A Change in the New Forum I'd Missed

Dillon Levenque

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the previous incarnation of the SL Forum (I believe in the previous two, but I am only certain of the most recent) either the General Discussion section or one similarly named was for topics related to SL and Other Things.

That last bit is now not the case (as the description for General Discussion clearly states: I'd just not bothered to read it). I just found that out when a thread I'd been enjoying and participating in was locked by Tommy Linden. The thread, while including a great many posts dealing with things we'd done in SL, was in fact started about a topic not directly related to Second Life.

I has a sad. I just want to state the case that I would very much like to see that particular 'condition' revised for the General Discussion forum; that it once again allow topics of SL and of RL. Those almost inevitably intermingle in any case.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

In the previous incarnation of the SL Forum (I believe in the previous two, but I am only certain of the most recent) either the General Discussion section or one similarly named was for topics related to SL and Other Things.That last bit is now not the case (as the description for General Discussion clearly states: I'd just not bothered to read it)......

I have been posting here for a few years and thats always been the case Dillon, not only could we post off SL things in the GD area but it was encouraged. Questions about SL were sent to other places on the board and SL specific subjects had there own threads!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

....(as the description for General Discussion clearly states: I'd just not bothered to read it)....

I dont think its that clear. (I didnt check the new guideline either though). I read, 'Second Life discussions welcome here!' and the topic is 'General',  meaning most things, It doesnt stipulate SL subjects only. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, I think General Discussion should allow threads not directly related to SL.  Though I'd probably put a few restrictions on it since some topics (politics) always lead to arguments, flame wars, nastiness, etc...

This is an important consideration. I don't want to see this forum filled with the same nastiness I see elsewhere. 

• Like 5

I just posted this in the GD thread, but I'll copy it here as well:-

I suspect that the thread was locked more because of its content rather than that it not being SL-specific, and that it not being SL-specific was a sort of excuse for locking it, rather than the reason, even though the rules suggest that it should be SL-specific. It's just my suspicion though.

This sub-forum has been operating as a 'general discussion' forum rather than as a 'general SL discussion' forum, even though it's mostly SL-specific. There have always been non-SL threads in it, including since the new software arrived, and, risking the wrath of SuperTom, I suggest that we continue with it in the same way. Non-SL threads are just a very small percentage of the total, so they aren't exactly swamping SL-specific threads out. If we continue as we always have, and accept the odd lock if and when it happens, then I'm sure that all will be well.

I'll add that, because we now have some effective moderation - SuperTom and the crew - the flame wars of old that have been mentioned won't return.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.