Have you seen the new avatars? July 2017

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

They're getting a lot more frequent than they used to be. The ones before the current release came out in September 2016. Prior to that was November 2015, and before that we had the disastrous all-mesh starter avatars of May 2014 that left newbies completely confused how to customise them. Before that, the previous set were pre-mesh sculptie-accessorised ones from 2012.

I've seen the links. They look good. I knew there are some historical ones.

I mentioned Le Grenier du Château to you in another post, and that store is a typical example of someone creating purely because of their passion for that era. But for most creators in SL, this is a business, so they make what sells.

Then how do they get to create clothes and sell clothes? Do you have to download a special program? If so, what kind? Does it cost money? If so, how much does the program cost?

Edited by EmperorNapoleonBonaparte

There is an entire Content Creation sub-section to this forum. I suggest you start looking there if you want to begin creating clothing in SL. The vast majority of what sells these days is mesh clothing, and for that you will need to either pay to purchase or subscribe for access to a program like Maya (current annual subscription is approximately $2120), or download Blender, which is free. However, it's not as simple as "download Blender and make clothes", as you will see once you open Blender. This post is from 2012 but it contains some useful info and videos, if you want to go down that route.

If you don't want to spend many hours learning how to use a program like Blender, then you're best off utilising the basic creation tools that we all have access to: making new clothing items in your inventory and creating your own textures to put on them. You can use freeware programs such as Gimp to do that. Here are plenty of links to get you started. However, be aware that hardly anybody buys system clothing like this anymore.

Edited by Skell Dagger

There is an entire Content Creation sub-section to this forum. I suggest you start looking there if you want to begin creating clothing in SL. The vast majority of what sells these days is mesh clothing, and for that you will need to either pay to purchase or subscribe for access to a program like Maya (current annual subscription is approximately $2120), or download Blender, which is free. However, it's not as simple as "download Blender and make clothes", as you will see once you open Blender. This post is from 2012 but it contains some useful info and videos, if you want to go down that route.

If you don't want to spend many hours learning how to use a program like Blender, then you're best off utilising the basic creation tools that we all have access to: making new clothing items in your inventory and creating your own textures to put on them. You can use freeware programs such as Gimp to do that. Here are plenty of links to get you started. However, be aware that hardly anybody buys system clothing like this anymore.

Ok.

44 minutes ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ok, then they're realistic avatars. The problem is that not everyone would be able to see you because of the complexity points.

Wrong.

Complexity scores are nothing to do with being 'bento' or not, you can have a 'system' avatar in ancient flexi prim clothing and hair, with a complexity of over 500k, or a fitted bento compatible mesh, that comes in at less than 80k with mesh hair and clothes.

54 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Wrong.

Complexity scores are nothing to do with being 'bento' or not, you can have a 'system' avatar in ancient flexi prim clothing and hair, with a complexity of over 500k, or a fitted bento compatible mesh, that comes in at less than 80k with mesh hair and clothes.

Then still means it's the same thing.

20 minutes ago, TatianaNikolay said:

Bento has to do with movement. Like bento hands, bento wings, bento hair etc. Basically they've added more bones to the avi skeleton to support rigging and animation. 

Oh, now I understand. It means more complex and realistic animations. But doesn't it add to your avatar complexity? If not, then how?

6 hours ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

Oh, now I understand. It means more complex and realistic animations. But doesn't it add to your avatar complexity? If not, then how?

the complexity that is measured and displayed on the screen and has an impact on who can see you, has to do with how difficult it is for the computer to display the avatar, this is not directly related to how complex the avatar actually is. Since Bento "bones" are not visible I would assume they add nothing to work a computer has to do to make an avatar visible. I don't really understand how any of it works, but I do know that there are newer better ways of creating things that make the computers job easier, which allow a more complex appearance without increasing complexity. I have a ring, which was made a long time ago, that all by itself increases complexity by 400000. Now why a little ring that I wear on my finger is over twice as complex most of my entire outfits, I cannot tell you. The same thing is true for land impact for furniture items and such. You can find visually very complex items with a very low land impact, and visually very simple ones with a high impact.

