Second Life Release 5.1.0.507006 (64bit)

Gabryel Nyoki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Such limits didn't used to be a restriction. We used to access much more memory than the 8 bit address bus could address. We swapped chunks of memory back then. Isn't that done any more?

That was used in the last millennium. A 32 bit windows has 32 bit adress space (that's 4GB) and a single application can get max. 2 GB - the rest stays under system control. There are some tricks to increase that to 3 GB - well, I know that for XP - don't know what a 32 bin Win10 can do - never used one.

A 64 bit system can give more to a 32 bit application - max 4 GB - since that is the hard limit.

In theory someone could write software that swaps in and out chunks of memory - like in the old times. But I have never seen that someone even considered that. With the availability of 64 bit systems that would make no sense.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 8:38 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

The LL 64bit currently has VRAM limited to 512 MB but as far as I'm aware LL are working on raising the VRAM limit.

Allowing a higher VRAM in the viewer safely is not as easy as you may think. It took Firestorm quite a while to get that feature working well.
The problem is you can't just allow any system to raise the VRAM limit or the viewer will be VERY unstable on unsuitable systems - out of memory crashes & poor performance when the texture memory is higher then the system can handle.
It really isn't just a case of raising the limit universally & hoping for the best.

Out of curiosity how did you get the linden 64bit viewer to run?

it hasn't run for me since its inception

this viewer right?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/5.1.0.507412

the 64bit firestorm viewer works though

1 minute ago, iceing Braveheart said:

Out of curiosity how did you get the linden 64bit viewer to run?

it hasn't run for me since its inception

this viewer right?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/5.1.0.507412

the 64bit firestorm viewer works though

Yes that's the latest version of the LL 64bit.

What happens when you try to run it?

When using the Firestorm 64bit build, in the top menu bar of the viewer, go to Help -> About Firestorm, click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste all your system information here.

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Yes that's the latest version of the LL 64bit.

What happens when you try to run it?

When using the Firestorm 64bit build, in the top menu bar of the viewer, go to Help -> About Firestorm, click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste all your system information here.

I don't have firestorm installed right now

My PC
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K (4 Cores), ~3.5GHz
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz DDR3 32GB (4 x 8GB)
Asus Maximus VI Hero
SAMSUNG 50" LED HDTV model UN50EH6000FXZC @ 1920x1080
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC P/N: 03G-P4-2783-KR
Connection HDMI to HDMI
Crucial M500 960GB SSD
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD @ 192000 Hz 24 bit
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC & AMP
LG BH14NS40 rom
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K350
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Logitech Dual Action Gamepad
Logitech C922 Pro Stream Webcam
Blue Yeti Pro Microphone @ 192000 Hz 24 bit
Panasonic Technics RP-DH1250
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W
Cooler Master HAF 932

Firestorm 5.0.7 (52912) Jun 13 2017 03:57:58 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3499.98 MHz)
Memory: 32707 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 14393)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 22.21.0013.8253
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 382.53

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1i zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.9.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.61
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1347-32)
LibVLC Version: 2.2.4
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1017 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 1024 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2017-8-12T17:6:41 
Built with MSVC version 1800
August 12 2017 09:18:14 SLT

Edited by iceing Braveheart

That's more then capable of running the LL 64bit viewer.

What happens when you run it?

get a spinner loading icon on mouse pointer for a second and no errors nothing never opens or runs also tried running as admin same thing

i made a video of install ect 

this is what i get when I try firestorm viewer made a video too

• Like 1

I get automatic viewer updates, so I just checked what I was using and it's not the 64 bit version. So I downloaded and installed the 64 bit version and it runs just fine. The release notes did say that it won't run with certain video cards, and that it will reinstall the 32 bit viewer if it finds that it can't run. I've no idea if that's anything to do with your problem though.

An oddity I did notice, though not related, is that the 32 bit viewer thought I was using Windows 8, but I've been on Windows 10 since it came out. The new viewer realises that it's Windows 10.

Edited by Phil Deakins

@iceing Braveheart

Thanks for the videos!
On the latest Alex Ivy viewer builds, the desktop shortcut doesn't launch the viewer directly, it launches SL_Launcher.exe.

If you open the viewer install folder, C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer is the default install path, & launch the viewer directly via SecondLifeViewer.exe, does that work?

