This topic is now closed to further replies.

CheriColette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ive just come from the 'Cats cause bdsm' thread after reading this!

"Hey all as fascinating as this topic is, I have the unfortunate job of being the buzz kill here and reminding you all that while we love the level of participation in discussions we are seeing from everyone that we really need to try and keep the topics to something involving Second Life. These are after all Second Life forums. That being said, I am going to close down this thread, feel free to boo me, I understand, but I still like you all!"

HERE

Whats up with that?

I thought the  'general discussion'  thread was one place we could talk about anything, not necessarily, only SL based topics. (bdsm is a very SL subject anyway and I have a Firestorm cat who is very sweet in a demanding way, not that I got to say that). 

Sometimes its a relief to chat with friends about 'other' things. 

I say BOO @Tommy Linden

• Like 3

It seems to me that if even a tenuous link to SL is established, the topic is ok with mods. Derails seem to be pretty well tolerated, too.

I don't miss non SL discussion here, really. There are plenty of other places to find that.

3 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

It seems to me that if even a tenuous link to SL is established, the topic is ok with mods.

Yes but that was hard this time. There are no cats in SL of course. And certainly no BDSM.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, CheriColette said:

Ive just come from the 'Cats cause bdsm' thread after reading this!

"Hey all as fascinating as this topic is, I have the unfortunate job of being the buzz kill here and reminding you all that while we love the level of participation in discussions we are seeing from everyone that we really need to try and keep the topics to something involving Second Life. These are after all Second Life forums. That being said, I am going to close down this thread, feel free to boo me, I understand, but I still like you all!"

HERE

Whats up with that?

I thought the  'general discussion'  thread was one place we could talk about anything, not necessarily, only SL based topics. (bdsm is a very SL subject anyway and I have a Firestorm cat who is very sweet in a demanding way, not that I got to say that). 

Sometimes its a relief to chat with friends about 'other' things. 

I say BOO @Tommy Linden

Thanks Cheri, I was sitting here thinking pretty much the same thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AmandaKeen said:

.....and DEFINITELY no BDSM cats :-)

The total absence of BDSM cats in SL is actually remarkable enough in itself and might have been enough to keep the discussion alive - if only somebody had thought of mentioning it. Too late now.

10 minutes ago, CheriColette said:

Ok Pam...but for me, the general discussions place is one I log into during the day, when I wanted something light to read. Apart from flickr, thats my only online social forum. 

Many internet forums have a special "off topic" section. Maybe we could get one here too if we asked veeeerrryyy nicely.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

The total absence of BDSM cats in SL is actually remarkable enough in itself and might have been enough to keep the discussion alive - if only somebody had thought of mentioning it. Too late now.

Many internet forums have a special "off topic" section. Maybe we could get one here too if we asked veeeerrryyy nicely.

That will satisfy me :)

• Like 1

Just to add the mandatory tenous link to SL.

I got a visit from the local animal protection center last summer. They told me a stray cat had just had a litter near my house and they had taken the whole family into custody except for one kitten they couldn't find. We searched the surroundings thoroughly with no result. But later that day while I was busy procrastinating, I heard a li'l kitten meowing so I called them and we did another thorough search and they placed cat traps all around my house. A week passed and no result even though I kept hearing meowing every now and then. It was only later I realized I had only heard it while I was logged on to SL and at my Linden Home.

• Like 6

I suppose my real vexation is just that no one likes having their hand spanked for doing something as benevolent as "talking to friends".  

Disciplining people for griefing, trolling, being hateful, spamming - all of those are germane.  Discipline for "talking about cats: when some of us probably have BEEN cats in SL....it seems rather narrow.  Oh well :-)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

There are no cats in SL of course. And certainly no BDSM.

except of course those giant cats, that make me think they are going to chain me up and violate me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AmandaKeen said:

Out of curiosity, where might I find those cats? :-)

I am not sure i know some people who have them, I think they are kinda scary so I never looked into it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CheriColette said:

Ok Pam...but for me, the general discussions place is one I log into during the day, when I wanted something light to read. Apart from flickr, thats my only online social forum. 

I understand, I would feel the same if this was my only forum. 

SL has such a huge impact on my life, I never stop seeing connections between it and RL, I never run out of interesting SL things to think about and discuss. It is endlessly fascinating, this international culture we have cultivated in this forum and inworld. This forum has a unique cultural identity primarily because it focuses on SL. So while I understand wanting more latitude, I also think there is something to be said for sharper focus. Always trade offs, right?

40 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

That's what GD has pretty much been until recently, not sure how long. Off topic discussion was explicitly permitted. And there was a lot of thread yanking and banning for a while. 

2 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

That's what GD has pretty much been until recently, not sure how long. Off topic discussion was explicitly permitted.

The forum description does say " Second Life discussions welcome here!" though, so I guess it is fair enough. I'm not at all convinced it was a good decision to stop that thread but it was certainly a justifiable one.

Just in case nobody else noticed I started a thread about this very topic down in Forum Feedback (AND got a 'like' from Whirly!). I asked for a return to the previous version of the GD, in which there was no SL restriction.

As with the cats/BDSM thread: though the article in question was totally based on RL observations, virtually every single post in that thread referenced Second Life; many referenced nothing but Second Life.

That of course makes purrfect* sense. The reason we're all ON this forum is because we are part of Second Life. Some active both Inworld and out, some more of one than the other, but all of us have Second Life in common; it is what brings us here and it is what lets us understand each other's language.

*Sorry. After my re-read I just could not resist the edit.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
temporary frivolity
  • Like 1

Okay enough with the serious discussion. ChinRey, I absolutely loved you pointing out SL's total lack of cats. And BDSM. As to where any 'putative' giant BDSM cats (nah, can't be) might be found—I think Amanda asked that question, for a friend—the Kzinti Hegenomy. Loaded with 'em, sources say.

I have yet to stumble across it in SL, but I would be very, very, surprised if it did not exist.

29 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Just in case nobody else noticed I started a thread about this very topic down in Forum Feedback (AND got a 'like' from Whirly!). I asked for a return to the previous version of the GD, in which there was no SL restriction.

YES...I missed that post Dillon.

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Whatever they decide, they should be consistent about it. No having to guess whether a topic is forbidden or not.

My only fear now is that other topics will be axed

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.