Is it possible to lower the complexity level of one piece of clothing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One person says her ring increases her complexity level by a lot. Other people say you can look fancy without having a high complexity level. Is it possible to lower the complexity level of one piece of clothing? I want to know how to lower the complexity levels of individual pieces clothing so that the items will look the same, but with a different complexity level.

In other words: as a consumer who buys clothing and accessories from creators, you can do next to nothing after your purchase. Even if the purchased item is mod-enabled, you do not have access to the base mesh and neither should you have access to the textures applied to a mesh, so there isn't any way for you to change the attributes of that item.
You can nicely ask a creator and politely request an update for lower rendering cost. Some may consider it, some may throw a tantrum.

Before your purchases, you can pay attention when demoing an item and avoid creators known for bad optimisation.

11 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

In other words: as a consumer who buys clothing and accessories from creators, you can do next to nothing after your purchase. Even if the purchased item is mod-enabled, you do not have access to the base mesh and neither should you have access to the textures applied to a mesh, so there isn't any way for you to change the attributes of that item.
You can nicely ask a creator and politely request an update for lower rendering cost. Some may consider it, some may throw a tantrum.

Before your purchases, you can pay attention when demoing an item and avoid creators known for bad optimisation.

If an item is mod... You can sometimes reduce its render complexity by modest amounts, depending on the settings on the texture tab...

Changing old 'system' shine (the pre advanced lighting model low/med/high shine) for specular based materials shine for example, or disabling any 'glow'. Glow is one of the worst 'render weight' multipliers. 

Sometimes even changing the texture alpha mode settings from 'alpha blend' to 'alpha mask' or  'none' can help, it's quite common to find 'solid' diffuse texture maps that have been uploaded with an all opaque 'alpha channel' so SL sets those by default when used to alpha blend, even though the alpha isn't used, and that burns render weight.

10 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Ok. Sometimes items don't have a demo.

10 hours ago, Klytyna said:

If an item is mod... You can sometimes reduce its render complexity by modest amounts, depending on the settings on the texture tab...

Changing old 'system' shine (the pre advanced lighting model low/med/high shine) for specular based materials shine for example, or disabling any 'glow'. Glow is one of the worst 'render weight' multipliers. 

Sometimes even changing the texture alpha mode settings from 'alpha blend' to 'alpha mask' or  'none' can help, it's quite common to find 'solid' diffuse texture maps that have been uploaded with an all opaque 'alpha channel' so SL sets those by default when used to alpha blend, even though the alpha isn't used, and that burns render weight.

I'm a newbie, so I can't even tell whether an item is a mod or not. I don't know anything about alpha mode settings.

21 minutes ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

I'm a newbie, so I can't even tell whether an item is a mod or not. I don't know anything about alpha mode settings.

Then perhaps you need to learn to CRAWL and then WALK before you demand lessons in Olympic Marathon Running...

Stick to trying demos and seeing what effect they have on your complexity score, for now.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ok. Sometimes items don't have a demo.

I'd strongly suggest to stay away from no demo offers in case of mesh clothing. 

Exceptions can be made if it is an older outfit with plain textures and perhaps some prim / sculpted attachments, which isn't uncommon for the kind of periodic costume style you seem to search for.

On 13.7.2017 at 10:49 PM, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

One person says her ring increases her complexity level by a lot. Other people say you can look fancy without having a high complexity level.

Those two statements don't exclude each other. You can look incredible fancy and wear lots of stuff...but stay below 100k complexity. If the mesh is ressource-friendly made and not covered in huge textures, thats totally possible. Many clothes arcieve that very well. But rings (along some other jewlery) are prone to be made without this issue in mind. Especially if the rings are a bit dated, its likely their creator didn't knew he made a mistake by generously using textures on every gem and every little detail.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I'd strongly suggest to stay away from no demo offers in case of mesh clothing. 

Exceptions can be made if it is an older outfit with plain textures and perhaps some prim / sculpted attachments, which isn't uncommon for the kind of periodic costume style you seem to search for.

Ok, and I'll try to find demos for clothes. If they don't have demos, then I would check their shops in world to find the demos because I know they could be hidden somewhere.

4 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Those two statements don't exclude each other. You can look incredible fancy and wear lots of stuff...but stay below 100k complexity. If the mesh is ressource-friendly made and not covered in huge textures, thats totally possible. Many clothes arcieve that very well. But rings (along some other jewlery) are prone to be made without this issue in mind. Especially if the rings are a bit dated, its likely their creator didn't knew he made a mistake by generously using textures on every gem and every little detail.

Ok.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.