If that does work, then I suspect either your antivirus software doesn't like the SL_Launcher.exe (which antivirus are you using?) or maybe there's a permissions problem that can be fixed by running the installer as admin - Right click the installer -> Run as administrator.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

You can find the logging for the SL_Launcher in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs.  The launcher log is called SL_Launcher.log. 
If you have file extensions hidden for known file types it will just be called SL_Launcher.
There may also be an older log named SL_Launcher.old.

Can you paste the SL_Launcher.log here if you're still having the problem.

@iceing Braveheart

Thanks for the videos!
On the latest Alex Ivy viewer builds, the desktop shortcut doesn't launch the viewer directly, it launches SL_Launcher.exe.

If you open the viewer install folder, C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer is the default install path, & launch the viewer directly via SecondLifeViewer.exe, does that work?

If that does work, then I suspect either your antivirus software doesn't like the SL_Launcher.exe (which antivirus are you using?) or maybe there's a permissions problem that can be fixed by running the installer as admin - Right click the installer -> Run as administrator.

I do not have or use anti virus

launching opening SecondLifeViewer.exe in C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer worked

Second Life Release 5.1.0.507412 (64bit)
Release Notes

You are at 240.4, 159.6, 1,439.9 in Forever Diamant located at sim10715.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.53.77:13015)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Forever Diamant/240/160/1440
(global coordinates 179,952.0, 327,584.0, 1,439.9)
Second Life Server 17.07.27.327933
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3499.99 MHz)
Memory: 32707 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 14393)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 22.21.0013.8253
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 382.53

Window size: 1920x1017
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 512m
Bandwidth: 500kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: 6 / 7
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: August 12 2017 11:54:41

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.9.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.800 / CEF: 3.3071.1634.g9cc59c8 / Chrome: 59
LibVLC Version: 2.2.4
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Packets Lost: 0/9,249 (0.0%)
August 12 2017 11:57:52

2017-08-12T18:53:54Z INFO: vmp_util.py(60) : getLogger: ================ Running SL_Launcher
2017-08-12T18:53:54Z INFO: SL_Launcher(205) : main: Viewer version 5.1.0.507412
2017-08-12T18:53:54Z INFO: SL_Launcher(140) : capture_vmp_args: Parsing passed arguments: ['--set', 'InstallLanguage', 'en']
2017-08-12T18:53:54Z WARNING: update_manager.py(203) : get_settings: Could not read settings file [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Roaming\\SecondLife'
2017-08-12T18:53:54Z WARNING: update_manager.py(662) : update_manager: Failed to load viewer settings (this may be normal) from C:\Users\iceki\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\settings.xml
2017-08-12T18:53:54Z INFO: vmp_util.py(88) : stream: ======== running subcommand ['wmic', 'path', 'Win32_VideoController', 'get', 'NAME']; any stderr follows
2017-08-12T18:53:54Z INFO: vmp_util.py(88) : stream: Unhandled exception:
<type 'exceptions.WindowsError'>
Python 2.7.13: C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\SL_Launcher.exe
Sat Aug 12 14:53:54 2017

A problem occurred in a Python script.  Here is the sequence of
function calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\SL_Launcher in <module>()

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\SL_Launcher in main()

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\update_manager.py in update_manager(cli_overrides={'channel': None, 'forceaddresssize': None, 'set': {'UpdaterMaximumBandwidth': None, 'UpdaterServiceCheckPeriod': None, 'UpdaterServiceSetting': None, 'UpdaterServiceURL': None, 'UpdaterWillingToTest': None}, 'settings': None})

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\update_manager.py in query_vvm(platform_key='win', settings={'ForceAddressSize': None}, UpdaterServiceURL=u'https://update.secondlife.com/update', UpdaterWillingToTest=None)

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\update_manager.py in getBitness(platform_key='win', settings={'ForceAddressSize': None})

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\subprocess.py in check_output(*popenargs=(['wmic', 'path', 'Win32_VideoController', 'get', 'NAME'],), **kwargs={'env': {'TMP': 'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'...sers\\Public', 'USERPROFILE': 'C:\\Users\\iceki'}, 'startupinfo': <subprocess.STARTUPINFO instance>, 'stderr': <open file u'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Roaming\\SecondLife\\logs\\SL_Launcher.log', mode 'a'>, 'stdin': -1})

