Hair Fair 2017

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just went through the Hair Fair today and hit every single store. I bought at least one demo from each. Then I went home and tried out every single demo, saving those I liked, tossing the ones I didn't, and saving the landmarks. At the end of the adventure, I had purchased one new hairdo.

My question is... have you been there? How do you go about shopping at the hair fair? What do you like in a hair store at the fair? What don't you like? 

32 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I just went through the Hair Fair today and hit every single store. I bought at least one demo from each. Then I went home and tried out every single demo, saving those I liked, tossing the ones I didn't, and saving the landmarks. At the end of the adventure, I had purchased one new hairdo.

My question is... have you been there? How do you go about shopping at the hair fair? What do you like in a hair store at the fair? What don't you like? 

It's encouraging to know that I might be able to go to this event and not end up dropping my entire purse on hair.

I, too, stopped at every store, grabbed the demos I wanted and all the gifts. There's still some demos I have to try but I usually sit on them for a bit while I decide. When I go back I'll decide on the bandanas I want.

I find it odd when a designer's gift is not hair-related at the Hair Fair, but my biggest pet peeve is not having a sign showing the donation percentage.

• Like 3

Before I hit any big event I always check for a blog gallery first. Being a male avatar there's often not much that I want at general events, so rather than risk wading through lag soup for nothing I like to know in advance if I need to be area searching for anything specific. Usually I find a gallery at the Seraphim blog, but Hair Fair has its own dedicated blog. This post on that blog contains images of all the styles available, plus direct SLurls and exact locations to each store at the event. That helped me to narrow things down to 13 stores I wanted demos from...

...at which point I joined the (free) Hair Fair Demo group and pulled those demos from group notices. From there, I could then grab the SLurls to each store I wanted to buy from, and teleport there directly.

I guess that's what you might call SL shopping at its most time-efficient, but of course I will head there once things have quietened down a bit and walk around for a much better and more detailed look. For now, though, when I wanted to blog a specific hairstyle, the gallery/demo group/direct TP method of shopping was really helpful.

In fact, I wrote on my most recent blog post about the efforts that the Hair Fair organisers have gone to in order to make it as lag-free and easy to navigate as possible, and how much I appreciate that effort. They've put the focus on visitors and their ability to shop (which, of course, increases the eventual amount of money that the benefiting charity will gain) as opposed to making the Most Gorgeous and Fantastical Location That Nobody Can Bloody Well MOVE In.

Among other things they have:

• Allowed direct teleports, rather than forcing all arriving avatars into one congested landing point
  • Sub-divided the regions and switched off avatar visibility on adjoining parcels to reduce the rendering required
  • Named each store's sign so that - even if textures are slow to rez - visitors can use hover tooltips to find out where they are
  • Further sub-divided each section of the regions with coloured window shutters, so that absolute directions can be given (eg: Redhead region > green shutters in the middle left of the region)
  • Had a simple build that still looked nice, but was devoid of unnecessary fancy details

All of this enabled me to get in without any hassle on Day 1 of Hair Fair, with approximately 40 other people in the region I teleported into. And that wasn't just because I'm a premium member, either. Others I spoke to had no issue getting in with non-payment avatars, too.

Contrast this with another popular event that I managed to get into very recently, again on Day 1. This event:

• Had a forced landing point at the end of a long catwalk, with the event area at the other end
  • Had invisible walls either side of that catwalk so that visitors were funnelled in one direction and couldn't move off the path
  • Had disabled flying so that visitors couldn't escape the crush at the landing point and move a bit more quickly
  • Had a gorgeous mesh build that was detailed and complex, full of niches and curlicues, frills and furbelows

With roughly 30 people in that region (most of whom were just churning at the landing point, trying to move away from it) it was simply impossible to move. Even with my powerful computer, the build never fully rezzed and I had to stop trying to move and instead camshop from so far away that I couldn't see half of the vendors inside. I managed to pick up one item and then left, completely frustrated. Others that I've spoken to have subsequently been trying to get in, with premium and basic accounts, without success, for several days. When they do get in they can't move.

