Individual or Group Land. Which?

ivonne Arnold

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have owned regions and Islands in the past but never did anything with mainland.   It is so different.   I have read so many things and so many different views that I thought I would ask my own questions and see what happens.   I am a premium member WITHOUT a freebie house so I have a 512 bonus.   My boy friend is a premium Member WITH a freebie house.   We have recently bought to mainland parcels and we do not know if we should create a group or leave them in my name individually.  What do we do with our allowance of 512?  He is going to give up his freebie.  How do we apply our allowance if we decide that is the right thing to do?  IF we do a group we want it so only he and I are responsible for tier no matter what so how does that work?

Thank you kindly

Ivonne

5 answers to this question

Having the land owned by a group makes it easier to give both of you full permissions without giving others those permissions. To apply your allowance, after forming the group, you will deed the land to the group "with tier" and he will simply donate his tier to the group.  If you bought mulitiple parcels and they are next to each other, you can use the land tools to combine them into one parcel.

Side note - if you already bought multiple parcels and they are currently in your name, you will have to pay some tier for the first month.  If you put them in a group and you both donate tier and the parcel sizes total is <= 1126 sq m, then your two donations will cover it and you won't have to pay tier again unless you get more land.

Here's more info on this:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Land_Buying_FAQ

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/managing-your-parcel-r49

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ivonne Arnold said:

I have owned regions and Islands in the past but never did anything with mainland.   It is so different.   I have read so many things and so many different views that I thought I would ask my own questions and see what happens.   I am a premium member WITHOUT a freebie house so I have a 512 bonus.   My boy friend is a premium Member WITH a freebie house.   We have recently bought to mainland parcels and we do not know if we should create a group or leave them in my name individually.  What do we do with our allowance of 512?  He is going to give up his freebie.  How do we apply our allowance if we decide that is the right thing to do?  IF we do a group we want it so only he and I are responsible for tier no matter what so how does that work?

Thank you kindly

Ivonne

when you create a group, you and him can donate both the 512 sqm to the group.

so you can buy a part of mainland ( 2x 512 = 1024 + 10% group addition) and pay no extra tier except whats included in your premium already.

If you want larger land, you, or he, or both, have to add more tier to the group, and you can buy the extra donated tierlevel + 10% ...

Keep in mind, the extra donated tier level is for the one that donates it, you can not share unless you do that between you both. LL will not split one side donated tier in two.

• Like 1

Lil and Alwin have both given great answers.  My answer is the same, but I'll say it a different way...which might help any confusion, or might add to it!

As Premium members, you both have 512 sq m worth of tier that you can apply to Mainland parcel(s).  At present, your BF is using his for a free Linden Home, but if he abandons it, he can then apply it to any Mainland he, or a group he belongs to, might buy.

Here's my recommended procedure.

1. Find a parcel of land for sale that you both like.
  2. BF Abandons his Linden Home
  3. Create a group.  I recommend that only ONE of you be in the Owner role.  This is to avoid acrimony down the line, if the two of you should split up.  The other can be in an Officer role.  
  4. Invite your BF to the group.
  5. Both of you go to the group info window, and both of you donate 512 m2 of tier to the group, using the Land and $ tab of the group window.  Because groups get a 10% tier bonus, the group can now own up to (512+512) x 1.10 = 1126 sq m.  If the parcel you plan to buy is larger than that, one or both of you will have to donate additional tier to the group.  This will result in that person or persons being in a higher tier bracket, and paying a monthly land fee to LL.
  6. WHILE WEARING YOUR GROUP TAG, right click the land you want to buy, select About Land (NOT "Buy This Land!")  In the About Land window, select Buy For Group, and check the box, "Owner Makes Contribution with Deed."  If everything looks in order, click the Purchase button in the confirmation window that will appear.
  7. Deed the land to the group.

Now that you own the land, decide whether to have it show in Search (this costs a small weekly fee), and write a nice description.  Return any unwanted objects previous owners or visitors have left lying about.  Set the permissions in Options (my personal preference is public access, open scripts, open object entry, but create objects and edit terrain limited to group members.)  Set the Privacy option if you don't want others to see what you're doing.

Terraform the land and build or buy a nice house!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Purplerain Horowitz said:

I have to hop in here and ask a question. I already own a parcel, it is not deeded to a group.  Is the group bonus available if the land is already owned? Thanks in advance.

Not until / unless it gets deeded to a group, but if you deed it to the group then the group bonus will apply.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.