Land holding

Subtle McMillan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

18 answers to this question

The sales price that you pay when you buy the land is between you and the seller.  It's a one-time cost.  If you think the land is too expensive, find somewhere else to buy. 

Once you buy property, you pay monthly rent to the region's owner (on a private region) or you pay land fees to Linden Lab.  Land fees are not negotiable, so if you are on the Mainland, you pay the same everywhere.  If you are on a private region, you can try to negotiate rent with the landowner, or you can move on.. 

002a584fdfe6830d4a94b44429b6c661.png

28 minutes ago, Subtle McMillan said:

Hey guys! I'd like to know if there's a way to pay less dollars for the land holdings. Currently, I'm paying 15 dollars and I guess that's a lot... plus the subscription. Any hints?

no there aren't hints i'm affraid ... if you hold a certain amount of m2 you pay a tier level (as you can see in Rolig's post) ... the only profit you can get out of it is to use a group, and have 10% more land available for the same tier level.

13 minutes ago, Subtle McMillan said:

Hmmmm....so maybe if I look for a 1/64 region I will pay less.... I presume! 

If you know absolutely nothing about buying, owning, or managing land, I suggest doing some studying in the Knowledge Base first.  And seriously consider taking Lindal Kidd's free class at Caledon Oxbridge University in world on Friday evening at 5 SLT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Subtle McMillan said:

Hey guys! I'd like to know if there's a way to pay less dollars for the land holdings. Currently, I'm paying 15 dollars and I guess that's a lot... plus the subscription. Any hints?

1 hour ago, Subtle McMillan said:

Hmmmm....so maybe if I look for a 1/64 region I will pay less.... I presume! 

Assuming that the $15 is to LL for land, that means mainland and paying for tier at the 2048 level.  It also means that you either actually own 2560 sqm or you've donated your free 512 tier to a group.  If you have not donated the 512 to a group, then you could find a plot anywhere from 512 sqm to 1536 sqm and pay less.  Basically (assuming you are using you 512 free tier and not donating it), whatever size land you want to buy, subtract 512 from the size and look the resulting size up in the tier chart to see what you will pay.

19 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

If you know absolutely nothing about buying, owning, or managing land, I suggest doing some studying in the Knowledge Base first.  And seriously consider taking Lindal Kidd's free class at Caledon Oxbridge University in world on Friday evening at 5 SLT.

New time!  Saturday, 1200, noon SLT!

• Like 2

Hi Subtle!

Yes, there are ways to pay less for land.  If you're paying $15 per month, it means that you currently own up to 2,048+512 = 2,560 sq m. on the Mainland (or up to 2,816 sq. m., if it is group owned and you are donating tier to the group.)

If you sell or abandon that land, you can then rent land on the Mainland from another Resident, or lease a parcel on a Private Estate.  These options don't require that you be a Premium member, which saves you that expense as well.  If you choose carefully, you can find a place that will charge you less than that $15 per month, or at least less than the $15 plus Premium dues.  The downside is that you will now be dealing with another Resident as your landlord, and if they go out of business, you could unexpectedly find yourself out on the street.  Also, you will most likely be paying in $L, and it won't be an automatic monthly charge, you will have to remember to log in and pay your rent!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

you will have to remember to log in and pay your rent!

I think this right here is one of the biggest reasons I stay with owning my own land and paying tier to LL. After some of the things I've seen and heard, I don't like the idea of paying for lots of rent in advance, but I've also had many times where I couldn't log in for a couple of weeks or more.

1 minute ago, Subtle McMillan said:

Logging in to pay the rent is a no-no... I know I'll forget all about it.

That one's easy to solve.  Just mark it on your calendar the same way that you mark other obligations, like paying the utility bill or remembering your wife's birthday.  There's always a way to remind yourself of things that you consider important.

49 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

but I've also had many times where I couldn't log in for a couple of weeks or more.

Now, that's a reason to worry.  Even if you remember to pay the bill, disaster can strike.  Your computer can die or you can end up in the hospital.  I've had both happen.  The only perverse consolation is that if you really can't get in world, you probably have more important things to worry about than paying rent in SL. :S 

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Now, that's a reason to worry.  Even if you remember to pay the bill, disaster can strike.  Your computer can die or you can end up in the hospital.  I've had both happen. 

Yeah, that is what I worry the most would happen.  Granted, the few times when I "couldn't" get inworld at least weekly were because of long vacations without the laptop.  If I really wanted to rent somewhere, on those few times when I knew I was going to be away for a short while, I could pay a bit in advance.

9 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The only perverse consolation is that if you really can't get in world, you probably have more important things to worry about than paying rent in SL. :S 

While this is true, I still wouldn't want to finally get back inworld and have to deal with all my stuff being returned and no Home.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While this is true, I still wouldn't want to finally get back inworld and have to deal with all my stuff being returned and no Home.

I agree.  The longer you live on a parcel and customize your home, the more annoying it could be to have to start over.  I would hate that.  At the same time, though, starting over is almost painless compared to moving in RL, and it's an excuse for making all the improvements that you might put off otherwise.  :D  (I know ... Pollyanna..... )

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I agree.  The longer you live on a parcel and customize your home, the more annoying it could be to have to start over.  I would hate that.  At the same time, though, starting over is almost painless compared to moving in RL, and it's an excuse for making all the improvements that you might put off otherwise.  :D  (I know ... Pollyanna..... )

After moving pretty much every 1-3 years until early adulthood, I definitely agree with that.  Though there was one time after moving in SL that I was so lazy I just rezzed a platform high in the sky and used it for all my needs without ever rezzing a house or doing any ground stuff at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.