New Rhiannon avatar needs to ride astride.

Myra Wildmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've sent a suggestion to LL about this issue, but I'm not sure how often they look at those.

In case you don't know the new Rhiannon avatar comes with a bento horse. So I was a bit excited and wanted to try it out. Someone at Linden Labs decided she should ride side saddle and not astride. *sigh

Now, maybe that would be a cute option to have, but she can only ride side saddle. I tried to add the male's horse AO, but it works only for male avatars.

It was once considered "vulgar" for a "proper" lady (Hope you sense the sarcasm...) to ride astride. I like to think we're beyond that now, especially at LL. So please give us the option, at least, of riding astride. 

Thank you.

I think the sidesaddle was done to keep it reasonably historically accurate, even though the avatar is a generic fantasy one. I understand your point, but I suspect that was why it was done. I agree, though, that it would have been nice to give the female avatar an astride option as well as the sidesaddle one.

I can ride astride with a trick. Get ready to ride with pants or shorts (because a long dress is stretched out so silly) . And before attaching the rider HUD, change to male shape and attach the male HUD and the horse. Then change back to your female avatar shape. You get 1 warning that you can only use this male HUD with the male shape, but that's all. My female avatar sits astride, and it is just that one warning. I tried to teleport to another sim while riding astride (didn't take off the horse or the HUD). I was still riding astride. I tested it by logging in an alt, and the alt saw the same, female rider astride the LL Bento horse...

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

haha clever, Marianne.

@skell, I think Rhiannon is suppose to be a fantasy figure, as you've suggested. The avatar is not at home on Downton Abbey. She's a fantasy character, and I can't think of a single female character in fantasy fiction who rides side saddle. Xena, Daenerys (Really, every woman in GoT from what I recall.), Legertha, Wonder Woman, Eowyn... There's probably someone, but women in fantasy (and in modern life) ride astride.

Maybe make a Downton Abbey type character (which I would love, too). That's fine. She* can ride side saddle. But I'd still want the option to ride astride.

Agreed, but the fact that they put her in a long skirt likely contributed to the reasoning behind sidesaddle. Long skirts in RL can be gathered up to ride astride, but mesh skirts in SL don't play nicely with wide-legged poses, and I suspect they tried it and thought it didn't look too good. If they'd given her something like breeches to wear instead, that would probably have worked better.

• Like 2

I just tried the new avatars and i love the horses! I also did Marianne's little trick on riding astride and it works! I could save the sidesaddle horse as an outfit but the other horse doesn't work when you try to put it on through the outfits folder. You have to do it manually. Now if only we can shoot arrows from horseback. 

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I just tried the new avatars and i love the horses! I also did Marianne's little trick on riding astride and it works! I could save the sidesaddle horse as an outfit but the other horse doesn't work when you try to put it on through the outfits folder. You have to do it manually. Now if only we can shoot arrows from horseback.

Why do I suddenly have this mental image of Nomadic Griefer Horse Archer Tribes taking to the steppes of the abandoned continents, galloping along the roads in masses before rezzing their mesh yurts at some rez enabled plot come darkness...

;) 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.