count. ¬¬

There's probably some deeper meaning to this in the underlaying coding, but at least at first glance, it seems incredibly tendersome and inefficient to pester the inventory database with such temporary changes.

My guess is that they are still using a traditional relational database (MySQL or such) and thus every link is actually a new record in the database.  At the time you attach something, SL has no way of knowing if you want to keep it attached for an extended period of time or not.  If you crashed right afterwards, when you relogged you would expect that you would have all of the same attachements, thus it has to become part of 'current outfit'.

• 8 months later...

I am resurrecting this almost year old post since I had a TON of top level folders "move" on their own -- down a level and into folders where one would never look.  

Backups 2015 (top level) ended up under my Accessories folder for example. Backups 2016 went into a subfolder called "Backups Older" which is PRE 2013. The seemingly missing folders were easy to spot since I have all the years listed together in order. When I noted two missing that were there yesterday -- alarms. 

I am finding MANY of these, all today it seems as we all know by now I am an inventory watcher.  I haven't noticed anything MISSING yet, just moved. So something seems to have gone astray -- at least for some of us. 

SO if you think you are missing folders (not a folder showing with no items issue -- that's another problem and not a database one) try doing a SEARCH of your inventory.  It is certainly possible that your folders are there -- just in a VERY odd place.  

My folders never disappeared and returned to my knowledge.  They just MOVED.

Hopefully this doesn't affect too many folks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.