Everything about deleting your Second Life account

EmperorNapoleonBonaparte

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to know everything that happens when you delete your Second Life account. When you delete your account, is it possible to create a new avatar, using the same name as the deleted account? Do avatar names become reusable once you delete the account with that certain name?

Issue: Even though I am a newbie and joined a few days ago, I keep getting banned in places for no reason! I even got banned in places where you collect money! I thought it was normal and only available to all people whose accounts are a few days old until your account is too old. The I found out that people older than my account by years still use the same "collect Linden money" places! The places say they welcome everyone, but they don't welcome me! Now it's impossible for me to earn Linden money! I can't even earn Linden money anymore to buy an outfit I want! I've tried everything such as listening to their headmasters and filing a ticket, but they never lift the bans even though they say they want to give me chances.

When I want to check the status of a ticket, they say they would email me a link or something to the ticket. They never send me the link. This makes me think that the ticket things are a glitch and possibly fake.

Now back to the big question. The big question is:

Do avatar names become reusable once you delete the account with that certain name?

On 7/12/2017 at 12:36 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Nope.  Your account name and your UUID are permanent, one-user features.  You cannot change either one and nobody (including you) can ever create another account with the same name or UUID. 

Sorry if this is late, but I have a question. Once you delete your account, is it possible to recover that deleted account by logging into it? If not, what would it say?

37 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Sorry if this is late, but I have a question. Once you delete your account, is it possible to recover that deleted account by logging into it? If not, what would it say?

You can always try to file a support ticket and ask if a deleted account can be recovered. Most people don't delete an account. They just start a new one and let the old one be as is.

Just now, Jules Catlyn said:

You can always try to file a support ticket and ask if a deleted account can be recovered. Most people don't delete an account. They just start a new one and let the old one be as is.

How come most people don’t recover the deleted account? Isn’t it a waste to replace the deleted account by making a new one without recovering the old account?

24 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

How come most people don’t recover the deleted account? Isn’t it a waste to replace the deleted account by making a new one without recovering the old account?

I never said that. I said that most people do not DELETE an account. They just let it be. If you never delete it you won´t have to recover it later and big chances are things like inventory will be intact.

37 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

There is a cost. You need to pay the lab US$9.95 to recover a deleted account.

Additionally, depending on how long it was disabled, and the phase of the moon, some of the inventory might be missing.

This account I am using is a previously deleted account. I was lucky, nothing was lost.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jules Catlyn said:

I never said that. I said that most people do not DELETE an account. They just let it be. If you never delete it you won´t have to recover it later and big chances are things like inventory will be intact.

Ah, ok. Now I understand. Sorry!

22 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

There is a cost. You need to pay the lab US$9.95 to recover a deleted account.

Additionally, depending on how long it was disabled, and the phase of the moon, some of the inventory might be missing.

This account I am using is a previously deleted account. I was lucky, nothing was lost.

$10 is too much. Imagine what things you would've spent if you were to save that $10 for yourself instead of a deleted account? I would've used that to buy, perhaps, a nice antique from a yardsale or a thrift store.

Why would some of the items in the account's inventory might be missing while it was deleted? For how long does it really take for one item to disappear from a deleted account? How long was your account deleted?

Edited by EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte

5 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ah, ok. Now I understand. Sorry!

$10 is too much. Imagine what things you would've spent if you were to save that $10 for yourself instead of a deleted account? I would've used that to buy, perhaps, a nice antique from a yardsale or a thrift store.

..but if you restore your deleted account, you get all your beloved stuff back. That’s worth a lot more than $10.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

I recovered my main account, a very old account from 2003, many years ago. I never deleted the account, but it had gone dormant long enough that the account was closed by Linden Lab. The Lab doesn't close accounts for inactivity now. That practice stopped years ago. In my case, when I reactivated that account and paid the $10, all my inventory was lost. Did I care? No! What I wanted was my name and rez date. I'm actually really happy that I lost all that inventory. It was like a fresh start. And this time I vowed that her inventory would stay lean and mean, and it has. 

By the way, the Linden I spoke with directly to get my account back was very clear that the inventory was gone and did I want to pay the fee to recover the account anyway. I remember getting off the phone and dancing around my room because I got Debi back! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..but if you restore your deleted account, you get all your beloved stuff back. That’s worth a lot more than $10.

this is certainly not guaranteed.. you will most likely have inventory loss, or no inventory at all when the account been deactivated for long time.

Warning: Even if your account is restored, the associated inventory, land, and Linden dollar balance may be unrecoverable.

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000135218-inactive-or-canceled-accounts

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

this is certainly not guaranteed.. you will most likely have inventory loss, or no inventory at all when the account been deactivated for long time.

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000135218-inactive-or-canceled-accounts

I imagine the algorithm LL uses to decide which inventory to delete / purge is analogous to cats pushing items off desks.

• Haha 2

On 10/4/2018 at 4:55 AM, Blush Bravin said:

I recovered my main account, a very old account from 2003, many years ago. I never deleted the account, but it had gone dormant long enough that the account was closed by Linden Lab. The Lab doesn't close accounts for inactivity now. That practice stopped years ago. In my case, when I reactivated that account and paid the $10, all my inventory was lost. Did I care? No! What I wanted was my name and rez date. I'm actually really happy that I lost all that inventory. It was like a fresh start. And this time I vowed that her inventory would stay lean and mean, and it has. 

By the way, the Linden I spoke with directly to get my account back was very clear that the inventory was gone and did I want to pay the fee to recover the account anyway. I remember getting off the phone and dancing around my room because I got Debi back

Losing all your hard work from a deleted inventory sounds sad. I'm glad you got your account back. How long did it have to take, so an account would be closed by Linden Labs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.