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\subprocess.py in __init__(self=<subprocess.Popen object>, args=['wmic', 'path', 'Win32_VideoController', 'get', 'NAME'], bufsize=0, executable=None, stdin=-1, stdout=-1, stderr=<open file u'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Roaming\\SecondLife\\logs\\SL_Launcher.log', mode 'a'>, preexec_fn=None, close_fds=False, shell=False, cwd=None, env={'TMP': 'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'...sers\\Public', 'USERPROFILE': 'C:\\Users\\iceki'}, universal_newlines=False, startupinfo=<subprocess.STARTUPINFO instance>, creationflags=0)

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\subprocess.py in _execute_child(self=<subprocess.Popen object>, args='wmic path Win32_VideoController get NAME', executable=None, preexec_fn=None, close_fds=False, cwd=None, env={'TMP': 'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'...sers\\Public', 'USERPROFILE': 'C:\\Users\\iceki'}, universal_newlines=False, startupinfo=<subprocess.STARTUPINFO instance>, creationflags=0, shell=False, to_close=set([<_subprocess_handle object>, <_subprocess_handle object>]), p2cread=<_subprocess_handle object>, p2cwrite=<_subprocess_handle object>, c2pread=<_subprocess_handle object>, c2pwrite=<_subprocess_handle object>, errread=None, errwrite=<_subprocess_handle object>)

<type 'exceptions.WindowsError'>: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified
    __class__ = <type 'exceptions.WindowsError'>
    __delattr__ = <method-wrapper '__delattr__' of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __dict__ = {}
    __doc__ = 'MS-Windows OS system call failed.'
    __format__ = <built-in method __format__ of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __getattribute__ = <method-wrapper '__getattribute__' of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __getitem__ = <method-wrapper '__getitem__' of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __getslice__ = <method-wrapper '__getslice__' of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __hash__ = <method-wrapper '__hash__' of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __init__ = <method-wrapper '__init__' of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __new__ = <built-in method __new__ of type object>
    __reduce__ = <built-in method __reduce__ of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __reduce_ex__ = <built-in method __reduce_ex__ of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __repr__ = <method-wrapper '__repr__' of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __setattr__ = <method-wrapper '__setattr__' of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __setstate__ = <built-in method __setstate__ of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __sizeof__ = <built-in method __sizeof__ of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __str__ = <method-wrapper '__str__' of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __subclasshook__ = <built-in method __subclasshook__ of type object>
    __unicode__ = <built-in method __unicode__ of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    args = (2, 'The system cannot find the file specified')
    errno = 2
    filename = None
    message = ''
    strerror = 'The system cannot find the file specified'
    winerror = 2

The above is a description of an error in a Python program.  Here is
the original traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SL_Launcher", line 311, in <module>
  File "SL_Launcher", line 241, in main
  File "update_manager.py", line 735, in update_manager
  File "update_manager.py", line 358, in query_vvm
  File "update_manager.py", line 268, in getBitness
  File "subprocess.py", line 212, in check_output
  File "subprocess.py", line 390, in __init__
  File "subprocess.py", line 640, in _execute_child
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

2017-08-12T18:54:34Z INFO: vmp_util.py(60) : getLogger: ================ Running SL_Launcher
2017-08-12T18:54:34Z INFO: SL_Launcher(205) : main: Viewer version 5.1.0.507412
2017-08-12T18:54:34Z INFO: SL_Launcher(140) : capture_vmp_args: Parsing passed arguments: []
2017-08-12T18:54:34Z WARNING: update_manager.py(203) : get_settings: Could not read settings file [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Roaming\\SecondLife'
2017-08-12T18:54:34Z WARNING: update_manager.py(662) : update_manager: Failed to load viewer settings (this may be normal) from C:\Users\iceki\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\settings.xml
2017-08-12T18:54:34Z INFO: vmp_util.py(88) : stream: ======== running subcommand ['wmic', 'path', 'Win32_VideoController', 'get', 'NAME']; any stderr follows
2017-08-12T18:54:34Z INFO: vmp_util.py(88) : stream: Unhandled exception:
Sat Aug 12 14:54:34 2017

