SO.. secondlife got rid of last names now what?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SO.. secondlife got rid of last names now what?

well.. in a fue years "no one will be able to create a new account bc all the names in history of man kind will be taken and used!" bc they got rid of last names! how do they expect new people to enter secondlife if all name in the book is taken "in a fue years from now"? you will start seeing players with names like Jhon1029 or 10291a2b3c4d ans stuff O_o and then you wil have to say good day 10291a2b3c4d or.. hello how are you today 1a2b3c4d1029384756qpwoeiruty? , 

1a2b3c4d1029384756qpwoeiruty says: Nuthing much, just wish they had last names bc it is now the year 2019 and i cant find a name! 

-------------

dont you agreee? :robottongue:

To overcome this problem LL added Displaynames. New avatars will have to choose a silly Loginname like Chriss123456, but they can choose a Displayname of their own choise. Displaynames don't need to be unique, so you will never fe forced to choose a silly Displayname. Newer viewers like Viewer 2 and Phoenix do support Displaynames.

The problem is that thousands of scripted devices still use the Legacename and will greet you as "Chriss123456 Resident".

Kind regards, Chriss

when making a avatar if you try to make a name that is allready taken the display name wil not help bc it still says "that name is allready taken" the display name is only a "display name" not a resedent name'' the resedent name is the name you create and it still exisit's even after you make a display name.. so if some dishbag makes a name called "LickMyPussy" bc they culd not name there char anny and then make there display name anny.. the reseent name will still be shown cousing lots of "teenagers" to lash out startiung a lot of stuff that or starting a lot of iliggle prostetuting lol to miner, my frainds allready seen a lot vary not decent names btw bc they said the name they wanted was allready taken! so 1 made a name called "IBeatKittens" 

a display name is only a display name, it dont mean it will change your real name BTW

(and the resedent name will still show" ppl will still call other ppl by there resedent names btw.. they allready do lol bc they can "see that it is only a display name" and not there real name

Hello Lonewolf,

Your remaks are right, i don't want to fight them. I just wanted to state that replacing the First- and Lastname by a single Username does not really make a gigantic difference. It would have been nice if underscores and dashes were allowed in a username, then you would have been able to create an "old-style" username.

When you create an account you have to choose a unique Username, and you will never be able to hide that name.This is as it should be, if you want to create an AR you need some method to uniquely identify the account that is abusing you. Just like the previous first- and lastname, the Username can not be changed after the account is created.

Since you are not able to hide your Username, you should choose a decent one, the choise is free, you can add numbers to make it unique. Choosing a name that possible will offend others is not advisable, i think you even could get banned if you appear with such a name in a PG region, baut again, it is your choise.

For the moment not everyone can see your choosen display name. Ppl using Viewer 1.23 and TPV's based on 1.23 will only see your user name. Also most scripted devices will use your Username, so it is good practice to choose a Username that is not too different from the display name you intend to use. The first problem is solved when everyone uses a newer viewer, the second problem will probably never be solved, the older devices will continue to exist in SL.

b.t.w.
I did not invent the display names and i am not fully happy with them either. I would have liked an option to protect my name against imposters.

Kind regards, Chriss

I agree.

I like being able to see an avatar's name and feel a sense of history with them.  Just a personal quirk of mine maybe.

Also, when creating new usernames, somehow, sometimes, the surname gave you ideas of what you might like to give yourself as a first name, ie the surnames of Market, Sideways, Fireguard, Seattle, to mention just a few, put people's imagination into overdrive and added a marvellous sense of fun.

My brother, for some reason, thought Mumfuzz was a cute surname and called himself Bellybutton as a first name - a name can sometimes reveal a little bit about someone's personality.

What should have been done is new resident creats a first and second name as other grids do,

I get people coming in my club that have used silly almost unreadable characters in thier display names, its getting to the point i can't be bothered to say hi to them!

Phoebe Avro

Lonewolf Lightworker wrote:

i only made these topic bc i foudn someone named "IBeatKittens" today.. he said all the normle names was taken 

God-kills-kitten.jpg

I now know the name for my next alt:

EveryTimeYouMasturbateAKittenDies, aka

MasturKittenKiller

Perrie Juran wrote:

Lonewolf Lightworker wrote:

i only made these topic bc i foudn someone named "IBeatKittens" today.. he said all the normle names was taken 

God-kills-kitten.jpg

I now know the name for my next alt:

EveryTimeYouMasturbateAKittenDies, aka

MasturKittenKiller

New alt...

Alonewiththecatthatstoobigtokillaaaargghhh

aka

Marigoldspare :smileyhappy:

alone with the cat 2.jpg

The registration process is so much easier now. The hardest part is, indeed, thinking up a first name that hasn't already been used.

• 2 months later...

well i dont know how it was before with naming and such so cant really coment on it as ive not been on SL long enough but in my view being a new player after the removal of lastnames snd correlating "Resident" to all after the change seems silly , as a paying player "I" should be allowed atleast to change that Resident title :) x

• 1 month later...

Gia2Black wrote:

My person can't Log In because they got rid of both names. So now I have to use a username, but I used the oringal name I gave my character, and nothings working! Her name was "Cutie Pie". Can you help?????

If you are trying to login somewhere that asks for first name and last name you need to use:

First name = Gia2Black

Last name = Resident

Peewee Musytari wrote:

Gia2Black wrote:

My person can't Log In because they got rid of both names. So now I have to use a username, but I used the oringal name I gave my character, and nothings working! Her name was "Cutie Pie". Can you help?????

If you are trying to login somewhere that asks for first name and last name you need to use:

First name = Gia2Black

Last name = Resident

or if you have to log in with only a single username box just put them both in the single box either seperated by a space or a .

Cutie Pie or cutie.pie

good luck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.