How to unpack item that requires land?

WolfeDragone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

(i hope this is in the right category)

Hello! im pretty new to sl, just asking, how do i unpack this item? https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Okaie-Bark-Butt-Snow/8126364

it says i need access land to open, and thats what im confused about, do i need like any land? or do i need to own land to unpack it, i dont want to waste my L on something i cant wear, please help, thanks!

Screenshot_182.png

Edited by WolfeDragone

8 answers to this question

Greetings,

No you don't need to own a land :)

That means you'll need to be able to drop a box on the ground to open it and get what you bought. (to unpack)

There is a lot of places in SL where you'll can do that, easiest is to go in a Sandbox.

Search => Sandbox

(sometimes you can also temporarely wear the box, then right clic it, go to Content tab of the edit window, and you can drag and drop to your inventory)

• Like 2

As Marcov says, you don't need to own land just to open a box.  But you do need to find land where you have the ability to rez objects.  This ability is set by the land owner.  A lot of land in SL is set to allow only the owner, or a specific group, to rez things, to prevent strangers from littering the place.  But you can rez your box (that is, drag it from inventory and drop it on the ground), in any of the following places:

• Land you own
  • Land you rent
  • Land that belongs to one of your groups
  • Public sandboxes 
  • Any Linden-owned public land that has rezzing enabled (for example, a corner of each region in the Blake Sea is set to allow rezzing)
  • Changing rooms provided for public use by some newcomer areas and some stores (e.g., Caledon Oxbridge University, New Resident Island)
  • Any other land that is set to open rezzing.  You can tell if land will NOT let you rez; a small icon appears in your top menu bar that looks like a little cube inside the universal NO symbol.

Remember to Take your box back into your inventory, or Delete it, when you're finished unpacking!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:
  • Land that belongs to one of your groups

Clarification -- This one is 'groups where you have the permissions' - i.e. definitely groups you created and possibly others, but usually does not include most groups you belong to.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Clarification -- This one is 'groups where you have the permissions' - i.e. definitely groups you created and possibly others, but usually does not include most groups you belong to.

But it may, Sunset beach I know will allow group members to rez, they even encourage people to set their home there. There are also places that are primarily designed a for photography that allow group members to rez photo props, but group members can rez anything they want, I have unpacked items in such sims before. 

14 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

But it may, Sunset beach I know will allow group members to rez, they even encourage people to set their home there. There are also places that are primarily designed a for photography that allow group members to rez photo props, but group members can rez anything they want, I have unpacked items in such sims before. 

Yeah, I did say "possibly others" but it isn't normal for many groups - at least the groups associated with stores anyway.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, I did say "possibly others" but it isn't normal for many groups - at least the groups associated with stores anyway.

This is true, and I have often wondered why not? I mean I can't tell you how many times I had to leave a store to go home and rez some purchase. I guess they are worried about having packages strewn about. But if I want to wear a dress I just bought it is unlikely I will be back that day, where if I could put it on in the store and keep shopping they might make another sale.

7 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

This is true, and I have often wondered why not? I mean I can't tell you how many times I had to leave a store to go home and rez some purchase. I guess they are worried about having packages strewn about. But if I want to wear a dress I just bought it is unlikely I will be back that day, where if I could put it on in the store and keep shopping they might make another sale.

Some stores do have 'rez zones' for unpacking.  Though I have noticed that more common these days is to have the bag auto-unpack and it will do it whether you rez it or wear it.  That is a nice feature and solves that problem of 'want to wear the item right now' thing - especially when the item is a demo.

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have noticed that more common these days is to have the bag auto-unpack and it will do it whether you rez it or wear it.  That is a nice feature and solves that problem of 'want to wear the item right now' thing - especially when the item is a demo.

Unpacking a worn bag is in many ways a cleaner option than having to rez the bag or box on the ground to unpack it, and it exposes the store to less risk from griefers.  A store's rez zone may have a 5 minute autoreturn, but a griefer can cause serious disruptions with an autoreplicator in much less time. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.