SatinRibbon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Please help. I reset my password, failed to write it down. then asked to reset, I did not remember my security question answer. It asked me to fill in names of 3 friends from my list...but I did not know their full names...never thought to memorize all of them..if that is even possible. What can i do now? I submitted a ticket, and they sent auto reply with a case number....how long does it take for them to help me? I am locked out of my account and can't even keep trying to guess my password. Am I going to lose my account with that avatar? I am heavily invested there.??

I have been in SL for almost 4 years. Used the same password until recently. I thought someone may have seen my password, so i changed it and failed to write it down. Most of the folks on my friends list are guests at the club where I work...not personal or close friends. They asked me to fill in names for people that had long weird names and I just simply did not know them. I am a retired widow, and make mistakes in remembering things and this is a huge mess that has me in panic mode...how can I get this resolved? Will they actually contact me to try and fix the problem? And how long does it usually take? (I appreciate your response, even if it did not sound promising) thank you

Call them on the phone and see what they say..That's what my husband did when he had problems with his account..

His was a different situation..Still they were there and answered his concerns.

Sometimes it's just good to hear someone rather than wait for a response..

I did try to call, but the options on the phone that are there for password trouble...said they no longer offered support for password issues...that you needed to go to the support page and then the cycle of submitting a ticket number starts all over again...i can't get a real person on the phone...I have tried the support number and the main office. I am so afraid of losing my account and all the things I have purchased over the years, things I need for my job there..I am even locked out of my home because of a security orb that does not work to allow my alt in...all of my home things are in the main avatar..this one has nothing...no inventory, nothing. I don't know what to do. Do you know of a phone number that will get a live person on the line?

I was not asked to mention 3 friends...the system randomly chose 3 names from my list of 85-90 names, gave a partial snippet of those 3 names, and asked me to fill in the blanks...As a suggestion...i think it would be great if there was an option to have an actual friends list and a separate associates list...people you do business with, but need to have their names...it is crazy to expect me to remember some of the long weird names that people choose. Anyway...I need help.

4 minutes ago, SatinRibbon said:

I did try to call, but the options on the phone that are there for password trouble...said they no longer offered support for password issues...that you needed to go to the support page and then the cycle of submitting a ticket number starts all over again...i can't get a real person on the phone...I have tried the support number and the main office. I am so afraid of losing my account and all the things I have purchased over the years, things I need for my job there..I am even locked out of my home because of a security orb that does not work to allow my alt in...all of my home things are in the main avatar..this one has nothing...no inventory, nothing. I don't know what to do. Do you know of a phone number that will get a live person on the line?

I can't remember where he got the number that he called..But it was a few years back when he made his account..

What they are probably going to have to do is,do things more manually with you..they will probably want visual proof that lines up with information given when the account was created or with payment information..Something like that..

Maybe a picture of your ID or drivers license,things like that..

30 minutes ago, SatinRibbon said:

Will they actually contact me to try and fix the problem?

Yes, they will try. They want to keep their users after all.

7 minutes ago, SatinRibbon said:

great, I can do all that...but when will they contact me? How long? I am supposed to work tonight and tomorrow...the income is what pays my rent

Oh. That is a problem. I'm afraid you have to expect it to take a bit longer than that.

I'm a bit confused about one thing though. The first thing you do to recover a lost password is to have it sent to your email. You did remember that, even if you didn't mention it here, right?

Edited by ChinRey

They sent an email to me to recover the password and that took me to a page to enter in the info they asked for...i could not complete the 3 names they chose for me to fill in...I could only do two of the 3....the other name they chose was someone random in the list and I could not remember all the components of that name...that generated a case number/ticket number thing that was sent to my email and now my account is on hold and I cannot access it to even try further to see if the system will choose 3 names I can remember fully. Is there a number I can call to get an actual person? And you said I would have to wait "a bit longer than that"...can you tell me how long that might mean?

Yes,that page you have 3 options..

Answer your security question

name 3 friends

or tell the linden balance on that account..

I just went and did it to refresh my memory on what all was there..