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\update_manager.py in update_manager(cli_overrides={'channel': None, 'forceaddresssize': None, 'set': {'UpdaterMaximumBandwidth': None, 'UpdaterServiceCheckPeriod': None, 'UpdaterServiceSetting': None, 'UpdaterServiceURL': None, 'UpdaterWillingToTest': None}, 'settings': None})

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\update_manager.py in query_vvm(platform_key='win', settings={'ForceAddressSize': None}, UpdaterServiceURL=u'https://update.secondlife.com/update', UpdaterWillingToTest=None)

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\update_manager.py in getBitness(platform_key='win', settings={'ForceAddressSize': None})

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\subprocess.py in check_output(*popenargs=(['wmic', 'path', 'Win32_VideoController', 'get', 'NAME'],), **kwargs={'env': {'TMP': 'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'...sers\\Public', 'USERPROFILE': 'C:\\Users\\iceki'}, 'startupinfo': <subprocess.STARTUPINFO instance>, 'stderr': <open file u'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Roaming\\SecondLife\\logs\\SL_Launcher.log', mode 'a'>, 'stdin': -1})

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\subprocess.py in __init__(self=<subprocess.Popen object>, args=['wmic', 'path', 'Win32_VideoController', 'get', 'NAME'], bufsize=0, executable=None, stdin=-1, stdout=-1, stderr=<open file u'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Roaming\\SecondLife\\logs\\SL_Launcher.log', mode 'a'>, preexec_fn=None, close_fds=False, shell=False, cwd=None, env={'TMP': 'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'...sers\\Public', 'USERPROFILE': 'C:\\Users\\iceki'}, universal_newlines=False, startupinfo=<subprocess.STARTUPINFO instance>, creationflags=0)

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\subprocess.py in _execute_child(self=<subprocess.Popen object>, args='wmic path Win32_VideoController get NAME', executable=None, preexec_fn=None, close_fds=False, cwd=None, env={'TMP': 'C:\\Users\\iceki\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'...sers\\Public', 'USERPROFILE': 'C:\\Users\\iceki'}, universal_newlines=False, startupinfo=<subprocess.STARTUPINFO instance>, creationflags=0, shell=False, to_close=set([<_subprocess_handle object>, <_subprocess_handle object>]), p2cread=<_subprocess_handle object>, p2cwrite=<_subprocess_handle object>, c2pread=<_subprocess_handle object>, c2pwrite=<_subprocess_handle object>, errread=None, errwrite=<_subprocess_handle object>)

<type 'exceptions.WindowsError'>: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified
    __dict__ = {}
    __getattribute__ = <method-wrapper '__getattribute__' of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __getslice__ = <method-wrapper '__getslice__' of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    __reduce_ex__ = <built-in method __reduce_ex__ of exceptions.WindowsError object>
    errno = 2
    filename = None
    message = ''
    winerror = 2

the original traceback:

2017-08-12T18:56:23Z INFO: vmp_util.py(60) : getLogger: ================ Running SL_Launcher
2017-08-12T18:56:23Z INFO: SL_Launcher(205) : main: Viewer version 5.1.0.507412
2017-08-12T18:56:23Z INFO: SL_Launcher(140) : capture_vmp_args: Parsing passed arguments: ['--set', 'InstallLanguage', 'en']
2017-08-12T18:56:23Z INFO: vmp_util.py(88) : stream: ======== running subcommand ['wmic', 'path', 'Win32_VideoController', 'get', 'NAME']; any stderr follows
2017-08-12T18:56:23Z INFO: vmp_util.py(88) : stream: Unhandled exception:
Sat Aug 12 14:56:23 2017

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\update_manager.py in query_vvm(platform_key='win', settings={'AFKTimeout': {'Comment': '\n                Time before automatically setti...        Valid values are: 0, 120, 300, 600, 1800\n', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': '0'}, 'AvatarNameTagMode': {'Comment': 'Select Avatar Name Tag Mode', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': '0'}, 'CurrentGrid': {'Comment': 'Currently Selected Grid', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'util.agni.lindenlab.com'}, 'EnableVoiceChat': {'Comment': 'Enable talking to other residents with a microphone', 'Type': 'Boolean', 'Value': 0}, 'FirstRunThisInstall': {'Comment': 'Specifies that you have not run the viewer since you performed a clean install', 'Type': 'Boolean', 'Value': False}, 'ForceAddressSize': None, 'HttpProxyType': {'Comment': 'Proxy type to use for HTTP operations', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'None'}, 'LastFeatureVersion': {'Comment': '[DO NOT MODIFY] Feature Table Version number for tracking rendering system changes', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': 33}, 'LastGPUString': {'Comment': '[DO NOT MODIFY] previous GPU id string for tracking hardware changes', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2'}, 'LastPrefTab': {'Comment': 'Last selected tab in preferences window', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': 3}, ...}, UpdaterServiceURL=u'https://update.secondlife.com/update', UpdaterWillingToTest=None)

