Because I'm literally not getting any replies on this in 3 days I'm posting this here
Been wondering if anyone knows the cause of this but everytime I connect my Deciduan to someone I get a Script Error;
Deciduan Couples HUD (Male) v6.8.0.1 [script:EHA_Couple] Script run-time error
Stack-Heap Collision

when this happens I cannot access anything on Deciduan, the UI is there but clicking on it does nothing

• Like 1

I don't even know what this is, maybe no one else does either which might be why you never got a response, you might try contacting the creator of the thing.

• Like 2

A stack-heap collision is when the script runs out of memory and tries to use the same memory for two different things. When that happens, the script will stop working and the only solutions are either to reset it or replace the item with a fresh copy.

To reset the script: Hit Ctrl+3 to open the edit window, click on the HUD, find the script, double-click on it and click on the reset button.

If you can't do that, replace with a backup copy.

If you don't have a backup copy, see if you can get a redelivery.

• Like 3

To expand on ChinRey's post...

When a script runs, it is allocated a finite amount of memory to run in. The programme code is loaded from the bottom up in the memory, and is called the 'heap'. The stack is ongoing data and variables that change as the programme runs. Because it is constantly changing, it can grow and shrink. It is loaded from the top of the memory down. When the two meet, it's a stack-heap collison, and the programme stops working.

With something like your couples HUD, it may be that you can put more and more animations into it, which will cause more and more of the finite memory to be used, and eventually cause a stack-heap collision. The script code itself doesn't cause stack-heap collision, or it wouldn't work at all. With animation items, it's usually adding more and more to the item that's the cause.

As ChinRey said, resetting the script will fix it for a while, unless you've already added too many animations. If you've done that, remove some and all should be well again. My experience of creating items with animations is that, if a script runs ok, then stack-heap collisions are caused by adding too many animations.

On the other hand, I could be barking up the wrong tree in this case :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

Wouldn't it be nice if we all wrote our scripts to detect "low memory" and emit a nice context-relevant warning? Such as, "Memory is too low. You must remove some animations."

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChinRey said:

A stack-heap collision is when the script runs out of memory and tries to use the same memory for two different things. When that happens, the script will stop working and the only solutions are either to reset it or replace the item with a fresh copy.

To reset the script: Hit Ctrl+3 to open the edit window, click on the HUD, find the script, double-click on it and click on the reset button.

If you can't do that, replace with a backup copy.

If you don't have a backup copy, see if you can get a redelivery.

I don't know where to find the script ? nor is there any button that says reset

Edited by xFunkapotimusx
  • Like 1

Right click the HUD, and select Edit. The HUD will be highlighted and the Edit box will open.

Click Build at the top of the viewer (not the top of the Edit box), and select Scripts > Reset scripts in selection.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 6:18 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Wouldn't it be nice if we all wrote our scripts to detect "low memory" and emit a nice context-relevant warning? Such as, "Memory is too low. You must remove some animations."

Stop being logical about this. What would we do without programmers giving us crap to deal with here in the forums?

¬¬

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

hey so, I found a fix if it is for the same reason I had. Attach it to a different hud attachment point. I had 2 things there and they were both kind of resource heavy so it crashed but when I switched it stopped. 

• Like 1

If the device is no-mod, you can't reset the script. 

If you've been adding animations to the device, then its not no-mod (or is mod, to avoid the double negative).

Animations don't consume script memory per se, but the names or UUIDs of the animations do consume script memory, typically.   Some animation huds send data to off-world servers to avoid the limitation. 

• Like 1