Comment in KB: only avalaible for some ranks.

Irene Muni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can any Linden explain why the comments in the KB are only avalaible for some "high" ranks"?

Perhaps the intelligence and wisdom to leave useful comments in KB is exclusive only in those ranges.

Perhaps a Member cannot see if a link is broken, perhaps a Resident (a FORUM Resident) cannot know interesting tips or adds.

Or maybe there's a hidden reason that I don't know.

PS. BTW, watch/vote against forum ranks: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-3705

Not sure I want to see the KB opened to spamming & you can't allow everyone to post there without that being one of the sideeffects.

I agree that rank has nothing to do with inteligence or wisdom & I would hope that anyone that sees a fault in there, has the intelligence or wisdom to find a way to bring it to someone`s attention even if they can`t post a comment. Each article says the name of the Linden responsible for it.

I tend to agree, Irene, that individuals, not ranks, have knowledge.  It was suggested at the last Community Tools User Group (CTUG) meeting that, if one finds an error or broken KB link to PM Rand Linden with the info/broken link.  It was acknowledged that the majority of residents posting here do not have access to modify the KB. 

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

If Rand really wants input on KB to come via PM it would be helpful to include that in the Community Help article about the KB.  Very few residents get their information by reading all of the usergroup transcripts and crawling through all of the forums.

Excellent suggestion Qwalyphi. You should PM that to Rand.

I apologize for being a smart azz. The reasons Peewee stated are excellent examples of why.

I suspect that LL knows when they will be making viewer or policy changes and to allow a large volume of users to contribute would lead to excessive out-dated information.

Rank should not be the only measure. I like skill testing questions as a method of determining eligibility. If a Resident wants to leave a "tip" about coding, they should be able to answer a few basic coding questions. I have a preference for quality over quantity.

Born on dates, piof, merchant status, Linden community Group membership, KB Group membership, I could think of some additional factors LL might consider to ensure quality contributions at the KB.   

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

I'm certain Rand will read it here.   This is Community Feedback.   It's not feedback to the residents.  His/Her IPAD ap has probably flashed an alert already.

BLAH! Not FAIR! That's cheating in a VERY techie way. ROFL!

the idea here is to not have 50k users posting comments to them about what they think is wrong, but to filter that through expertise and experience of a handful of knowledgeable users, who aren't like to be using it to try to get assistance, or complain about a policy, etc, etc....

I would assume that pretty much anyone of the ranks mentioned would go an post a fix request if anyone mentioned that a certain article had an error or needed xyz info in it.

that lets the community self organize into something that's not a frothing mob.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Perhaps Linden staffing levels can only deal with a very limited number of comments.  Only "high" ranks = few comments?

I will call bull on that one. Everyone who added comments to the old knowledge base talk pages say 'aye!'

*Three or four timid murmurs emanate from the back row, nearly drowned out by the din of the crickets.*

Now, everybody who added edits to revision controlled KB entries on the wiki, your turn 'aye'!

*Maybe there was a grumble or two, but those crickets are awfully loud.*

And finally, everyone who kept bothering with KB edits after they were left in limbo for months on end, 'aye'!

*Even the crickets go silent.*

Right now you have to have rank of "Advisor" or higher to comment on KB article.  I think the main concern was to avoid spam and perhaps irrelevant comments. I've discussed this with the team, and they are OK with lowering the bar to "Member" or higher.  I don't know how soon this change will happen, but I hope within the next couple of days.

It's true I did say to PM me with specific comments, but of course that is not a scalable solution.  The comment feature is there for this reason, so that is what we should use when possible.  But if anyone has a good comment that they cannot enter due to having too low of a rank, then go ahead and PM me.

BTW, with regard to broken links.  We know that there are a lot of broken links in the KB now.  This is laregely an artifact of the migration from the wiki.  We are working hard to correct them.  We appreciate any input we get, but to be honest, other more substantive input is more valuable.  It's not that we don't want to be told about broken links, but as Irene said, virtually anyone can find those.

Thanks,

Rand

Rand Linden wrote:

I've discussed this with the team, and they are OK with lowering the bar to "Member" or higher.  I don't know how soon this change will happen, but I hope within the next couple of days.

I think this is a GREAT idea. In fact, in the "old" KB I think anyone could comment in the "Discussion" page.

Thanks for answer, Rand.

Rand Linden wrote:

Right now you have to have rank of "Advisor" or higher to comment on KB article.  I think the main concern was to avoid spam and perhaps irrelevant comments. I've discussed this with the team, and they are OK with lowering the bar to "Member" or higher.  I don't know how soon this change will happen, but I hope within the next couple of days.

It's true I did say to PM me with specific comments, but of course that is not a scalable solution.  The comment feature is there for this reason, so that is what we should use when possible.  But if anyone has a good comment that they cannot enter due to having too low of a rank, then go ahead and PM me.

BTW, with regard to broken links.  We know that there are a lot of broken links in the KB now.  This is laregely an artifact of the migration from the wiki.  We are working hard to correct them.  We appreciate any input we get, but to be honest, other more substantive input is more valuable.  It's not that we don't want to be told about broken links, but as Irene said, virtually anyone can find those.

Thanks,

Rand

The change is done. Members may comment on KB artticles now.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.