Viewer Crashes After Loggng In

Reymundo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I don't know why but at first it started with Second Life saying it failed to load things attached to me before crashing, now it simply crashes after being logged in for a barely a minute. I have uninstalled every viewer I've tried and reinstalled and the same result occurs. I can login on my Laptop without issues but my PC is what is constantly crashing. Doesn't matter I do. Is there any way of fixing this without formatting my computer?

5 answers to this question

It actually crashes, rather than disconnecting?  So you are just suddenly out of SL without any sort of error message? If so, it's unlikely to be due to a viewer or server issue.  It's more likely to be a problem with your computer or your Internet connection.  One of the scariest possibilities is overheating, either of your CPU or your graphics card.  SL is very graphics intensive, so it puts a heavy load on your graphics card, generating a lot of heat.  You should not be surprised by a temperature rise of as much as 20 degrees C in normal use.  If the temperature monitor in your computer consistently measures a GPU temperature above 80 C, though, you can be damaging the card. The computer will try to prevent damage by dumping you out of SL -- usually after only a minute or two.  To be sure that's not your problem, open the case and blow out accumulated dust bunnies and cat hair.  Make sure that your fans are all spinning properly.  And pay attention to your temperature monitor.  If you're working from a laptop, be very sure that you have good airflow around it, and consider having it professionally cleaned. 

Overheating is not the only possibility but, as I said, it's probably the scariest one, so rule it out before you go much farther.

That several viewers on the same computer have the same problem and a laptop doesn't, that suggests there is something your desktop doesn't like. Most probably something that upsets the video card.

Heat problems will usually give you a few minutes in SL. You can get CPUID Hardware Monitor (free) and track the max temp in the CPU and GPU. If you have heat problems open the case and clean the fans and heat sinks. Canned air works well. Don't over rev the fans with the canned air.

Try wearing the Ruth avatar in the laptop. (Develop->Avatar->Character Tests->Test male/female) Go to some place like Pooley or Furball. Log off.

Then try logging at last location in with your desktop. If it doesn't crash, it is something you were wearing or in the environment. If it does, give us your computer and viewer specs. Use the viewers HELP->ABOUT... you can capture that info before you login.

Well I was able to be on SL long enough to do the Ruth Avatar before it would do the whole "failed to load" attached stuff and body parts before saying it disconnected. I just can't figure out why my desktop would all of a sudden do it. It's been perfectly fine until I recently went to a sim. And from then on proceeded to disconnect no matter where I am. And no matter what account. Again just on the desktop. I also don't get this issue with anything but SL including other graphically heavy programs.

The viewer has various log files you can read to get an idea of what has gone wrong. Look at the log immediately after you crash or exit the viewer. Logs are replaced the next time a viewer starts. You’ll find the logs in:

C:\Users\[Win_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\

·         .crashreport.log – This log is generated when the viewer crashes, the previous version of the file is overwritten. Rename this file if you plan to restart the viewer before examining the file. Otherwise, just read it with a text viewer (Notepad is good).

·         .debug_info.log – This file is internally formatted as an XML file. I never find it of much use. It is mostly the specs of your machine.

·         .SecondLife.log – This is the main log file. I find it the most useful. Start from the end of the file and work toward the beginning. Search for ‘WARNING’ and ‘ERROR’. With any luck, the messages there will give you an idea of the problem. Recent changes have added section heading to parts of the file that can identify the general nature of the problem. There are lots of performance stats included.  At the end of a non-crash log there are secession stats;  Run Time, Average Packet Size, Dropped Packets, Resent Packets, etc. The file is replaced and recreated for each viewer secession.

·         .SecondLife.error_marker – I don’t know what information is inside. I don’t have a copy to examine as I write this.  The presence of the file indicates where, when, and what error happened. I think this is a disaster backup file for crash reporting in which information about the crash is retained in the event the crash handlers are destroyed before they can create the other more complete crash files.

·          .SecondLife.start_marker – There is no information inside. The presence of the file indicates how far into the start process the viewer has gotten. Whether the file exists or not is the pertinent information.

·          .SecondLifeCrashReport.log – This is another file internally formatted to XML.  It is created when the viewer crashes. I think this is the new version of the crash log. It is mostly text.

·          .stats.log – This is a short file containing network statistics. Similar information is in other log files. It is an easy to read set of stats that show how many packets were dropped and resent in a secession.

I find the SecondLife.log is the most useful file for tuning and troubleshooting the viewer. It is verbose and reasonably easy to understand. There is a Debug Setting that allows you to increase or decrease the level of reporting.

Most of these files are erased when the viewer starts. If you plan to send the files in with a trouble ticket or bug report, place copies in another folder before starting the viewer.

Marker files are temporary and may or may not exist at any given time.

Entries in the files associated with errors and warnings are labeled as such. That makes them easy to find by searching. Search and read through them starting at the end of the file and working backward.

Warning entries are common and do NOT necessarily mean there is a problem. Some warnings are a part of normal operation. Some errors are trivial and do not indicate a ‘noticeable’ problem in the viewer’s operation.

So I reinstalled Second Life but this time on my D drive and immediately turned the default graphics level down to between Low and Medium (it was by default between High and Ultra) which I've been able to run and there is no crashing. I;m not sure honestly what was causing the crashes between perhaps the drive (though my C and D drives are two partitions of the same drive) and the graphics setting. But I will definitely check those files the next time I have issues.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.