New Computer Cannot Use SL or Firestorm Issue

samiradelioncourt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I got a new/rebuilt computer from a friend and now cannot download SL Viewer nor Firestorm on my pc.
I keep getting the message that says.

I dont have the right video card drivers or that they did not install properly or are out of date for unsupported
hardware.

I have Windows 10, Can you help me to let me know what and how to do what is needed to get
back onto my SL Life?

Thank you,

4 answers to this question

First, you try downloading and reinstalling the graphics card drivers.  You hope that works.  If not, and if you have a graphics chip on your motherboard instead of having a dedicated graphics card, you check with Intel to be sure that it's even possible to upgrade the drivers.  Intel does not make OpenGL-compatible drivers for older HD2000 and HD3000 series chips. Read this thread for more details.

Lillith is right. Without information about your hardware, all we can do is guess.

Windows 10 does not support the older 2nd and 3rd generation CPU's with old HD Graphics. The SL Viewers need the newer support. See System Requirements.

You do NOT have to add a video card to get things working if the HD Graphics is your problem. That would be the best solution. However, you can update the CPU. eBay has i5-4000, and 5000 M CPU's for as low as US$45. The M is for mobile and will fit any motherboard that supports the 2000 and 3000 versions. The i5 and 7 versons 6000 and 7000 require a different socket. So, they won't work.

Changing CPU in a laptop is a major disassembly. So, if you aren't a total geek you may want to take it to a shop.

If you have a desktop, just add a video card as has been suggested. As people trade up, some really nice cards come up on eBay for great prices.

Never ever share any info of your hardware if you wish to receive support for it. Much more funny if the helpers have to do the guesswork 9_9

What's the matter now, since you didn't include any error message quote?
You cannot download a file? >>> Network, harddrive, firewall issues.
You're missing the graphics driver? >>> download the proper driver from the manufactor's website and follow their guides, both for setup as well as for removing any old drivers. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.