Avatar not rendering, showing as a cloud

PupKai

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My avater only shows up as a cloud. I did try all the steps here, http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail, with no luck. My avatar complexity is under 12,000, as I'm new to this and have no attachments. If I have a friend log in, they see me just fine. I've tried 3 computers on two internet connections, both wired and wireless, as well as the official sl viewer, Singularity and Firestorm, and every single time I log in, I'm a cloud. Yet everyone else sees me fine. Heck, my friend even logged in on two of my computers that have this issue, she showed up fine. 

8 answers to this question

You've done all the right things.  The problem is your Internet connection.  When you log in to SL, the Linden Lab servers have to send you a lot of background files, including the avatar details that allow your graphics card to render your avatar.  If the transmission is interrupted or if your files get corrupted along the way, the graphics card will not have what it needs to make you appear, so it goes to the default -- a fluffy cloud.  Believe it or not, this is a vast improvement over the days when avatar data was stored on your computer and then UPloaded to SL as you logged in.  In those days, if the files were corrupted, you might be able to see yourself, but nobody else could.

So, the first trick to try -- usually the only one you need -- is to improve your connection by rebooting both your router and your modem.  Just unplug them from the power for a few minutes, then replug and restart everything.  That should clear things up.  If it doesn't, we move on to plan B.

I have rebooted the modem and router. I've also lugged my two computers to another internet connection, same issue. Also, for an unrelated reason, I had to do a clean install of Firestorm, if it makes any difference.

2 minutes ago, PupKai said:

I have rebooted the modem and router. I've also lugged my two computers to another internet connection, same issue. Also, for an unrelated reason, I had to do a clean install of Firestorm, if it makes any difference.

It probably doesn't make a difference, no.

OK, on to Plan B.  I still strongly suspect an Internet issue, and I suspect that the two connections you have tried are with the same ISP, probably not very far apart.  Give them a call.  When I have had problems, it has often turned out that my ISP was doing something strange -- installing new equipment, repairing a junction box, cleaning up after a squirrel ...  It can't hurt to ask.  Consider also adding a link to a new DNS server to whatever they provided when you started service.  A lot of SL residents use the free Google DNS servers, because they are more stable and reliable than most. 

If even that doesn't work, Plan C is to read Nalates's blog carefully for more advanced hints.

Other ISP was att, mine is Suddenlink, but I called and checked, they're 'not aware of anything in the area'. I'll double check the dns settings and blog tho, thanks. Just makes little sense to me that it would only occur on one account, that's really the only variable that changed.

Hmmm.... For some reason, the final note in your first post didn't register until now...

48 minutes ago, PupKai said:

Heck, my friend even logged in on two of my computers that have this issue, she showed up fine. 

So, I'm probably wrong.  I didn't notice that another account was rendering fine on the same computer.  (And using the same viewer, probably). That looks more like it's your own avatar file that is corrupted, which is kind of weird.. Have you tried doing a Character Test  (Develop >> Avatar >>> Character Test >>> Female) to take your av back to factory specs? Try that, and then build your own av back again a piece at a time by adding a shape, skin, hair, etc.

24 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Have you tried doing a Character Test  (Develop >> Avatar >>> Character Test >>> Female) to take your av back to factory specs? Try that, and then build your own av back again a piece at a time by adding a shape, skin, hair, etc.

That seems to have done it. Thank you very much for the suggestions!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2017 at 10:28 AM, PupKai said:

Other ISP was att, mine is Suddenlink, but I called and checked, they're 'not aware of anything in the area'. I'll double check the dns settings and blog tho, thanks. Just makes little sense to me that it would only occur on one account, that's really the only variable that changed.

I wouldn't trust the ISP. The people answering the phone and those dealing with the actual service are WAY different people. How well they communicate colors the accuracy of their answers.

As Rolig suggested, work through my troubleshooting guide. If it is your ISP, you'll have the evidence, which will add to your credibility and they will have a specific to look into. If you have a problem, you'll have located it and target a fix.

On a weak connection, a flat inventory can cause problems. A flat inventory is when you have most of your stuff in a single folder or few folders. Inventory downloads folder by folder. If a folder takes too long to download, it may get cut off. In a worst case scenario, it may block login. A folder with >=5,000 items often becomes a problem. While there is no limit to the overall size of inventory, I try to keep folder contents well under 1,000 items per folder.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.