Lost 400$L through transactions failing

Free14nder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was buying an item on the store for 200 L$ it took my money then went into pending, I waited 15 mins before checking out the page again where it hadn't changed at all. I went off the page and tried to buy it again which took another 200 L$ this time saying it had crashed, but it didn't refund me back any money.

How do I get this money back? Is there anyway I can contact the support?

4 answers to this question

I'm not quite sure what you are describing.  If you were trying toi buy something at an in-world store, the vendor may have malfunctioned.  If that's the case, first double check the Transaction History on your dashboard at secondlife.com (or just click on the "SL Hand" icon at the top of this page) to be sure that the transaction actually occurred.  Then send the store owner a polite notecard containing the information from the Transaction History and your explanation of what happened.  Many merchants will be glad to give you a refund if you provide clear information.  Do be patient, though.

If you were trying to buy something from the Marketplace, the entire transaction was handled by Linden Lab, not the merchant.  You may ask the merchant for redelivery of a product, but if you want a refund, submit a support case to Linden Lab, using the category "Failed Marketplace Delivery", again including the transaction information from your dashboard. 

The part if your message that I find puzzling is the bit where you said

39 minutes ago, Free14nder said:

it took my money then went into pending

That sounds very much as if the system was waiting for a L$ purchase through the LindeX, and was having some trouble getting a timely payment from your PayPal or credit card account. If so, you should rethink the way you are buying things.  Generally speaking, it is smartest to make Marketplace purchases with L$ rather than using the option to charge your payment method directly.  After all, you will be charged a 60 cent fee for every L$ purchase, no matter how small it is.  If you buy L$5,000, that fee will only amount to 3% of the cost.  If you buy a L$250 dress in MP and charge it directly, however, that 60 cent fee will amount to an extra 60% of the purchase price.  Therefore, it's smart to make a large L$ purchase once a month or so and then use that cash when you want to buy anything.

Sorry I'm quite new to the game, basically I went to buy the thing off of the market website, rather than the in-world store, and as I pressed "Buy now" it took me to the page where you purchase it. It took my money, but then failed to give me the thing I actually bought, I tried again and I had the same problem. 

You didn't necessarily do anything wrong, other than violate the Rule of Holes ("If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.").  As you have no doubt seen in other posts this afternoon, Linden Lab has been trying to repair some sort of disaster in the accounting system.  If you missed it, check the Grid Status Blog, where you will find the latest update:

"Our unscheduled billing maintenance is still in progress. Again, we appreciate your continued patience. Please check back for further updates.

Posted 12 minutes ago. Jun 26, 2017 - 14:45 PDT"

So, you have two choices.  One is to do nothing for now.  Since the accounting system is out of order at the moment, nobody can look into your problem anyway.  When they have fixed their problem, they will almost certainly go in and try to identify all the accounts like yours that may have been affected.  The other option is to help them a bit by submitting a support case.  Copy all the information about your attempts from the Transaction History on your dashboard and paste it into your support case.  Then wait for them to fix things.  It may take a day or so, since this looks like a fairly serious problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.