The wait time is hard to say,since it depends on the load they are having to deal with at the time..It's best to start your ticket right away though ,if you haven't already..they should send an email pretty soon I would think..

• Like 1

the linden balance? I am not sure i know that exactly. I bought a few things last night...I have no way to access my account to know it exactly. I can only ballpark a guess...I hope they contact me soon. I am in full panic mode now. 

5 minutes ago, SatinRibbon said:

the linden balance? I am not sure i know that exactly. I bought a few things last night...I have no way to access my account to know it exactly. I can only ballpark a guess...I hope they contact me soon. I am in full panic mode now. 

As long as you have your ticket sent in to them,and can prove who you are to them.You should be fine..It's just a matter of time now..

I know it's a pain in the butt,but at the same time it's nice to know it works..

I started to keep a little notebook with all that kind of stuff in it ,since nowadays everything is pretty much requiring some sort of log in information..

Heck,you almost need it now to watch tv..hehehe

24 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Yes,that page you have 3 options..

Answer your security question

name 3 friends

or tell the linden balance on that account..

Hmm, I've no clue what my security question even is, nor do I see anything about it on my account page.

Depending on which 3 random friends they gave me, I could have trouble with that also

And I've got absolutley no clue what my L$ balance is at any given time.

Maybe I'd better go do a screen print of my Friends list and put that in a safe place - and be sure to update it now and then.  B|

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

Yes I hear you on that password stuff. Some sites you have to have more than one password for different parts...it is very confusing. I do have a little notebook, but got distracted by the doorbell, company that arrived unexpected, a repair man at my home and before I realized it, I forgot the information.

I so hope they contact me soon. Is there anyone here who has contacted for help this way, not speaking to a real person, how long did it take for a response?

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hmm, I've no clue what my security question even is, nor do I see anything about it on my account page.

Depending on which 3 random friends they gave me, I could have trouble with that also

And I've got absolutley no clue what my L$ balance is at any given time.

Maybe I'd better go do screen print of my Friends list and put that in a safe place - and be sure to update it now and then.  B|

I'm gonna run through it one more time to see..

ok back..Yea,they pick 3 randoms off your list.. luckily I picked a security answer that is impossible for me to forget ,or I could be in the same boat..

I have zero idea who those last names belong to..I understand why they pick randoms though..because anyone can know who your friends are and just pick three names themselves..

I really need to trim my list some more to the point that I know who is on it..

As far as my linden amount,I never pay attention to it that much either..When it gets down to like the 5k area I refill it..It's like gas,if it gets down to like half a tank or quarter,filler up..hehehehe

I couldn't remember an exact number to save my life..:$

28 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

As far as my linden amount,I never pay attention to it that much either..When it gets down to like the 5k area I refill it..It's like gas,if it gets down to like half a tank or quarter,filler up..hehehehe

I couldn't remember an exact number to save my life..:$

I just went through the process.  They don't ask for L$ balance but "Enter the last amount Linden Lab charged to your PayPal or credit card account. US$:", which I definitely could find out by checking paypal.  And I do know the answer to the security question, so the Friends part is a moot point - thank goodness.

My account is low in funds compared to that amount. This little job pays my rent and buys a few clothes...not much more. I can't afford to buy more Lindens on my fixed income...I barely get by. The little job has kept me afloat and allowed my SL to pay for itself. SL is my only recreation. I am a disability widow and my income does not go up. I can't afford other recreation and SL provides an avenue of fun for me. Like I said, I am in full panic mode right now.

2 hours ago, SatinRibbon said:

I did not remember my security question answer. It asked me to fill in names of 3 friends from my list...but I did not know their full names...

When I just did it, the third option for me was "Enter the last amount Linden Lab charged to your PayPal or credit card account. US$:" -- If that is the question you get, you should be able to check your credit card or paypal and get the correct answer.

Well...my record keeping is far more organized than my ability to keep track of passwords...I have found the statement that shows my last linden purchase...and wouldn't you know it...I did two in the same day...if they ask and I give the wrong one that will be even worse! will they ask for the total in one day of the purchases?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.