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\update_manager.py in getBitness(platform_key='win', settings={'AFKTimeout': {'Comment': '\n                Time before automatically setti...        Valid values are: 0, 120, 300, 600, 1800\n', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': '0'}, 'AvatarNameTagMode': {'Comment': 'Select Avatar Name Tag Mode', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': '0'}, 'CurrentGrid': {'Comment': 'Currently Selected Grid', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'util.agni.lindenlab.com'}, 'EnableVoiceChat': {'Comment': 'Enable talking to other residents with a microphone', 'Type': 'Boolean', 'Value': 0}, 'FirstRunThisInstall': {'Comment': 'Specifies that you have not run the viewer since you performed a clean install', 'Type': 'Boolean', 'Value': False}, 'ForceAddressSize': None, 'HttpProxyType': {'Comment': 'Proxy type to use for HTTP operations', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'None'}, 'LastFeatureVersion': {'Comment': '[DO NOT MODIFY] Feature Table Version number for tracking rendering system changes', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': 33}, 'LastGPUString': {'Comment': '[DO NOT MODIFY] previous GPU id string for tracking hardware changes', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2'}, 'LastPrefTab': {'Comment': 'Last selected tab in preferences window', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': 3}, ...})

__dict__ = {}
    errno = 2
    filename = None
    message = ''
    winerror = 2

the original traceback:

2017-08-12T18:56:25Z INFO: vmp_util.py(60) : getLogger: ================ Running SL_Launcher
2017-08-12T18:56:25Z INFO: SL_Launcher(205) : main: Viewer version 5.1.0.507412
2017-08-12T18:56:25Z INFO: SL_Launcher(140) : capture_vmp_args: Parsing passed arguments: ['--set', 'InstallLanguage', 'en']
2017-08-12T18:56:25Z INFO: vmp_util.py(88) : stream: ======== running subcommand ['wmic', 'path', 'Win32_VideoController', 'get', 'NAME']; any stderr follows
2017-08-12T18:56:25Z INFO: vmp_util.py(88) : stream: Unhandled exception:
Sat Aug 12 14:56:25 2017

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\update_manager.py in query_vvm(platform_key='win', settings={'AFKTimeout': {'Comment': '\n                Time before automatically setti...        Valid values are: 0, 120, 300, 600, 1800\n', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': '0'}, 'AvatarNameTagMode': {'Comment': 'Select Avatar Name Tag Mode', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': '0'}, 'CurrentGrid': {'Comment': 'Currently Selected Grid', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'util.agni.lindenlab.com'}, 'EnableVoiceChat': {'Comment': 'Enable talking to other residents with a microphone', 'Type': 'Boolean', 'Value': 0}, 'FirstRunThisInstall': {'Comment': 'Specifies that you have not run the viewer since you performed a clean install', 'Type': 'Boolean', 'Value': False}, 'ForceAddressSize': None, 'HttpProxyType': {'Comment': 'Proxy type to use for HTTP operations', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'None'}, 'LastFeatureVersion': {'Comment': '[DO NOT MODIFY] Feature Table Version number for tracking rendering system changes', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': 33}, 'LastGPUString': {'Comment': '[DO NOT MODIFY] previous GPU id string for tracking hardware changes', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2'}, 'LastPrefTab': {'Comment': 'Last selected tab in preferences window', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': 3}, ...}, UpdaterServiceURL=u'https://update.secondlife.com/update', UpdaterWillingToTest=None)

