UV contraints to Rectangle

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone know of a nice, quick way of modeling a UV map to a rectangle or quadrangle shape. My uv looks like this:

I need to transform the two patterns on the right from their current shape into a rectangle-shape. Does anyone know of a tool that could help do this? I already tried the addon UV Squares and it makes a huge mess. I've isolated one of the shapes in a different uv map just to show the result:

Any other ideas are very welcome. The only other solution I know is to straighten out the UV by hand.

example 1.JPG

example 2.JPG

I'm not a Blender user, but UV tools that do such things automatically require clean topology. I doubt that you will have much luck with a topology like that. So retopo would be an option. Would make rigging easier as well.

Otherwise I would straighten out the borders of the islands, pin them, and unwrap again. And do some further refinements like minimize stretch.

I kinda thought what arton said early this morning but didn't want to sound negative. It looks like you used the decimate tool (I AM a Blender user) on some fairly heavy mesh. The "waistband" or whatever those long vertical pieces are definitely need less topology. They might be a ruffle?  From Marvelous Designer?  Just guessing.

Anyway, if you CAN (if this started in Marvelous Designer -- just a guess from the topology) then I would go back and get rid of some edgeloops rather than using the decimate function (again complete conjecture here; just going by post similar in the past). THEN you can straighten fairly easily by hand. I can see no way that you will be able to do what you want with the topology you have now.

Hopefully someone that is more into wearables will have some further insights for you. 

You could of course just leave the Iamguessingskirt as it and add the textures in your graphics program and do the matching up THERE OR use a non linear pattern that won't matter.

Good luck!!!! :D

This is ancient, you understand, but... sometimes the 'auto uv map tools in 3d applications can be less than helpful, here's a link to an old old old tutorial on uv mapping a clothing item, from ancient times by English Bob.

Don't try to follow all it's steps in blender, but do read it and get a handle on the principles, especially the idea that there may be better tools for uvmapping than what's included in your modeling app.

http://www.morphography.uk.vu/uvmapping.html

http://www.morphography.uk.vu/uvmod.html

Edited by Klytyna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.