Someone using JIRA for dubious ends

Jethro Baudin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Occassionally, I have needed to send crash or bug reports and someone at LL has been kind enough to help me resolve the issue. However, sometimes it seems there is someone who uses the JIRA for questionable purposes and I wonder if there are griefers and trolls pretending to be technical support. Today I received an email purporting to be from JIRA about an issue I had with voice in world. This character stated "manorities are not welcome in SL" and named three minorities and reffered to them in derogatory fashion. He also said these minorities were unwelcome to SL because they "cause trouble" and my account was being deleted. By the way, i have record of this person's name. I am shocked by this message and am wondering whether LL keeps track of what is going on with JIRA. It is unsettling to know griefers even go as far as abusing this feature.

12 answers to this question

The JIRA has been hit with a spammer over the last couple days.
The spammer has been leaving the obnoxious messages on thousands of JIRA issues.

LL are dealing with the problem & the spammer will not be able to comment on or change the status on JIRA issues anymore.

• Like 5

The JIRA is Linden Lab's QA tool, so everything that is entered in it is visible to everyone on its watch list.  Every edit and every change of status are recorded.  If you are being harassed by someone over something you posted in JIRA, submit an Abuse Report, including as much information as you have.  It's easy enough for LL to investigate.

I too had this sent to my permanent email address. I think its a phishing scheme as it came with a link to click on. Here is the information I recevied. It was very offensive. GRRR

nodiacritics (JIRA) <no-reply@secondlife.com>
To idahobeef@yahoo.com
Today at 5:54 AM
 [ https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-100131?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel ]
nodiacritics updated BUG-100131:
--------------------------------
NOTICE FROM LINDEN LABS:
LINDEN LABS HAS IDENTIFIED YOU AS ONE OF THE FOLLOWING MANORITIES:
*****(jew), sand *****(muslim), *****(african american)
BECAUSE OF OUR POLICIES WE HAVE DECIDED TO TERMINATE YOUR ACCOUNT
WE DO NOT WELCOME THESE MANORITIES ON SECOND LIFE AS THEY ARE KNOWN TO CAUSE PROBLEMS

> Blank Listing created in Manage Listings - VMM that cannot be deleted
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Key: BUG-100131
> URL: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-100131
> Project: 1. BUG Project
> Issue Type: Bug
> Security Level: Public
> Environment: SL Viewer 3, Firestorm
> Reporter: DaddyBootz
>
> h1. Steps to Reproduce
> Trying to delete blank listings.
> h1. Actual Behavior
> I cannot delete a blank listing on my Marketplace. I have tried to edit them and then delete them, no luck! I have tried this for MONTHS now, no luck. I now have over 200 of these listings that I see on my back side of the MP manager. Now I have to ask for help since I have tried for months with no luck on this issue. Help!
> h1. Expected Behavior
> I should be able to delete empty/blank listings.
> h1. Other information
> Please do not refer me to another thread, I have tried their work arounds, none work for me. Thanks!
--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

Nodiacritics is the offender alright. There is also someone calling himself or herself Neadigger1234 or Neadiggah1234. It is possible this latter name is a thinly disguised insult to some people as well. This second person sent the same message as Nodiacritics did, along with  a separate message saying "shut up (and repeated the offensive terms, along with another one. I am not sure whether they are one and the same person. Reminds me of how some griefers use alts, as if to pick on someone using a different name. It seems Nodiacritics is listed as a resident but not the other person. I reported both. If i met them face to face, they'd both be in police custody by now, or possibly in jail for a good long time.

Edited by Jethro Baudin
prefer not to include offensive terms, even as a quote.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.