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\update_manager.py in getBitness(platform_key='win', settings={'AFKTimeout': {'Comment': '\n                Time before automatically setti...        Valid values are: 0, 120, 300, 600, 1800\n', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': '0'}, 'AvatarNameTagMode': {'Comment': 'Select Avatar Name Tag Mode', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': '0'}, 'CurrentGrid': {'Comment': 'Currently Selected Grid', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'util.agni.lindenlab.com'}, 'EnableVoiceChat': {'Comment': 'Enable talking to other residents with a microphone', 'Type': 'Boolean', 'Value': 0}, 'FirstRunThisInstall': {'Comment': 'Specifies that you have not run the viewer since you performed a clean install', 'Type': 'Boolean', 'Value': False}, 'ForceAddressSize': None, 'HttpProxyType': {'Comment': 'Proxy type to use for HTTP operations', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'None'}, 'LastFeatureVersion': {'Comment': '[DO NOT MODIFY] Feature Table Version number for tracking rendering system changes', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': 33}, 'LastGPUString': {'Comment': '[DO NOT MODIFY] previous GPU id string for tracking hardware changes', 'Type': 'String', 'Value': 'NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2'}, 'LastPrefTab': {'Comment': 'Last selected tab in preferences window', 'Type': 'S32', 'Value': 3}, ...})

__dict__ = {}
    errno = 2
    filename = None
    message = ''
    winerror = 2

the original traceback:

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Thanks.

Hmm I have no idea why the SL_Launcher is failing on your system.
Did you try re-running the installer as Admin?

I think the best thing to do is to file a JIRA issue (https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa) & explain the problem & attach the SL_Launcher.log you pasted above.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-134129

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2017 at 8:18 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Thanks.

I tried sansar it also works and seems to be 64bit

https://www.sansar.com/download

the updated viewer here only changes the client exe to tell you not to run the exe

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/5.1.0.508209

what does SL_Launcher do? and why is SL_Launcher needed?

does firestorm have SL_Launcher?

does sansar have SL_Launcher?

does the 32bit second life viewer have SL_Launcher?

i really do not remember these SL_Launcher issues with the 32bit linden labs viewer in the past what changed?

will firestorm have a sansar viewer?

4 minutes ago, iceing Braveheart said:

the updated viewer here only changes the client exe to tell you not to run the exe

You should still be able to run the client exe & ignore the nag, though I didn't test that with the new update yet.

5 minutes ago, iceing Braveheart said:

what does SL_Launcher do? and why is SL_Launcher needed?

The SL_Launcher is new & is only used for the Alex Ivy RC viewers.
It checks for updates to the viewer & also checks which bitness of the viewer you should be using - for example if you have a 64bit system it will check that you have a graphics card that's able to run the 64bit version (certain older Intel cards won't work with the 64bit viewer) & then makes sure you are given the correct viewer version, either 32 or 64bit.

SL_Launcher is needed to check you are running the latest viewer version & that you are using the correct bitness for your system.
Bypassing the launcher by running the client exe directly will mean you will not receive automatic updates.

11 minutes ago, iceing Braveheart said:

does firestorm have SL_Launcher?

No.
Firestorm removed the SL_Launcher in the Alex Ivy merge.
It's possible we may use it in the future but I doubt it. Most of the Firestorm team feel that forced auto-updates are more trouble then they are worth.
We have a slower release cycle then LL so letting users choose when to manually update at a convenient time for them we feel is best.
This kind of launcher also makes it difficult for users to know how to roll back to a previous release if the latest release has a bug that for them is a serious hindrance.

15 minutes ago, iceing Braveheart said:

does sansar have SL_Launcher?

Sansar uses a similar launcher yes.
I bypass it & launch the client directly apart from when there is an update announced :D

15 minutes ago, iceing Braveheart said:

does the 32bit second life viewer have SL_Launcher?

No.  The launcher is new on the Alex Ivy RC viewers.
The default LL viewer is 32bit only & doesn't use the SL_Launcher.
The 32bit version of Alex Ivy uses the SL_Launcher though.

19 minutes ago, iceing Braveheart said:

i really do not remember these SL_Launcher issues with the 32bit linden labs viewer in the past what changed?

The current LL release viewer & beta viewer, apart from Alex Ivy do not use the SL_Launcher.
What changed?  With Alex Ivy, the LL viewer is now available in 32bit & 64bit versions, which complicates the matter of auto-updates & which bitness the user should be given - hence the new SL_Launcher.

