Cant add a credit card

ItsEmiCo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello!!

Im trying to add a new credit card to my account since my old one expired, and I keep getting this error:

We were unable to add your payment method.

Please go back to the cashier and try again.

Please contact Second Life Support if you see this error more than once.

I saw there was a billing maintence on the 20th and also the 22nd, but today is 24th and I still cant add a credit card.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

6 answers to this question

Rolig, thank you so much for your answer. My card is a Visa, its the same I have been using all this time in SL, linked to the same bank account (no prepaid or debt card) the only difference is this one Im trying to add replace the old one that expired last month. (I already use it in RL)

That sounds like it ought to work.  The only thing that seems possibly troublesome is your phrase "linked to the same bank account", which might have either of two meanings.  I pay the monthly balance on my own Visa card by using my bank's automatic payment plan, the same way I pay my utility bill. The Visa wasn't issued by my bank, though, so it's not "linked" to my account except by the automatic payment agreement I signed.  It is possible to have a Visa card that is issued by the bank, though, so that it acts like a debit card, in that the bank regularly transfers money from a user's personal account to maintain a cash balance on the card.  That sort of "linking" can be a problem with Linden Lab's accounting system.  I wish I understood it better, but I know that some SL residents have trouble using some bank-issued cards.

35 minutes ago, ItsEmiCo said:

Rolig, thank you so much for your answer. My card is a Visa, its the same I have been using all this time in SL, linked to the same bank account (no prepaid or debt card) the only difference is this one Im trying to add replace the old one that expired last month. (I already use it in RL)

As Rolig mentioned, if the "linked to bank account" means that it is directly tied to your bank checking account (i.e. you use it and the money immediately comes out of your bank account), then it is considered a debit card even if it has a traditional credit card logo on it.  LL used to handle those types of cards fine - I used one long ago - but they don't any longer.  The mere act of updating the information will trigger the card to go through all "new" validations and bank cards will now fail.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

• Administrators

Hello ItsEmiCo!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue updating your Payment Method. When adding a new Credit/Debit Card or a Paypal/Skrill account, please be sure that you are entering all of the information correctly. Even something as small as a zip code or an address that doesn't match up to the billing information associated with your card might cause some issues.

If you continue to experience issues adding your card, please feel free to contact Support by creating a case here: https://support.secondlife.com/create-case 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.