Texturing an object made in blender using the array modifier

AlexGJacobs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As you will no doubt figure out pretty quickly....I am new to building with mesh and new to blender.  I have created a log wall in blender using the array modifier.  Yep, a simple wall for a cabin.  In edit mode, it only shows the original log and uv unwrap only unwraps the original log.  I prefer to upload my textures separately from my mesh model.  Once imported into SL, how will the texture be handled?  Specifically, will the one texture be applied to all the individual parts of the mesh?  

Thanks for any assistance. 

Edited by AlexGJacobs
typo

Well, it took a little experimenting but if anybody is wondering about the answer.......SL does import the modifier but it textures each log in the stack exactly the same.  It makes is pretty easy but does not give a very realistic looking result.  The wall itself looks great because it does not have the "flat" look you see in most of the log homes in SL.  With a little tweaking I managed to get the LI for a 20' x 12' wall down from 13 to 3 which is not bad.  It's fun playing with something new.  Thank goodness for the beta grid.  :-)

Hi and welcome to the mesh forum :)

To get more variation you could try the following:

•    Find or make your own custom tilable wooden planc texture.
  •    After UV unwrapping the original log, Apply the Array modifier.
  •    Load up your texture in the UV editor.
  •   You will find all the log UV's occuppying the same space in the UV square. In Island select mode, select the Island one by one and move them around on and off the UV square so that they look less uniform in the 3D view.

5952b3b3bd576_UVsforlogcabinwalls..png.3f83d7653878cb7bd6237871aa5ecdec.png

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 2

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.   I will give this a try.  Now for the "newbie" really dumb follow up question.  When I export this into SL, am I able to export this modified UV map and if so, can I upload the texture separately in SL and then apply it to the imported mesh?  Again, thank you for your help.  

The part that I now understand is that with the array UVMap, the maps for the rest of the array are there, just occupying the same space.

Edited by AlexGJacobs
an epiphany :-)

Second Life imports models as they were exported. SL doesn't look at any Modifiers a 3rd party authoring tool would have. What you do when exporting the mesh is that the modifiers will be applied on export. So every time you make a change to a mesh in Blender, it will have to be exported, and re-imported into SL again.

Indeed you can upload, and apply any texture to any object in-world.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.