23 minutes ago, iceing Braveheart said:

No,
No-one on the Firestorm team is particularly interested in Sansar at the moment, though that may change in the future.
The Sansar client code is not open source, which means there will be no third party viewers.
Ebbe has said that in the future there may be API's available that allow users to develop plugins to the client.
I doubt LL will ever fully open source the Sansar client software though, which means it holds little interest to most TPV developers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

No.  The launcher is new on the Alex Ivy RC viewers.
The default LL viewer is 32bit only & doesn't use the SL_Launcher.
The 32bit version of Alex Ivy uses the SL_Launcher though.

The current LL release viewer & beta viewer, apart from Alex Ivy do not use the SL_Launcher.
What changed?  With Alex Ivy, the LL viewer is now available in 32bit & 64bit versions, which complicates the matter of auto-updates & which bitness the user should be given - hence the new SL_Launcher.

did all releases of Alex Ivy have SL_Launcher? in the start when i couldn't get the 64 bit viewer to work I used the 32 bit viewer and it worked of Alex Ivy but I just tested the 32 bit Alex Ivy now and it no longer works

Release Notes

• If you use an HD 2000 or 3000 series video card on Windows 10, choose 32 bit

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/5.0.8.328879

Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 2000

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81502

Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 3000

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81500

people can now clearly see there hardware has 64 bit drivers and support

after 13 years of having 64 bit support linden labs is going to show up to the party late blacklist everyone and tell them they are not 64 bit and restrict them from accessing and using 64 bit even though they have clearly been 64 bit for more then a decade longer then second life linden labs has ever been

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

@iceing Braveheart - if you are still having problems with the SL_Launcher, you should answer Dan's question on https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-134129

I doubt there is a fix? at least with method or what they are using trying to do

Obsolete Platforms

This version is the last Second Life Release to support Windows XP or below and Mac OS X prior to 10.7.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

there really is no reason for a 32 bit viewer to exist if they are stone walling blacklisting banning boycotting windows xp as windows xp would do better then microsoft windows vista 7 8 10 ect upwards as after windows xp all microsoft operating systems are over bloated pigs on memory plus the 32 bit memory limitations and after microsoft windows xp, all versions of microsoft windows home editions are 64 bit unless consumers were scammed at point of sale

microsoft should of never made another 32 bit operating system after windows xp home but they did and they still do, the crutch for software like this ^_^

if your running a 64 bit operating system already chances are your graphics card already has 64 bit drivers for applications and gaming ect and the 64 bit operating system and software

64 bit is super old.. for consumers. it may be new for linden labs but for the rest of the world it was a very long time ago

April 25, 2005; 12 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition

June 23, 2003; 14 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life

has the software been hiding under a rock in research and development?

On 9/8/2017 at 3:43 PM, iceing Braveheart said:

did all releases of Alex Ivy have SL_Launcher? in the start when i couldn't get the 64 bit viewer to work I used the 32 bit viewer and it worked of Alex Ivy but I just tested the 32 bit Alex Ivy now and it no longer works

No.
The SL_Launcher was added to the Alex Ivy builds fairly recently.

On 9/8/2017 at 3:43 PM, iceing Braveheart said:

after 13 years of having 64 bit support linden labs is going to show up to the party late blacklist everyone and tell them they are not 64 bit and restrict them from accessing and using 64 bit even though they have clearly been 64 bit for more then a decade longer then second life linden labs has ever been

I'm not really sure what you mean.
If you are referring to the fact those windows 64bit systems running windows 10 that have certain older Intel graphics cards cannot run the 64bit viewer, then that isn't LL's fault.
Intel do not provide drivers compatible with Windows 10 for some older Intel cards - those cards will be forced to use the standard Windows graphics driver, which is not capable of running graphically intensive programs.

Intel provide a list of cards supported on Windows 10 here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html
You can see there is no Windows 10 support for any Intel HD 2000 & Intel HD 3000 cards & limited support for Intel HD cards.

You can also blame Microsoft for allowing such systems to update to Windows 10 when they have unsupported graphics cards.

