Huge drop in sales. Is anyone else experiencing it?

QuestionMarkk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My marketplace sales, as well as my friend's sales, dropped down 90% since Monday and it's like that until now (Thursday evening).

I understand that sales drop down when there is marketplace or billing maintenance but right now I "only" see "investigating", does it also counts as maintenance? I guess not. In the latest message I read "After some intensive troubleshooting that - despite our best efforts - took longer than we’d have liked, the base cause of these failed transactions was resolved as of 3:51PM PDT on the same day.  However, we still have the task of refunding the thousands of failed transactions to the impacted users ahead of us. " etc.

From which I understand everything should work corretly.. but it doesn't. Or is it just us? 

Is anyone else experiencing this huge huge drop in marketplace sales?

TY 

My sales are norm for this time of the month. Summer can affect some vendors too as ChinRey says.  It depends a lot on what you sell I would guess. For me Marketplace and instore sales are doing well and venues (events) are definitely down. That wasn't your question but just saying LOL. 

I have to wonder what is going on, and whether everything is in fact visible and findable that is for sale. I tinker with this now and then.

But this week once again (this is the third time) I had HUNDREDS of items unceremoniously just DUMPED of the MP.

Why?!

It wasn't due to any violations -- there was no notice at all. And obviously when hundreds of items fall off all at once, it's some other problems.

It took more over an hour to re-list them all. 

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I have to wonder what is going on, and whether everything is in fact visible and findable that is for sale. I tinker with this now and then.

But this week once again (this is the third time) I had HUNDREDS of items unceremoniously just DUMPED of the MP.

Why?!

It wasn't due to any violations -- there was no notice at all. And obviously when hundreds of items fall off all at once, it's some other problems.

It took more over an hour to re-list them all. 

Prok, you should contact support about your MP items being unlisted, or file a JIRA issue (if you can...).
LL are investigating why this happens - I don't think there is a pending fix yet but I may be wrong.

There's a known bug that causes some or all items listed on the MP to become unlisted.
I'm not sure of the cause but it seems to happen when you log in world & some funky race condition happens with your inventory (the MP listings are in a hidden inventory folder)  which causes the MP items to unlist.

Here are some of the bug reports:

BUG-40893 - When logging in, SL unlisted ALL my used items (gachas) on Marketplace

BUG-11655 - Marketplace Listings automatically unlisted

BUG-11831 - Marketplace listings automaticly offline

BUG-10613 - My Entire Market Place Delisted

BUG-100560 - Delisting of half omy Market Place AGAIN

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

That specific bug is actually fixed now but the other cases of the problem are likely related yeah.

I'm just guessing here of course but it's certainly an educated guess: all these problems and several other ones with listings becoming corrupted all boil down to VMM handing MP listings over to an inventory management system that already was seriously overlaode and notoriously unstable, right?

• Like 2

Sounds about right.

What is horrifying is that apparently LL knows there are certain things that we should never ever do, or always do without fail, lest disaster befall us -- and they do not give us a list of them. 

PS Having your whole marketplace store unlisted qualifies as a disaster.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 4

On 6/29/2017 at 2:11 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Prok, you should contact support about your MP items being unlisted, or file a JIRA issue (if you can...).
LL are investigating why this happens - I don't think there is a pending fix yet but I may be wrong.

There's a known bug that causes some or all items listed on the MP to become unlisted.
I'm not sure of the cause but it seems to happen when you log in world & some funky race condition happens with your inventory (the MP listings are in a hidden inventory folder)  which causes the MP items to unlist.

Here are some of the bug reports:

BUG-40893 - When logging in, SL unlisted ALL my used items (gachas) on Marketplace

BUG-11655 - Marketplace Listings automatically unlisted

BUG-11831 - Marketplace listings automaticly offline

BUG-10613 - My Entire Market Place Delisted

BUG-100560 - Delisting of half omy Market Place AGAIN

Once again, I'm banned from the JIRA, so the JIRA is not something I can work on. I'm banned because I insisted that "return group-set objects on share" is a bug -- when the group is set to have the power to return set objects OFF -- while it is declared "a feature" by collective build-happy Lindens who want to "edit on the fly" and get rid of people's prims in their group they don't like. That this is havoc for group rentals doesn't bother them. The JIRA was a morass anyway. It's not a venue to get anything done other than little avatar feet shadows or something nerdy like that.

I thought about reporting but I realized that just as when I lost all my inventory that time, if I can't get them to see and act on my ticket immediately, it's pointless. A ticket aged even 24 hours will mean they likely can't see the thing that caused the dump. It took them more than 2 weeks even to answer my ticket on the lost inventory, and only jumping up and down in the forums worked -- and because other people they like had the same issue.

