How to Mute all HG?

Emery94

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am receiving spam from a tool named HippoGroups.

The client shows me a name of an object sending the spam and the owner, but muting the owner i am still receiving the spam.

It is not possible to mute it muting the owner, i tried too muting the creator and the owner of hippogroups. 

I want to mute ALL hippo groups to avoid receive spam from ever from that tool.

But how?

8 answers to this question

Woops, that may be a bit tricky but there are a few things you cant try.

Hippo Groups was an alternative group system created by HippoTech to get around the max number of groups we're allowed to have. It seemed like a good idea once and was quite popular for a while. Unfortunately, nobody seems to maintain HippoTech these days so there's nobody to contact to fix any problems.

But you must have subscribed to some Hippo Group at some time or you wouldn't be in their system at all. If you can manage to figure out where and when that happened, you should be able to use the group joiner to leave the group.

If you can't gifure it out, try an abuse report - that's all I can think of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

Not sure, very long time ago.
Did hippo not have in the mainstore a sign thst you can click to remove yourself from the list ?
I think i did that in the past. So just check the mainstore.

mabye there's the solution.

That's exactly what ChinRey was suggesting and it's the only solution. As Alwin says, submitting an Abuse Report won't solve anything because the OP is not receiving spam.  There's no way that automated messages from a group that he chose to join can be viewed as a TOS violation.  The only way to leave one of those Subscribe-O-Matic groups is to go back to the terminal that you clicked to join, and then click the Leave Group option.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

simple...dont click subscriber groups..

if i'm not wrong right clicking the message sender in chat shows owner, object and location.. also you can block the object that sends it.

But i never subscribed to a group. Perhaps i was detected by a radar, or perhaps clicking to receive a gift in any site, but consciously i do not subscribed to any of those groups. Only to Standards linden groups.

I muted the owner of object ago a month, but i still receiving messages. 

17 minutes ago, Emery94 said:

But i never subscribed to a group.

I suspect that you didn't know you were subscribing at the time.  Those Subscribe-o-Matic systems can look like information kiosks sometimes, so it's not clear that you are essentially adding yourself to a lifetime mailing list.  They don't count as "groups" in your official tally of SL groups, so you are not probably aware that you joined anything (or, if you were at the time, it's easy to forget 6 months later).

• Like 1

Hello!

I assume you are being spammed by a specific person trying to sell you land? This is a known issue going around on SL and LL is still investigating it(It's a big subject, ban the person spamming and make it so everyone's land goes poof, or mega slap them so they do not do it again, etc)

Good news is there is a simple way to unsubscribe from this and block yourself from being added to future groups!

1. Teleport to http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Dosojin/235/182/31
  2. Face north(turning around in a 180* angle should do this)
  3. Click the "HippoGroups" sign
  4. Once it gives you a password, go to http://www.hippo-tech-sl.com/myhippogroups/
  5. From the navigation under your name, click "Block List"
  6. Click the "Block anybody from adding me to a hippoGROUP" button on the bottom.
  7. Rejoice!

Hope this helps!

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.