Viewers that have had 64bit support for a while now, like Firestorm, have exactly the same problem with those unsupported Intel cards on systems running Windows 10.
There is no fix for it - no way to let those systems be able to run 64bit viewer versions unless Intel make drivers for those cards.
Other programs are affected by this too, not just Second Life viewers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iceing Braveheart said:

I doubt there is a fix? at least with method or what they are using trying to do

We'll never know if you don't work with LL on your JIRA issue  ;)

Yours is an interesting failure - but you can bet you won't be the only one suffering from this.
The wmic command that the SL_Launcher uses to detect your system details is failing to run on your system for some reason.
wmic is part of Windows & it should work - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742610.aspx

You should answer the question from Dan on https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-134129
If you don't work with LL to find the cause of this problem then no, it won't get fixed.

On 9/8/2017 at 4:58 PM, iceing Braveheart said:

there really is no reason for a 32 bit viewer to exist if they are stone walling blacklisting banning boycotting windows xp as windows xp would do better then microsoft windows vista 7 8 10 ect upwards as after windows xp all microsoft operating systems are over bloated pigs on memory plus the 32 bit memory limitations and after microsoft windows xp, all versions of microsoft windows home editions are 64 bit unless consumers were scammed at point of sale

Unfortunately there are still a lot of people using Windows 7 & Windows 10 32bit - too may yet to drop support for 32bit SL viewers.

There is no point in LL or TPV's still supporting Windiws XP when Microsoft have declared it EOL.  There is only a tiny fraction (0.4% if I remember right, but don't quote me on that) of users still using the older SL viewers that will still run on Windows XP.
It isn't a case of LL & the TPVs just deciding to deliberately break the newer viewers so they won't work on XP.  Updates & improvements to the viewer build process are not compatible with Windows XP & the viewer will not build with Windows XP support.
Technically that could be fixed but it's a lot of work & not worth it to support a tiny number of systems that Microsoft has also washed it's hands of.
There is nothing stopping any SL user from forking one of the viewers & banging on the code to get it working for Windows XP again but you won't find a TPV developer that is still using Windows XP, so there is no motivation for them to do so when so many other things have greater priority. 

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
Typo
  • Haha 1

On 9/8/2017 at 4:58 PM, iceing Braveheart said:

if your running a 64 bit operating system already chances are your graphics card already has 64 bit drivers for applications and gaming ect and the 64 bit operating system and software

Unfortunately not.
I answered that question for the older Intel cards above.

Microsoft will pretty much allow any ancient old system to update to Windows 10 & unfortunately many of those have graphics cards that the card manufacturer does not provide Win 10 compatible drivers & probably never will.
Those systems will function for basic tasks but any program that requires proper drivers, not the hobbled Windows default graphics driver will not run.

41 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

... certain older Intel graphics cards ...

... any Intel HD 2000 & Intel HD 3000 cards & limited support for Intel HD cards...

Please pardon me and rest assured that I usually adore your patience and the sheer volume of problem solutions you always have at hand.

But please don't call an integrated graphic chip as part of the CPU a graphic "card". Graphical unit alright, but nothing more than that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 10 months later...

I still scratch my head and wonder about the developers at LL  of their viewer  .  Most of my friends in SL  use Firestorm   .  I prefer Firestorm  because it allows you to use different UI's and for me the ui is more logical  and has more customization . One thing I do like about the LL viewer is it's graphics .  This 64 bit version is faster .

Obviously, I speak only for me when I answer to the entire thread in general:

• The official LL viewer is a good viewer. It's generally stable and lightweight and does its job well.
  • Firestorm ain't all that. The majority of its users, as I understand it, use it because someone told them to use it because it's "better than the LL viewer" - and I agree that it is. But with that said, my next point will be:
  • All users should switch to Catznip viewer because it has the best features that neither Firestorm or LL have and its as fast as LL and more stable that Firestorm. (There, see how that works, people? An opinion is just that and nothing more)

Meh, I've thrown-in my input, nothing more to say EXCEPT THIS: Just like every single word written in this entire forum since the beginning: this is my view and only my view and just like your view, my view is entirely unimportant to anyone else. LOL

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2017 at 9:37 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:
On 9/8/2017 at 9:10 AM, iceing Braveheart said:

No,
No-one on the Firestorm team is particularly interested in Sansar at the moment, though that may change in the future.
The Sansar client code is not open source, which means there will be no third party viewers.
Ebbe has said that in the future there may be API's available that allow users to develop plugins to the client.
I doubt LL will ever fully open source the Sansar client software though, which means it holds little interest to most TPV developers.

::laugh-emote::

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.