Creating and Transferring a Custom clothing order

Skye0Lark

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone,

I am new to designing clothes and have received a request for a custom order someone wants to sell in their shop. Before I take this on I want to make sure I am doing this right for mine and the customer's sake.  Can anyone help guide me with the best way to set up and transfer items to be resold by another store?

Thank you for your time!

7 answers to this question

Make sure you have clear agreement about the price and permissions.

• If your client wants to resell, you have to give it to them with copy and transfer permissions, that's the only way. They probably want modify perms too. Remember to rez the items and set the permissions in-world. Permission changes done to items while they are in your inventory won't always stick.
  • Does the client want exclusive rights to the work you do for them? It's important you are clear about that in advance so there'll be no misunderstandings.

• Like 1

Thank you for answering ChinRey.  We haven't discussed exclusivity yet, thank you for mentioning that.  Very good to know about setting permissions while rezzed instead of in inventory. I didn't realize you can have problems with this.  I doubt seriously they would want modify enabled, but will double check.  Now I guess one easy way would be to just drop my vendor into the store and that way the customers buy from me. Decisions... decisions. :D

Any other guidance you can offer is truly appreciated! Thanks again.

Along with ChinRey's answer ---- 

Typically when someone makes custom mesh clothes to be sold by the purchaser (rather than full perm template clothes), they send the buyer the DAE file so that the person buying uploads the garments and with the buyer's name on the item (rather than adding a "creator prim" which can often be seen as such by inspecting (there are ways around this of course)). 

The buyer would likely want exclusivity; if so, in effect you would be doing Work For Hire -- which is a perfectly fine way to work if that is acceptable to you. 

The other choice (maybe) would be to go into a limited sort of partnership with the person and split the proceeds somehow. The important point is that however you decide to proceed -- if you decide to proceed is to get everything figured out before hand and in writing.  

So be clear with each other about expectations :D. 

• Like 1

Every creator thinks about things a little differently  I'm a scripter.  When I write a custom script, I provide it full perm to the buyer and price it accordingly.  I don't care to be bothered with a cut of profits from future sales.  As far as I am concerned, it's a one-time order and delivery on my part.  I will always provide service if something blows up, but a new or enhanced version is a new order.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Every creator thinks about things a little differently  I'm a scripter.  When I write a custom script, I provide it full perm to the buyer and price it accordingly.  I don't care to be bothered with a cut of profits from future sales.  As far as I am concerned, it's a one-time order and delivery on my part.  I will always provide service if something blows up, but a new or enhanced version is a new order.

Agreed. While I don't make custom mesh, I did do Work For Hire in real life for over a decade -- and did very well. I gave ALL rights to the work to the person commissioning me and only kept the right to show the work in my portfolio if I chose. 

A perfectly good way to work.  I have done a couple of partnership things in SL and OS and they have worked out fine as far as I know :D.  I have friends that enjoy the partnership thing very much it seems, so we DO all work differently :D.

We have sort of talked around it... But, the annoying problem is the creator field in the item. If you give them anything you made in-world, the system will list you as the creator. That means you will get the customer questions and issue complaints from the end users. That isn't what you want. The seller needs to handle customer issues.

One workaround is the 'Creator Prim' mentioned earlier. Your customer would add a prim they create as the new Root Prim and file in the info so people see them as the creator. With new sellers, you may have to teach them how to do it.

Deals in SL are pretty much final with little recourse to remedy problems after the sale. You might sell the item to your customer with the provision they add a Creator Prim. To enforce that provision, require a deposit at purchase, just part of the purchase price, that you will refund when you see the final product and the inclusion of a Creator Prim in it.

As stated above, knowledgeable people can track down the other creator info in the item. But, most people are unaware of how to do that nor are aware it can be done.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.