Massive ping times on login

semalina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has anyone else been experiencing massive ping times of 200,000ms or more at login?

Just lately I've been logging in to see an orange cloud for 10 minutes or more, then suddenly the ping settles down and everything's fine. The inventory isn't fetched until the ping settles and there's no incoming chat or info on which friends are logged in. Also, I'm seeing this in my chat "[13:15] SL Grid Status error: Invalid message format. Try again later." instead of a status update.

Some sims stabilize faster than others, but I've had this problem for about a week now when logging in at home and in a few other places. Why should there be effectively no ping reply at all for 10 minutes? It only happens when I log in. After that, all's fine.

I don't think the problem is at my end. I don't know if the following is helpful, maybe I don't even know what I'm talking about, but I've run manual ping and tracert to my home sim where I log in and all the hops on my (UK) side of the Atlantic are fairly swift. Then there's a timeout on the hop across the Atlantic and I connect to LINDEN-RESE.bar1.Phoenix1.etc after about 150ms. The next two hops return timeouts before I finally arrive at my sim after a further 160ms. But the command line ping isn't anything like the ping I'm seeing on my viewer statistics bar.

The 'ping' value on the status bar cannot be compared to the times for a traceroute or ping command; it's an entirely different mechanism with quite different performance.  The viewer displays the times for application messages that are processed by the simulator; those other commands display times for network packets that are handled at a much lower level and so are normally significantly faster.

The login servers are separate from the simulators. To measure connectivity to login, the name to test is login.agni.lindenlab.com (which is really any one of many redundant servers).

With as little as there is in your post to go on, it's impossible to guess what your problem might be but we monitor the responsiveness of login servers very very closely and they are fine, so chances are that the problem is either something in your system or in the network between you and the server.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2017 at 9:55 PM, semalina said:

Also, I'm seeing this in my chat "[13:15] SL Grid Status error: Invalid message format. Try again later." instead of a status update.

This is unrelated to your ping problem.
That's a Firestorm bug, which should be fixed soon once the cert is renewed.  It's harmless.
If you go to Preferences -> Notifications -> World, untick "Query status secondlifegrid.net for the latest news at login" to stop that error message if it's annoying you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.