Clothes without change with light and without light

FernandaCassia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have noticed that some clothes even without changing the lighting or putting facelight / light remain perfect, same as with lighting. How do you do this? Is there any configuration in photoshop, mesh super low? Or very high? For my clothes with and without illumination change drastically.
Grateful

No light = normal (afternoon) lighting.

Snapshot_003.thumb.png.97235260d6da3a83d2257d4797326f20.png

Light = edited environment setting.(All white, made studio)

Snapshot_004.thumb.png.24ecb5ef29e9af925fb142f15d1a104b.png

Edited by FernandaCassia

In the textures tab in the regular edit/build window, check the full bright box to switch off all shaders:

595030b9c717c_Fullbright.png.5a72a30e5fb901a63a077c8fb7eec032.png

That's all. It's one of the oldest functions in SL and not at all particularly associated with mesh or clothing.

I suggest you think twice before you do it though. I can't imagine there are many oteghrs who agree with you that clothes that glow in the dark are "perfect". I don't know this but I wouldn't be at all surprised if fullbright clothes could even get you banned from a few places in SL.

Edited by ChinRey
Typos
  • Like 1

It is not full bright, I have already tested it and it is not active.
Here is an image of a full perm outfit that does not change dramatically with lighting and no lighting and it does not have full bright active.

No light [ edit: normal (afternoon) lighting]

Snapshot_008.thumb.png.0c35d51643f09a86c1fad1c63a74edb0.png

Light [edit: edited environment setting.(All white, made studio]

Snapshot_007.thumb.png.93a1599c9d3371c7a8c0300ad924b52e.png

Edited by FernandaCassia

I'm also not certain what do you exactly mean by light, and no light. From the images in the first post, I would say it's quite normal self shadowing the dress from the sun at 12:00 PM.

The dress in your second post, at night does indeed look like fullbright judging from the iamge. You may want to check if the diffuse texture isn't set to "Emissive" in the Alpha mode drop down. Which is basically the same as fullbright, only with much more controll over the area and the strength of the brightmess.

• Like 1

Alright. Something what could make the difference could be the vertex normals of the dresses. In that image below the model on the left has it's default normals, and how it gets shaded at 12:00 PM inworld.
The model on the right has edited vertex normals, which are pointed upwards a bit. Actually there are no normals which would point downwards anymore on the model. That's a common technique to enhance the shading of trees, and grass and the like.

VertNormals01.jpg.58d8876ce63a9db45c5dd25159830908.jpg

VertNormals02.jpg.300ff59d9282ef7dc7ff537a8c485688.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried something that I find on the web in Maya 2013 and blender, but so far without success.

Maya:

These yellow arrows are the normal vertex, which you simply dropped on your clothing and went ahead of it.

vertexnormalsmaya.png

In the second life, they look ok when the avatar is stopped, but when she walks the clothes '' blinks '', it turns white, gray, white, gray, non-stop.

Blender:

vertexnormalsblender.thumb.png.55246e181fb57f13d0e30168cfe0b358.png

In the second life so that it is with the full light was on, very white, even in natural light (noon)

Snapshot_001.png.f104c693465b6c535909ab680a967021.png

Edited by FernandaCassia

4 hours ago, Imagin Illyar said:

If you find anything, please let us know!

Editing the vertex normals, like I did in the example images, is pretty easy in 3ds max. However, unfortunately it isn't as easy in Maya, or Blender. Blenders normal editing tools are rather non existent still, and Maya isn't as capable as Max in this area either.

On such dense meshes as shown in the images of Fernandas post, it can be a real pain to edit normals anyway I guess.

Edited by arton Rotaru
typo
  • Like 1

I found this for Blender:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/modeling/modifiers/modify/normal_edit.html
I don't know much about this (yet) but apparently it's a modifier in Blender and, from the page I linked, it doesn't look too hard.

On 6/25/2017 at 8:58 PM, FernandaCassia said:

OK thank you!
I will look at some web tutorials and try to do.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Imagin Illyar said:

I found this for Blender:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/modeling/modifiers/modify/normal_edit.html
I don't know much about this (yet) but apparently it's a modifier in Blender and, from the page I linked, it doesn't look too hard.

You may have more luck looking at the Data Transfer Modifier.  Drongle McMahon gives a very good explanation of the process in this thread Blender & normal editing - rounded edges

• Like 2

I downloaded 3D Max in the trial version, but I have not had time to try anything on it or Blender, my university is on trial week. Drongle McMahon's tutorial looks great, I'll try it as soon as I have time. Thanks for the tips, as soon as I do something, I post here. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!
I downloaded the 3ds Max 2017 in version student and i achieved edit correctly.

I split the dress in zbrush and edited the vertex normals in 3ds max .

Note: I edited in the low version, I left the mesh smooth with blender sculpt mode.

Before: midday lighting

before_001.png.96372b463a3698ba17bc5b36bc7a46d0.png

After: midday lighting

after_001.png.2512e35de0040cd6b4ccf128357b95c1.png

Thank you

Edited by FernandaCassia
I achieved edit correctly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.