Group IM: How do I make sure I'm out of it?

Nemorac Cyberschreiber

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So, someone I don't know selected me and a bunch of other people I don't know and started a giant group IM.  I blocked the person who started it and then closed the IM, but later when someone else said something new in the group IM, it popped up again.  How do I ensure that I don't get any more IMs from that giant group IM?

4 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Nemorac Cyberschreiber said:

So, someone I don't know selected me and a bunch of other people I don't know and started a giant group IM.  I blocked the person who started it and then closed the IM, but later when someone else said something new in the group IM, it popped up again.  How do I ensure that I don't get any more IMs from that giant group IM?

If you are a member of any group then you will get that group's chat by default any time anyone says something in the group chat.  Don't bother blocking individual people - it isn't their fault and it does not stop the group chat.  I don't use the regular SL viewer, so I don't know if you can turn group chat off.

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you are a member of any group then you will get that group's chat by default any time anyone says something in the group chat.  Don't bother blocking individual people - it isn't their fault and it does not stop the group chat.  I don't use the regular SL viewer, so I don't know if you can turn group chat off.

Like I said, it's not an actual group, it's just like, a bunch of people that was IMed at once.

Nemorac,

The technical term for that is a "conference call".  Group chat is a bit different...all the members of a group will receive group chat messages, they don't have to be individually selected. Also, you have to actually accept a conference call request to be joined to the conference.

The way to leave either a conference call or a regular group chat session is the same, though...close the window.  Having the conference call IM window re-open once you have left the conference is an odd behavior and not normal.  If it happens more than once, I'd file both a support case and a JIRA bug report.

8 hours ago, Nemorac Cyberschreiber said:

Like I said, it's not an actual group, it's just like, a bunch of people that was IMed at once.

Well, in truth, you didn't say it was not "an actual group" and you did refer to it as 'group IM' in both the title and the text a few times.  I don't know anyone from many of the store groups I belong to, and misunderstanding group chat is something that could easily happen if you are new.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.