I'm never going to stop bitching about this. (I was bitching about it back in 2013 and I'm still bitching about it today.) Sure, make your event look good, but don't make it difficult for people to shop there. (Especially don't do this if your event is benefiting a charity.) Don't make your event location so fantastically detailed* that visitors need the combined computational power of NASA to get it to rez when the region is loaded down by more than a small handful of other avatars. Don't force people into one single tiny landing point and then switch off or try to control every means of moving through lag that they have.

I honestly don't care what an event build looks like. What I care about is:

• Ease of movement
  • Ease of navigation
  • Ease of shopping

After all of those, then I look up and think, "Oh hey, this place looks really nice".

*Exception: Some events that happen to include shopping - such as Fantasy Fair - are, of course, primarily about the location. Those are not the events that I'm talking about here.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 8

I always appreciate it when event organisers have some kind of notification that "there's guy stuff in this store". Since I buy male and female stuff I check out every store regardless, but I love seeing things like that whenever I go to an event.

• Like 1

I stopped there for about 10 seconds,then realized,I'm gonna have to prepare for this..

At first I was like,Oh hair fair,I'll just port there take a quick look around grab some demos and go try them out..

I sometimes forget my experiences from the past and just jump in head first..

So I am going to be better prepared today before I go..

I was pretty loaded down with huds on and jacked up on scripts and so on..It just completely slipped my mind..:$:ph34r:

• Like 2

I was there last night about 10:00 PM SLT.   It was bust bit not full and I had no problem walking around the sims.

I bought 5 new dos after all was said and done.  I went with the intention of finding a new up do.  I have a hard time finding one I like, tho.

I did get another short hair.

Snapshot_062.jpg.5777a8eae96d8bf0b354e3f5b2267e7d.jpg

This is from EMO-tions.  I bought two styles from them because they include a Lelutka hairbase HUD (plus Omega and other popular brands of course)

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I was there last night about 10:00 PM SLT.   It was bust bit not full and I had no problem walking around the sims.

I bought 5 new dos after all was said and done.  I went with the intention of finding a new up do.  I have a hard time finding one I like, tho.

This is from EMO-tions.  I bought two styles from them because they include a Lelutka hairbase HUD (plus Omega and other popular brands of course)

They have some nice hair there..I have some of their styles.. Also have to say,I love your eyes,,They look really deep.

I'm also hoping =Dela= has a spot there..I really like her styles..I think I've bought just about everything she would have for me so far..Would love to see what she has now.:)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Not sure if I picked up that demo to show you or not. I did grab a few short styles because I don't think we replaced that old one yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Also have to say,I love your eyes,,They look really deep

Thank you very much!

1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

. I did grab a few short styles because I don't think we replaced that old one yet.

The old gameboi one?  Yeah, it was way heavy on DW.  I have been wearing one of the Truth group gifts for my short hair recently.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

The old gameboi one?  Yeah, it was way heavy on DW.  I have been wearing one of the Truth group gifts for my short hair recently.

Ha! It is indeed one of the demos I picked up for you. *deletes from inventory*

3 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I am allergic to crowds, so I haven't been there yet, but I might have to check it out. I mean I don't think I have enough hair yet.

As with pretty much all events, I'll wait a few more days to let the crowds settle a bit.  I'll probably wander over there late this coming weekend or early next week.

14 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Had disabled flying so that visitors couldn't escape the crush at the landing point and move a bit more quickly

I turn on the flying override setting before I go to any event and always arrive flying to help myself escape the mess just in case.

• Like 1

This event usually only has 1 or 2 styles total that I like. Thanks for linking the blog post though - I think I already found one of them. I have been so busy in RL events like this skipped my mind... good thing this one lasts a little while so I will have time to get through it.

• Like 1

For the first two days I was unable to even get into the fair, and once I got in it would barely load for me.  That's mostly my fault, my internet connection isn't great.  I'm pretty sure there are freebies I wasn't able to pick up because they hadn't fully loaded and I didn't know they were there.  I bought two hairs (and tried two demos that ended up not working for me) and might go back for a third.  The dryad hair by Aii is really neat and I'd be able to build an entire character around it, if I wanted.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.