38 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

the complexity that is measured and displayed on the screen and has an impact on who can see you, has to do with how difficult it is for the computer to display the avatar, this is not directly related to how complex the avatar actually is. Since Bento "bones" are not visible I would assume they add nothing to work a computer has to do to make an avatar visible. I don't really understand how any of it works, but I do know that there are newer better ways of creating things that make the computers job easier, which allow a more complex appearance without increasing complexity. I have a ring, which was made a long time ago, that all by itself increases complexity by 400000. Now why a little ring that I wear on my finger is over twice as complex most of my entire outfits, I cannot tell you. The same thing is true for land impact for furniture items and such. You can find visually very complex items with a very low land impact, and visually very simple ones with a high impact.

Oh, so does that mean that complexity levels only measure how elaborate your avatar looks like? Does the complexity level mean that some pieces of clothing require more graphics than others?

3 minutes ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

Oh, so does that mean that complexity levels only measure how elaborate your avatar looks like? Does the complexity level mean that some pieces of clothing require more graphics than others?

It is not really a measure of how elaborate you look because if things are made well, you will look very elaborate and have a low CI.

Yes, the complexity means that some clothing (and jewelry, shoes, hair, furniture, houses, etc...)  requires much more graphics work.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is not really a measure of how elaborate you look because if things are made well, you will look very elaborate and have a low CI.

Yes, the complexity means that some clothing (and jewelry, shoes, hair, furniture, houses, etc...)  requires much more graphics work.

Ok, then how do you get a low complexity level?

1 minute ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ok, then how do you get a low complexity level?

Wear skin, hair, shoes, clothes, avatar parts, accessories, etc... that have low CI values.  Granted most of those things don't tell you what the CI is, mostly because it is somewhat dependent on your own computer, but demos will give you an idea.

24 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wear skin, hair, shoes, clothes, avatar parts, accessories, etc... that have low CI values.  Granted most of those things don't tell you what the CI is, mostly because it is somewhat dependent on your own computer, but demos will give you an idea.

Ok, I'm a newbie. How can I tell if they have low CI values without having to actually wear them? When I want to know my complexity level, I often have to remove a piece of clothing or add a piece of clothing for that window with the new measurements to pop up. Is it possible to tell what their CI levels are by only viewing them in the marketplace without actually having to buy them and wearing them? And what if the clothes don't have a demo?

There is one that doesn't have a demo, but I really want to know everything about it. I also want to know if this is actually really copyable and that you are able to modify it. Since I don't have the money to buy it and try it on, I can't really tell. Some people say they can't modify their clothes even though it says they're modifiable. I learned how to modify clothes, but I want to weigh the reality of this outfit before buying it and wasting money on something that you can't modify and copy.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/copymod-MG-Monsieur-Bonaparte-Captain-royal-elegant-cape/2855161

You can see your own CI above you head if you want, rather than the short popup message:  Advanced menu / Performance Tools / Show avatar complexity information.  If you don't have an Advanced menu: Me / Preferences / Advanced - check 'Show Advanced Menu' (there is a shortcut for that, but it isn't coming to mind right now).

As to clothing, you can't tell without wearing it or rezzing it inworld if it is something that can be rezzed.  Easier to wear it and see how much your CI value changes.  If there is no demo, then you just take a chance.  With the older non-mesh clothing, usually the primmier it is, especially flexi prims with alpha parts, the CI jumps up quit a bit.

In looking at that outfit, I have no way to judge the CI - I'm not good enough at understanding it.  However, it very likely will be modifiable - be sure to copy anything before you change it.

22 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You can see your own CI above you head if you want, rather than the short popup message:  Advanced menu / Performance Tools / Show avatar complexity information.  If you don't have an Advanced menu: Me / Preferences / Advanced - check 'Show Advanced Menu' (there is a shortcut for that, but it isn't coming to mind right now).

