iMac 'SNAP' and shut down on SL startup

Tommy Anton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has anyone experienced issues with Secondlife and Sierra?

Right after upgrading to Sierra, my 1 gb graphics card went "kahblewy". I have an mid 2011 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac with 24 gb ram. I just assumed the card went bas so I decided to replace the broken 1 gig card with a new 2 gig graphics card. Unfortunately, now every time I open Secondlife I hear a 'SNAP' and my iMac shuts down.

NO other program so far has caused this issue and I'm starting to wonder if Secondlife/Sierra compatibility issues weren't to blame all along?

I'm so frustrated!

Any input would be appreciated!

If you just replaced your graphics card, it's probably not nVidia. From those stats, I'm guessing your old one wasn't nVidia either, probably a Radeon IRCC. nVidia in Macs + Sierra + SL is a known bork. That's my situation, symptoms were different from yours though. Mine crashes SL but not the computer.

Pretty much all my knowledge on the subject comes from Gavin Hird, who makes the Kokua viewer and recommended the OpenSim version as a substitute (page 2 of this thread). I don't know if it will help any. Good luck and much sympathy. It's a very frustrating place to be in.

18 hours ago, Tommy Anton said:

Has anyone experienced issues with Secondlife and Sierra?

Right after upgrading to Sierra, my 1 gb graphics card went "kahblewy". I have an mid 2011 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac with 24 gb ram. I just assumed the card went bas so I decided to replace the broken 1 gig card with a new 2 gig graphics card. Unfortunately, now every time I open Secondlife I hear a 'SNAP' and my iMac shuts down.

NO other program so far has caused this issue and I'm starting to wonder if Secondlife/Sierra compatibility issues weren't to blame all along?

I'm so frustrated!

Any input would be appreciated!

The way modern operation systems are written, no application should be able to make your computer shut down much less make a "snapping" noise. It sounds like there's a mechanical issue somewhere else in your Mac that may have been responsible for frying your original video card as well.

Second Life really heats up my macbook because it takes alot of rendering power from CPU and GPU, maybe a fan is blocked ? I run graphics music and developer software and only the SL client really push my mac to the limits. (because of the not mac style programming)

Monti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.