That GRAY mesh upload thing

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This seems like a silly question to ask after four years, but my mesh always ends up light gray when I upload into SL. I change it to white and all is good. But I am guessing (hoping) that there is some default that I can change from "gray" to "white" and skip a step each and every time.

So now you really smart folks can show off your knowledge *wink*.

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

But I am guessing (hoping) that there is some default that I can change from "gray" to "white" and skip a step each and every time.

That gray has nothing to do with SL mesh actually. It's a Blender thing although for all I know, other 3D editors may use it too.

As far as I know, you can't change the default shader in Blender (you have to do it manually for each material) but you don't really want your meshes go all white anyway. That light gray shading makes it so much easier to see the details while you edit your mesh.

I get grey when I upload something with multiple materials from Blender, white if it's only one material. You could try changing the material colours to white if you're going to be doing lots of uploads for testing. I'm pretty sure I did something like that back in the days when I was able to manage complicated projects.

(OK, looks like I'm wrong again. Sorry.)

Edited by Bitsy Buccaneer

OK. It isn't an issue really, just one more step each time. I most always work with materials on for the view and ambient occlusion on before that step when in Solid mode  so the editing isn't an problem or wouldn't be if I switched to white. I get gray upload with single material meshes also, not white. I DO get white however if I port something over from another grid using the viewer download option probably because I have changed it to white in the model I saved from. 

Thanks all. 

You set the tint for Blender materials here:

594d4319de7fb_BlenderShading.png.4711d66a44a9762acc3923164d6848e4.png

Select a material in the list and crank the R, G, B and Intensity sliders all the way up to 1.000 and you get white. It's the same function as the colorizer in the SL build window (only a bit more advanced) and the data is included in the dae file. When you export from a grid with Fs or Singularity, you get the tint the material had inworld which is usually white. When you create a material in Blender, you get the default Blender gray unless you change it. If you get white tint for single face items made in Blender, it's because your default template was set up with a single white material.

Mesh Studio is a bit unusual since its dae files does not include the tint/shading data so it reverts to whatever is the default for the environment you import it into.

Btw, if somebody wonder why I have set the color to green in the screenshot, it's because it's from a rather complicated mesh with about 200 different materials. Color coded materials can be very helpful for such builds.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.