As to clothing, you can't tell without wearing it or rezzing it inworld if it is something that can be rezzed.  Easier to wear it and see how much your CI value changes.  If there is no demo, then you just take a chance.  With the older non-mesh clothing, usually the primmier it is, especially flexi prims with alpha parts, the CI jumps up quit a bit.

In looking at that outfit, I have no way to judge the CI - I'm not good enough at understanding it.  However, it very likely will be modifiable - be sure to copy anything before you change it.

Ok, very useful. Then I guess I'll still buy the outfit anyways once I collect enough Linden money.

I mentioned the new avis to some aquaintances last night at a hangout, non of them had heard about it, so a couple started trying them on, or trying to.

Apparently, you cannot wear the new avis directly from the library in the inventory window, nor copy them to your inventory, or rez them in world. It was assumed this was a lag induced glitch but...

I checked the permissions on the items in the Library (Alexandria Linden's inventory) and found something rather odd.

The old mesh avis in there, permissions are 'owner' (Alexandria Linden) full perm, anyone can copy yes, share yes, next owner permissions copy only.

The new stuff is set to copy only no mod no trans, for Alexandria, so the Linden clan member who's inventory serves as the Common Library, cannot transfer the new avis to other residents, and they are not allowed to copy the items from Alexandria.

So a 'big launch' of new avis, most residents don't know about, and a mistake that means they cannot access these from the Library.

Well Done LL. They do look a lot better than the old ones though, the wings were well regarded by the gathering.

On 8.7.2017 at 5:16 PM, Zsigmond Alcott said:

LL doesn't release new avis that often , I am trying to think of the last time they did before these. Had to be at least a couple years,.. right?

No it was only a year ago.

On 8.7.2017 at 1:04 AM, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

Will they do 18th century next time?

Oh, I hope not! All good builders have their own style and usually do their best work when they stay within their comfort zone. The Linden Lab builders excel at the "Hobbit meets Mario Bros in technicolor" and the straight lined "1980s American Suburb" styles (and also the "Halloween Scary" style that is kind'a like a crossover between the two). It can be quite ... interesting ... when they try to do "scifi" (always ending up with a distinctive Jetson flavor) and sometimes even when they glue some gears on it and call it steampunk. But superimposing any of their basic styles onto baroque or rococo - I think that's pushing it too far.

Edited by ChinRey
Typo

7 hours ago, Klytyna said:

I mentioned the new avis to some aquaintances last night at a hangout, non of them had heard about it, so a couple started trying them on, or trying to.

Apparently, you cannot wear the new avis directly from the library in the inventory window, nor copy them to your inventory, or rez them in world. It was assumed this was a lag induced glitch but...

I checked the permissions on the items in the Library (Alexandria Linden's inventory) and found something rather odd.

The old mesh avis in there, permissions are 'owner' (Alexandria Linden) full perm, anyone can copy yes, share yes, next owner permissions copy only.

The new stuff is set to copy only no mod no trans, for Alexandria, so the Linden clan member who's inventory serves as the Common Library, cannot transfer the new avis to other residents, and they are not allowed to copy the items from Alexandria.

So a 'big launch' of new avis, most residents don't know about, and a mistake that means they cannot access these from the Library.

Well Done LL. They do look a lot better than the old ones though, the wings were well regarded by the gathering.

You can drag the outfit folder from the Library onto your avatar, which will replace your outfit & also copy the outfit into the system clothing folder. This will work on any viewer.
If you are using the LL viewer, you should now be able to right click on a Library outfit & wear it directly - LL recently fixed this problem.
This will not work on Firestorm until the next release however - bug report FIRE-21273 - "MAINT-389 No way to wear an outfit from Library besides drag-n-drop" doesn't work on Firestorm

The permission oddity is filed here: BUG-40686 - New default avatars from Library do not have the "Anyone can copy" flag set, resulting in strange behaviour of Library.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.