I don't know what "race" conditions are, but logging on is always a bag of surprises as you never know whether you will be back in gray squares, whether your clothes will have been stripped away, whether you will be put on one of those dumb adult "safe hubs", whether you will get logged out right away again with a "Darn!"  etc. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. 

Anyway, I got the message here: stop listing things on the MP.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Well, it is possible to live a carefree, happy Second Life and it is possible to sell stuff on the Marketplace. But you can't do both, you have to choose one or the other.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Once again, I'm banned from the JIRA, so the JIRA is not something I can work on. I'm banned because I insisted that "return group-set objects on share" is a bug -- when the group is set to have the power to return set objects OFF -- while it is declared "a feature" by collective build-happy Lindens who want to "edit on the fly" and get rid of people's prims in their group they don't like. That this is havoc for group rentals doesn't bother them. The JIRA was a morass anyway. It's not a venue to get anything done other than little avatar feet shadows or something nerdy like that.

I thought about reporting but I realized that just as when I lost all my inventory that time, if I can't get them to see and act on my ticket immediately, it's pointless. A ticket aged even 24 hours will mean they likely can't see the thing that caused the dump. It took them more than 2 weeks even to answer my ticket on the lost inventory, and only jumping up and down in the forums worked -- and because other people they like had the same issue.

I don't know what "race" conditions are, but logging on is always a bag of surprises as you never know whether you will be back in gray squares, whether your clothes will have been stripped away, whether you will be put on one of those dumb adult "safe hubs", whether you will get logged out right away again with a "Darn!"  etc. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. 

Prok, serious question.  You seem, (and I'll be happy to be corrected) to think that LL dislike you or consider you some sort of irritation, and you seem to rather dislike them too.  If this is so, why do you stay on SL?  Isn't it possibly going to cause you more perturbation and annoyance?  I have no personal axe to grind here, as I'm neither a Linden nor one of your customers, just curious.  I'm not suggesting you SHOULD leave, if you still enjoy it and want to continue.  As I said, I'm just curious. Anyway, I do wish you a happy weekend.

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Or at least, "Stop listing things on MP with a twelve-year old account that has had repeated inventory issues, runs a property business that requires extensive inventory use, has attracted the attention of generations of griefers and has managed to get itself banned from the JIRA when the owner of that account could just as easily create a new, pristine account for the sole purpose of going to crowded regions and performing dozens of inventory actions to get no-copy items, some of which are theoretically valuable, and selling those items; given that the items are transferrable and any that the owner wants to keep can be quickly transferred to the main account."

Granted, that does take longer to type.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2017 at 10:46 AM, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

Prok, serious question.  You seem, (and I'll be happy to be corrected) to think that LL dislike you or consider you some sort of irritation, and you seem to rather dislike them too.  If this is so, why do you stay on SL?  Isn't it possibly going to cause you more perturbation and annoyance?  I have no personal axe to grind here, as I'm neither a Linden nor one of your customers, just curious.  I'm not suggesting you SHOULD leave, if you still enjoy it and want to continue.  As I said, I'm just curious. Anyway, I do wish you a happy weekend.

I always condemn the "exodus" plan for society that you're essentially endorsing.  "There's the door if you don't like it". It seems impossible for you to envision a society where people criticize -- even very sharply -- and try to change things -- gasp, imagine that! -- and remain in them. Even if it is futile. Because they believe in the principles. And that they might even stay in this imperfect (to them) society for all kinds of reasons. You're just on a different, conformist wavelength. You're bothered by conflict and criticism and you want it to go away. But it won't. 

On 7/1/2017 at 2:20 PM, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

If I were in your situation, Prok, I'd try sending the transferable stuff to an alt or new account with a smaller inventory. It would rule out some of the variables like your history of inventory problems. Good luck.

If you are in business, your avatar is your brand. Your avatar name is what everyone has in mind for questions or requests. This idea of offloading to other accounts may work for people pursuing a private Second Life. But if you are a public figure running a business it's not an option. It's a huge obstacle to work flow to have to log on the other account and make sure you have permissions given on both sides -- why? What's more effective is for the Lindens to fix their chronic inventory problems as in the long run, it will be central to their revenue plan. If they want content and not land to be the source of income, they have to do much more to secure it.

Just now, Prokofy Neva said:

I always condemn the "exodus" plan for society that you're essentially endorsing.  "There's the door if you don't like it". It seems impossible for you to envision a society where people criticize -- even very sharply -- and try to change things -- gasp, imagine that! -- and remain in them. Even if it is futile. Because they believe in the principles. And that they might even stay in this imperfect (to them) society for all kinds of reasons. You're just on a different, conformist wavelength. You're bothered by conflict and criticism and you want it to go away. But it won't. 

