Rigging a mesh with non-human proportions?

nogsmcdogs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

So I'm fairly new to the whole avatar creation thing, but decided to go ahead and make my own mesh model + textures. Now I'm at the point where I need to rig it to the SL skeleton, but I'm having some trouble figuring out how to do so since the proportions are not perfectly humanoid (namely the position of the head + neck) and the skeleton would need to be deformed to fit it. Especially since I want to rig it with a bento tail and hands...! I also don't know how to create a talkjaw (or even close the jaw since I modeled it with the jaw open...), blinking eyes, twitching ears + the like, so any help and/or advice would be super appreciated!!

In case it helps, the tail, ears, and mane are a separate object.

Here's the model I'm working with:

rotisserie_by_strawbbeary-dbes4he.gif

I honestly don't mind if I have to specifically buy another version of Avastar or something, I just really want this to work ;____;

Thanks!

Edited by nogsmcdogs

Since nobody has responded as yet, I'll try to give you just some pointers to how it works in general, in the hope someone with real experience will jump in.

The joints will have to be repositioned to match the models proportions before you skin it to the skeleton. During import there is a checkbox Include joint positions which will have to be ticked then.

The Bento skeleton has jaw, ear and tail bones included as well. So you will have to rig these parts to the appropriate bones. To make these bones move, you will have to create custom animations for them. The systems avatars lip sync is done with morph targets, which aren't supported with custom meshes. So everything needs to be bone animations. Be it the jaw, ears, or tail.

Edited by arton Rotaru

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 10:57 PM, arton Rotaru said:

Since nobody has responded as yet, I'll try to give you just some pointers to how it works in general, in the hope someone with real experience will jump in.

The joints will have to be repositioned to match the models proportions before you skin it to the skeleton. During import there is a checkbox Include joint positions which will have to be ticked then.

The Bento skeleton has jaw, ear and tail bones included as well. So you will have to rig these parts to the appropriate bones. To make these bones move, you will have to create custom animations for them. The systems avatars lip sync is done with morph targets, which aren't supported with custom meshes. So everything needs to be bone animations. Be it the jaw, ears, or tail.

Yeah I thought as much! I've been trying to edit the SL skeleton to fit the proportions, but whenever I try to rig the mesh to the skeleton the entire mesh deforms kind of hilariously.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.