I'm guessing the part where I said 'I'm not suggesting you SHOULD leave, if you still enjoy it and want to continue.'  didn't register?  I'm all for people working to improve things, and so long as you want to be in SL, more power to you :)  I'm not the slightest bit bothered by criticism or conflict; it's all part of life's rich tapestry.  As I was at pains to point out, I was just curious about YOUR motivation.

On 7/1/2017 at 11:30 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

Or at least, "Stop listing things on MP with a twelve-year old account that has had repeated inventory issues, runs a property business that requires extensive inventory use, has attracted the attention of generations of griefers and has managed to get itself banned from the JIRA when the owner of that account could just as easily create a new, pristine account for the sole purpose of going to crowded regions and performing dozens of inventory actions to get no-copy items, some of which are theoretically valuable, and selling those items; given that the items are transferrable and any that the owner wants to keep can be quickly transferred to the main account."

Granted, that does take longer to type.

First of all, I don't "go to crowded regions and perform inventory actions". Who does that??? That's insane.

Secondly, the Lindens need to secure the MP, and that means people like me have to keep speaking up and pushing them and not finding workarounds that involve inconvenience like new and multiple accounts.

It's annoying enough to have to go through the steps to list things, especially "category" which Linden keeps viciously policing often in perplexing ways. To add to that another annoyance of creating a separate "seller" account just isn't viable. Why? SL should work.

2 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

If you are in business, your avatar is your brand. Your avatar name is what everyone has in mind for questions or requests. This idea of offloading to other accounts may work for people pursuing a private Second Life. But if you are a public figure running a business it's not an option. It's a huge obstacle to work flow to have to log on the other account and make sure you have permissions given on both sides -- why? What's more effective is for the Lindens to fix their chronic inventory problems as in the long run, it will be central to their revenue plan. If they want content and not land to be the source of income, they have to do much more to secure it.

But lots of people have an alt to sell off gacha duplicates.  That's not your brand; it's selling second hand stuff from someone else.  

• Like 1

Just now, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

I'm guessing the part where I said 'I'm not suggesting you SHOULD leave, if you still enjoy it and want to continue.'  didn't register?  I'm all for people working to improve things, and so long as you want to be in SL, more power to you :)  I'm not the slightest bit bothered by criticism or conflict; it's all part of life's rich tapestry.  As I was at pains to point out, I was just curious about YOUR motivation.

Oh, come now. I'll bet you're the sort of person who proposes the exodus solution routinely and feels quite smug about it as you do it. How do I know that? Because you feel a compulsion to try to fathom why I don't leave and suggest I *should* leave if "I don't like it". That lets me know that for you, the exodus solution is the way to go. 

Oh, come now. I'll bet you're the sort of person who proposes the exodus solution routinely and feels quite smug about it as you do it. How do I know that? Because you feel a compulsion to try to fathom why I don't leave and suggest I *should* leave if "I don't like it". That lets me know that for you, the exodus solution is the way to go. 

Well, you could trawl through my previous posts (there seem to be 300 of them) but just to save you time, no, I don't advocate that at all.  Sometimes, for some people, leaving is the best option.  But at no time do I suggest it.  I simply asked why you stay when you don't seem to like it.  Really, it's rather odd that anyone stays in a situation that makes them unhappy/annoyed unless they have to.

1 minute ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

But lots of people have an alt to sell off gacha duplicates.  That's not your brand; it's selling second hand stuff from someone else.  

But I'm selling my own and commissioned creations, too. People browse an account and buy both gatchas and the other types of items. I don't see any reason why I need to segregate them because the MP doesn't work. The Lindens need to make it work, I don't need to compensate with workarounds.

But I'm selling my own and commissioned creations, too. People browse an account and buy both gatchas and the other types of items. I don't see any reason why I need to segregate them because the MP doesn't work. The Lindens need to make it work, I don't need to compensate with workarounds.

You don't have to.  It was suggested as a way of making your life easier.  That's all.

1 minute ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

Well, you could trawl through my previous posts (there seem to be 300 of them) but just to save you time, no, I don't advocate that at all.  Sometimes, for some people, leaving is the best option.  But at no time do I suggest it.  I simply asked why you stay when you don't seem to like it.  Really, it's rather odd that anyone stays in a situation that makes them unhappy/annoyed unless they have to.

That you have to ask this question and persistent annoyingly with it lets me know that you subscribe to the exodus option quite vigorously. As I said, it seems beyond you to understand why people criticize AND stay -- you don't really *like* criticism. That's why you find it "odd". I'm done with this conversation, you can keep sputtering.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.